MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Help for Short Rider

Help for Short Rider - Forums [Biker Match] Help for Short Rider - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Help for Short Rider

Hi All, I'm 5'2" and a bit ... doing my CBT soon and have found my bike, a CBR 125. This has probably the lowest seat height of all the bikes I liked but the dealer says it can't be lowered and I still can't get my feet flat on the floor. I'm not quite on tiptoes but would like a little more stability .... any suggestions?

Update Reply
firesign @ 21/02/2015 18:00  

If you Google 'CBR 125 lowering kit' there's basically two ways - removing some padding from inside the seat, or fit a shorter spring to the rear shock.

If you can build your confidence you may not need it lowered though ;-)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/02/2015 18:25  

Thanks very much I'll do that :) You're right I think about the confidence thing as both feet touch the floor either side and the bike is quite light ... I'm always going to have this problem so I may as well get used to it, particularly as I progress up to bigger bikes!! Someone did tell me about some ladies bike boots that have an insole that gives you a bit of extra height, I think Dainese and Daytona do them so I'll take a look at them too.

Update Reply
firesign @ 21/02/2015 18:33  

Hi fire sign, I am same height, you can get inserts for your boots off eBay which just give that extra 1 or 2 cm, which does give a bit more flat footing.

Update Reply
rowanblossom @ 21/02/2015 18:40  

Thanks Rowanblossom, that's just the kind of thing I was looking for .... off to ebay to investigate

Update Reply
firesign @ 21/02/2015 18:51  

Depending on the bike you want engine size, I have a CBF 500 which was lowered and fits nicely. Ducati and BMW have bikes that would fit nicely. I did try triumph but most are too high and won't lower sufficiently for me and I find the bonnie seats to wide. Best thing to do is sit on several bikes and see what is comfortable for you. I tried quite a lot before choosing. Still try em out at bike shows too. I tried the inzuma by Suzuki and although the leg length was supposed to be ideal the seat was, for me, to wide.

Update Reply
rowanblossom @ 21/02/2015 19:17  

Just getting started so have tried a number of 125s, Aprilia and Honda CBR were best. Aprilia too expensive so have decided on Honda. Will be another round of testing when I progress up to something bigger ... can't wait

Update Reply
firesign @ 21/02/2015 19:32  

The Honda should be OK for you with boot inserts. I passed on a cbr125. I was lucky I did so before the changes, so I used the school bike and then bought the bike had it restricted for two years. Its a wonderful adventure.

Without prying could you not go DAS?

Update Reply
rowanblossom @ 21/02/2015 19:48  

It's ok, you're not prying ... I have thought about DAS but I don't have the confidence, figured get my CBT and some experience on the road then I won't make a complete tit of myself lol

Update Reply
firesign @ 21/02/2015 20:58  

I can't get my feet 'flat' on the VFR but doesn't bother me unless you do that hilarious thing and stop on a road with a steep camber always one to watch out for' as for 'a complete tit' I did it just the other day, it happens. enjoy

Update Reply
VFR800AJ @ 21/02/2015 21:17  

AJ is right we all make eejits of ourselves at some point.

Speak to your instructor and after your CBT try out both 125 and DAS bikes that they have. Confidence comes with practice??. One thing over all advice, ride your own ride, and enjoy it.

Update Reply
rowanblossom @ 21/02/2015 21:53  

Don't worry about making a tit of yourself, I do it all the time (first ride out with BM I stuck my ZZR1100 into a wall). You might find a more suitable bike if you go down the DAS route. Most bikes can be lowered by changing dogbones and dropping forks.

Update Reply
SlowGoose @ 21/02/2015 23:51  

Hi Firesign I would agree with RB talk to your instructor when you're doing your CBT . People advised me to try as many different bikes as I could even just sitting on them in the showroom or at shows. That really helped me find a bike I was comfortable on.

As for making a fool of yourself - does it ever stop ?

Update Reply
Jackyan @ 22/02/2015 09:08  

I don't have any short @rse advice but as for making a tit of yourself. My huge experience on this subject is as follows.
Make sure to laugh louder than anyone else.
This will help turn a 'them and me' into a 'we'.
Enjoy your biking.

Update Reply
dustin666 @ 22/02/2015 12:53  

Have you thought about getting an older used bike with a lower seat height. The Suzuki GN 125 is semi custom styled and has a low seat height as well as being comfortable to ride long distances. Before we were married, Moonstone who is also 5' 2" got one for her CBT and got her feet comfortably on the ground. I had to ride it from Redditch to Hemel Hempstead when she moved in with me. It took nearly 3 hours but I was comfortable on it throughout. You should get a nice one for around £1000 with it easy to look after and spares readily available and cheap. e.g. Chinese made replacement fork legs complete including oil for £85!

Update Reply
Cataraptor @ 22/02/2015 14:23  

You guys are awesome ... thanks sooo much :) It really does help to know I'm not alone in my "tit" moment and you have given me an awful lot to think about. I'm having a 2 hour lesson next Sunday as a precursor to my CBT so will definitely talk to them about going down the DAS route.

Update Reply
firesign @ 22/02/2015 15:07  

Hi Firesign.
You don't need to get both feet flat on the floor, only one will do.
With your right foot on the back brake you can then move your bum over to the left of the seat making it easier to get your left foot on the floor.
With the back brake on, it stops the wheels move and with the bike now leaning slightly over to the left, your left leg on the floor now makes a tripod with the two wheels.

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 22/02/2015 18:43  

Thank you Ragnar, I can easily do that on the CBR, makes sense

Update Reply
firesign @ 22/02/2015 19:04  

To be honest as Ragnar says you don't need two feet flat on the ground.

Far too many people fall into this trap and worry about the length of there legs and seat height. It really simply isn't that important.

Getting your balance and self confidence is the most important thing to do. It will come as long as you try.

Personally I am about six and a half ft tall and every now and then miss balance. Some times even I can run out of leg length and topple. If you let this worry you will never get on a bike.

I have a few friends who are also short in the leg. One is about 5 and a bit tall and rides rallie raid bikes. Saddles are about 1 meter high and he is ok!

Get out there sit on every thing you can and find what works for you it's the only way. And rember, it's not the length of your leg that matters.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/02/2015 21:51  

'Ragnar' and 'sense' in the same sentence?

Now there's a first!'

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/02/2015 21:52  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email