MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

Joey Dunlop voted Greatest Ever Sportsman

Joey Dunlop voted Greatest Ever Sportsman - Forums [Biker Match] Joey Dunlop voted Greatest Ever Sportsman - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

Joey Dunlop voted Greatest Ever Sportsman

As a means of respect and a lifelong fan I thought I'd post this news that many will already know but some may not. Personally I haven't yet found a word in the English language good enough for this man! The late, great William Joseph Dunlop was acclaimed this week as Northern Ireland's Greatest Sports Star Ever, beating the last likes of George Best and Rory McIlroy in the process. To call him a legend for his record-breaking, high-speed exploits would be to knowingly undersell him and the fact he never saw himself in anywhere approaching those terms only added to the charm and affection in which he continues to be held, nearly 15 years after his tragic death in a racing accident, doing what he loved - riding bikes and helping people - on an aid mission to Estonia in July 2000. Over 50,000 people attended his funeral!!! The sporting superstar and legend was an ordinary man who did extraordinary things, yet never displayed any of the trappings or mannerisms associated with fame. He lived, dressed, ate, drank and smoked as he pleased in a way that defied all the conventions of a lifestyle associated with sporting excellence. Joey flew in the face of every health and fitness regime we know today, remaining at the top in motorcycle racing over 30 years by virtue of his natural ability to make his racing motorcycles go faster and perform better than anyone else's. As a mark of respect, the Estonian government's official website was replaced with a tribute to Joey within hours of his death and a granite memorial erected at the spot in the woods where he died. I was speaking with the Joey Dunlop Foundation Trust Chairman at the weekend who told me they still keep the memorial in pristine condition all these years later. Fantastic! Joey transformed road racing into the industry it is today. He loved to race and he had a gift not just for perfecting his style of racing, but also had an amazing technical know how. Joey Dunlop OBE, MBE (February 25, 1952 - July 2, 2000) Joey was 16 when he bought his first motorcycle and his road-racing career lasted 32 years. He won 230 road races across the world Joey won the Isle of Man TT 26 times, including three hat-tricks (1985, 1988 and 2000). He won the North West 200 133 times and the Ulster Grand Prix on 24 occasions. In 1986, he won a fifth consecutive TT Formula One world title. He won the Tom Herron Memorial Trophy five times. Joey was awarded the MBE in 1986 for his services to the sport and, in 1996, he was awarded the OBE for his humanitarian work for children in Romanian orphanages In 2005, he was voted the fifth greatest motorcycling icon ever by Motorcycle News. RIP THE LEGEND THAT IS "YER MAUN" JOEY DUNLOP

Update Reply
Owd Stokey @ 29/01/2015 22:00  

who typed that for you

hes a legend

Update Reply
stutts @ 05/02/2015 21:49  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email