MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Scottoiler again

Scottoiler again - Forums [Biker Match] Scottoiler again - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Scottoiler again

For the last 20+years I've only had shaft drives bikes because I hated doing chain maintenance, until I bought a Triumph and now the chain on my Tiger needs replacing and I'm thinking about getting a Scottoiler for the bike, but have no idea on if they are any good.
Someone told me that they didn't need to adjust their chain in 1,000 miles, then another person said they clog up.

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 16/12/2014 17:14  

Its all down to getting it set up right if its too high it dumps the lot if its too low it dont work.
Hope that helps lol

Update Reply
JP @ 16/12/2014 17:19  

With that answer I'm still sitting on the fence. lol

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 16/12/2014 17:23  

They work brilliantly and would not have a chain drive without one.
Chain adjustment is usually done when I change the tyres!
Had my first one on a RF900 many years back, chain lasted 30k miles and was still going fine when I sold it.
Tiger 885 ditto.
TDM 900 lasted 30k too, second chain still fine when I sold the bike at 40k.
Current bike Tiger 1050, 20k miles and chain good. Tyres lasting 5 to 6k On the Tiger and no need to adjust the chain between tyres.
I can't rate them highly enough.
Don't bother with twin feeds though, it just clogged up on the inside but that might be just me or the fact it was rubbing on the sprocket!
The oil in the standard reservoir usually last 500 miles, but that depends on the weather - in the wet you might need to turn it up.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 16/12/2014 20:15  

My bad memories go back to the 80's dispatching a Honda CB250RS and replacing the chain every six weeks, that's when I bought aCX500 and thought F?$@ these chains

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 16/12/2014 20:54  

When i was dispatching and i had a bike with a chain i had a scottoiler or rigged up something similar.

For example my old vfr750 would eat a chain and sprockets in 20,000 miles with out and with an oiler they would last about 60,000 miles.

The only down side is they make a little mess. If its set up right its not a big issue.

If i ever own another bike with a chain (which i doubt!) then it will have an oiler.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/12/2014 21:27  

I like my Tiger and like most blokes at one time or another, we get Pussy Stuck.

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 16/12/2014 21:51  

I'm a scottoiler fan, and have the electric version on my Varadero.

It doesn't excuse you from cleaning the chain regularly though, or pretty soon you're just dripping oil onto dirt and it's not going to penetrate the filth and reach the chain where it's actually needed.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/12/2014 11:36  

do it right withoil can
chain and cogs will do 35000 pluss

Update Reply
havfun @ 17/12/2014 15:38  

The main problem I have with doing it manually Havfun is, er,doing it!
An automatic oiler is pretty much fit and forget which is right for an idle sod like me.
It only takes 500 miles of dry chain to knacker it. A long camping weekend can easily hit that let alone a weeks holiday.
I know theoretically I could clean/oil the chain at the campsite or hotel but when the bar is calling....

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 17/12/2014 20:20  

only trouble with fit and forget is
you forget to fill it up
same as the two stroke bikes with seperate oil tank
they rembered about feeding it fuel and il do the oil tank at weekend
they were two buizzy riding them untill the squeeeking stop sound
you got the oh dam i forgot to do that again

oh the joys of working in a bike shop

Update Reply
havfun @ 17/12/2014 22:28  

i,d go for a scottoiler there brilliant,

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 18/12/2014 00:30  

Scotoiler all the way. Set up right it lasts ages, no fuss, little mess and you don't ruin your manicure!

Update Reply
rowanblossom @ 18/12/2014 20:56  

There you go chris. You know what you are like about your nails.

Update Reply
xj @ 19/12/2014 16:26  

scot oilers a good bit of kit, but just another option my mates got one of these on his VFR 750 and rates it very highly.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TUTORO-AUTO-Fully-Automatic-motorcycle-chain-oiler-/161408753932?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2594b6210c

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/12/2014 20:58  

Thanks all for the advice. It was rowanblossom who really sold me on the idea with no more manky nails. I bought a touring one today so even lest time mucking about with the chain and more time in the pub with the likes of Steve H.
And XJ I know how jealous you are of my lovely manicured nails.

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 22/12/2014 18:42  

Always happy to help :-)

Update Reply
rowanblossom @ 22/12/2014 20:34  

Scot oiler fan for 30 years.
If you run a bit of the clear tubing in clear site. Ya can spot when a topup is due.
I keep a small oil btl under mi seat.
Any oil on your bike will wipe off with a baby wipe.

Update Reply
dustin666 @ 22/12/2014 22:46  

Scotoiler worth every penny(especially when gotal injector free) fitted one to my Tiger 1050 last year main body fitted snuggly under seat chain seemed to need less adjustment also after fitting it.

Update Reply
Big Lad @ 25/12/2014 19:19  

A Scottoiler now fitted on the bike. Thanks everyone.

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 29/12/2014 20:10  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email