MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Aftermarket exhausts

Aftermarket exhausts (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Aftermarket exhausts (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Aftermarket exhausts

NEVER underestimate the doziness of pedestrians on iphones!!!
Oh and cyclists with headphones!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/10/2015 14:27  

NEVER underestimate the doziness of pedestrians on iphones!!!
Oh and cyclists with headphones!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/10/2015 14:28  

NEVER underestimate the doziness of pedestrians on iphones!

Oh and cyclists with headphones!

PS WHY don't cyclists have rear view mirrors???

Ok moan over. That is all, carry on!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/10/2015 14:36  

Ooooo a TREBLE moan!

I AM excelling myself today!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/10/2015 14:38  

I had a loud pipe once and found the noise irritating until I got fast enough for the wind blast roar to drown it out. But I agree that however antisocial it sounds on the village green, making a loud noise gets you noticed and is therefore safer than everybody else having to rely on sight alone to spot you. I’ve even experienced it myself while in my car, heard the noise before I’ve seen the bike and then I’m already like “hey, hey, here comes a bike” well before I need to say “sorry mate, didn’t see you” lol So what we really want is standard pipes with no flat spots that make enough noise to get us noticed ! Are you listening EU legislators ? Or do I need to fit a louder pipe ? lol <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/10/2015 16:50  

Funny thing is there is no noise limit on pipes. To me it looks like manufactures deliberately make there pipes as quiet as possible.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/11/2015 17:43  

Noise attracts police, I like slightly muted so when I feel the need for speed it doesn't attract attention

Update Reply
ninjaturbo @ 09/11/2015 12:23  

If you don,t give it big fist fulls and keep the revs down when you see police even loud pipie should be OK

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 09/11/2015 12:50  

look at the harleys
need i say any more

Update Reply
havfun @ 09/11/2015 14:11  

Do i have to look at them

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 09/11/2015 15:19  

Aftermarket exhausts are one of the main tools if you want to alter the power characteristics/delivery of the bike.

But it has to be done correctly with fuel/air delivery alterations to complement it. Otherwise it's easy to cause more problems, including serious engine damage.

Update Reply
Flat-Rabbit @ 24/11/2015 14:11  

Road legal after market pipes don't have to be loud and most aren't till you take the DB-killer out.
leave it in and you have a nicer sound and you wont catch the ears of the cops

Update Reply
shakennstirred @ 13/01/2016 16:25  

Flat-rabbit is spot on,

Update Reply
MacBruce @ 14/01/2016 00:22  

Flat-rabbit is spot on, if fitting an after market pipe the engine needs to be tuned to complement it's characteristics which are often very different from the OE exhaust. If done 'professionally' there can be power increases to be gained but usually (not always) at the expense of less mpg. I don't have any liking for very loud exhaust so don't fit them but have fitted after market equipment to most of my bikes.The carbon exhaust fitted to my R1 (5JJ carbed model) and set up on a dyno gave significant power and torque improvements and although louder not significantly so. Economy is only slightly reduced.
I also had a Termignoni system on my Ducati 848, something that most Ducati dealers would recommend. The kit comes complete with new ECU and transforms the fuelling response especially at low speed ie. in built up areas and gives the engine the fuel it needs to run smoothly and not just to meet arbitrary EEC regulations. There are no problems with MOT and all totally legal.

Update Reply
MacBruce @ 14/01/2016 00:32  

I have Vance an Hines on one of my bikes there loud but don't get any probs from the police

Update Reply
trucker09 @ 19/01/2016 20:20  

In some circumstances after market exhausts, be it a simple end can, inter stage pipe, or full system can smooth out the torque curve, ergo the power delivery and improve the mid-range and top end significantly, but this is at the expense of the lower rev range.

Don't get confused that after market cans only mean race cans...this is nonsense. There are many after systems which maintain the legal noise limits and improve the power curve by allowing the system to breathe more easily. I agree that race cans/system attract unwanted attention and also just piss off other road users so give bikers in general a bad name.

Generally for homologation purposes VOSA etc will test a bike at a certain rev ceiling, so manufacturers tend to fleece the results by making the readings do funky stuff, usually at 5k rpm, hence why if you look at dyno charts you'll see a hole around this point...generally!

I had a zx7r that from about 4250 to 6 practically died, then you had a rush of power taking you up to silly speeds. I replaced the exhaust and jetting with still road legal parts and it made the bike far more tractable at rev ranges average riders like me use a bike at, usually the mid-range.

Update Reply
Gizzman @ 20/01/2016 19:58  

I have read a couple of times on here that race pipes attract the police. The pipes DONT attract the police as Bikerbill says its the rider that attracts the police. Hear it all the time Ive been done cus my pipes are race cans he had nothing better to do than pick on the bikers, Real story I was riding the wheels off it and got pulled over and he notice the " NOT FOR ROAD USE " stamped on it

Update Reply
JP @ 01/02/2016 07:00  

The premises that loud pipes save lives I don't think holds water.

I your pipe is loud enough for a pedestrian to hear then you'r probably traveling a lot faster than you should be for the engine revs to be that noisy. Giving pedestrians a lot less time to react.

I think soon noise regs on tracks will be so tight your only option will be a quite pipe anyway.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 01/02/2016 15:40  

I guess it depends what bike and whether you get the job done properly.... Ie new pipes probably means remapping something..... I prefer loud pipes..... Especially on a harleyy.... I put vance and hines on mine..... Initially with quiet baffles in because I hadn't hadnt changed air filter etc.... But once had stage one and I put air filter I took the quiet baffles out.... Fir beautiful sound and better ride....Just realised how old this post is!!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/02/2018 19:16  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email