MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

Car tax changes

Car tax changes  - Forums [Biker Match] Car tax changes  - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

Car tax changes

Ok, Ok, no changes for bikes that I can see, but then we pretty much all have cars too...

Thinking of buying a new car*? If it's to be a low emission one, buy it BEFORE 1st April next year, but if it's a high emissions one, hold on until the new regime comes into place.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-...ou-need-to-know-abo...k-road-tax

*I'm laughing just typing that - I've never bought a new car, and short of winning big on the lottery, I don't ever plan to! Christ, you lose 20% of the value (the VAT) just by driving it away from the showroom

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 12/02/2016 11:03  

Well I get a new car every 3 years but as it goes with the job I don't have to worry about road tax.

I really do wish they would sort it out for bikes though but I've a feeling we are seen as a soft target. Pity really as I think they should be encouraging more people to ride. It makes you a nicer person :)

Update Reply
Gloom @ 12/02/2016 13:25  

The most your paying for a bike is 80 quid

Even for a 2.3 litre rocket 3

I fail to see why anyone would think they are been targeted? ??

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 12/02/2016 14:21  

Because I pay £81 for the 650. If it was a car I'd pay less.
It has low emissions doesn't take up a lot of parking space and is far more environmentally friendly than those bloody great 4x4s that people seem to use for the school run. The road tax is nearly as much as my insurance.

Update Reply
Gloom @ 12/02/2016 15:24  

there are only 2 rates relating to a cars cc and under 1500cc would cost you 145 quid.
i dont know what bike you ride but i would say emissions would be similar to a car engine of similar size. but if you'd bought a 600 you would've save yourself 20 quid in road tax and most bike parking is also free.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 12/02/2016 18:18  

I and many other have signed the petition to get Bike tax lowered and I received this back.

The Government has responded to the petition you signed – “Abolish road tax on Motorcycles.”.

Government responded:

The average motorcycle owner pays £54 VED per year whilst the average car owner pays £166. VED rates have been limited to inflation only increases since 2010.

Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) is a tax on vehicle ownership irrespective of miles driven.

The rates of VED for lower emissions cars are part of a multi-pronged strategy to help realise long-term fuel-efficiency improvements through funding technological innovation, regulating manufacturing improvements and incentivising consumer take-up. This helps the Government to fulfil its legal obligation to reduce national CO2 emissions.

Unlike for cars, it has only been mandatory for CO2 emissions data to be included as part of the type approval process for motorcycles since 1 January 2016. Therefore, it has not been possible to base motorcycle VED rates on CO2 emissions. The current engine capacity based rates offer the most practical and easy-to-understand way to reflect the respective emissions of motorcycles.

Currently, the average motorcycle owner pays £54 per year – a lot less than the top VED rate of £81 per year – and the average car owner pays £166 per year. In addition, under this Government, VED rate increases for motorcycles have been limited to inflation only, meaning that all motorcyclists’ VED liability remains unchanged in real terms since 2010.

HM Treasury

Click this link to view the response online:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/118875?reveal_response=yes

The Petitions Committee will take a look at this petition and its response. They can press the government for action and gather evidence. If this petition reaches 100,000 signatures, the Committee will consider it for a debate.

The Committee is made up of 11 MPs, from political parties in government and in opposition. It is entirely independent of the Government. Find out more about the Committee: https://petition.parliament.uk/help#petitions-committee

Thanks,
The Petitions team
UK Government and Parliament

You’re receiving this email because you signed this petition. Unsubscribe

Update Reply
JP @ 18/02/2016 22:02  

How anyone can say £80 is fine is quite mind boggling , guess it's the new British 'I'm alright Jack' attitude with a bit of spare reddies, unless your a professional rider, most bikes are recreational, most come out once a week at most , I only managed 6k miles on mine last year, that's a big chunk of change to fork out for such little use
, couple of years back it was £60, they reckon the tax rises has only matched inflation , bullsh*t

Update Reply
ExupRichR1 @ 20/02/2016 08:35  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email