MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Please sign we may just get A pothole fixed

Please sign we may just get A pothole fixed (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Please sign we may just get A pothole fixed (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Please sign we may just get A pothole fixed

I dont doubt the valdity of your argument, but you do the maths for tje last 3 decade and tell me why our roads are crap but Spain have brilliant roads.

Update Reply
Double six @ 16/11/2014 21:14  

I dont doubt the valdity of your argument, but you do the maths for tje last 3 decade and tell me why our roads are crap but Spain have brilliant roads.

Update Reply
Double six @ 16/11/2014 21:14  

Another thing to think about.
As bikers we cause minimal wear to a road.
But, and I'm going to generalise here, must of us just ride about not really going anywhere in particular.
Every year a lot of use stick our bikes in various ditches, hedges, trucks etc due to over enthusiasm while getting there.
The average cost of a motor accident to the economy is £56,000.
To the non-biking public it must seem we are just a waste of money and we should be banned and forced to take up gardening!
So be careful about pointing the finger at others and saying they are wasting money.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 16/11/2014 21:24  

Double six, that might be something to do with sticking a stew in the EU pot and sucking hard lol.
We're just bloody stupid in this country!

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 16/11/2014 21:28  

You may be right about the EUpot, and your comment about some bikers is also valid, but where has all the money gone from the cars, trucks and buses using the roads on a daily basis? The vast majority of bike riders dont stuff their pride and joy into othe vehicles, road furniture and ditches, yes we all get tarred with the same brush by those who dont ride, but we already pay for road upkeep and have done for a long time with little work being done anyway.

Update Reply
Double six @ 16/11/2014 21:35  

MCN Save Our Roads Campaign
The Petition

Sign now to help save our roads from ruin

The road network is Britain’s most valuable asset (Action For Roads report, DfT), yet we currently spend less that 1% of the asset value maintaining it. Britain’s roads are in a woeful condition, and they will get worse every year unless we act. Every year that the Government waits before acting adds yet more cost to fixing the problem. And meanwhile, we, as motorcyclists, are among the most likely to get hurt by hitting potholes.

Here is what we believe should happen:
2p from the 57.95p that Government takes from every litre of fuel should go to preventative road maintenance. This guaranteed income of around £1billion would allow highways authorities to plan maintenance properly.The Government’s Code of Practice for road maintenance should be rewritten for 21st century traffic conditions and budget constraints. All road authorities should have a competent Asset Management Plan, forcing them to think long term about road maintenance.
By signing the MCN Save Our Roads Petition you will send out a message to the Government that it can no longer ignore the danger to motorcyclists caused by potholes and deteriorating road surfaces. So please sign and ask your friends to sign too.

Our roads: the facts

- £976 million is the amount currently allocated per year to highway maintenance yet £12 billion is required to bring Britain’s roads up to a standard where no immediate repair is necessary

- The Government raises £33 billion through tax on petrol each year yet allocates none of this revenue to road maintenance

- 18% of Britain’s roads are classed as being in poor condition

- 70% of people are dissatisfied with the state of UK roads

Click here to sign our petition

Update Reply
JP @ 16/11/2014 22:00  

Googling "Potholes.co.uk - Home Page" may result in a link to a website relevant to this topic.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/11/2014 22:08  

gonna put it out there. Would rather have the roads and motorways fixed than have the HS2.

Update Reply
rowanblossom @ 17/11/2014 12:46  

You dont have a choice with the HS2 it will go though

Update Reply
JP @ 17/11/2014 13:03  

HS2 is a white elephant, just another opportunity for rich londoners to buy cheap properties and land in the more picturesque north. How many working people need to get from the north to london in a short time? certainly not everyday.

Update Reply
Double six @ 17/11/2014 13:12  

Oh and no, it is not going through my back yard, that is not the reason I am against it.

Update Reply
Double six @ 17/11/2014 13:13  

Oh I know we are stuck with it....not to mention the next leg of Manchester to Leeds. But, if they re-organised the roads, fixed em and had better traffic management, it would be far more cost effective and efficient.

Update Reply
rowanblossom @ 17/11/2014 13:50  

Signed :-)

Update Reply
Saltaire @ 17/11/2014 21:43  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email