MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Do you remember your first big bike? or ride out on one?

Do you remember your first big bike? or ride out on one? - Forums [Biker Match] Do you remember your first big bike? or ride out on one? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Do you remember your first big bike? or ride out on one?

Today I was sorting out some old photographs and came across a photo of my first big bike. I jumped from a 250 super-dream to a gpz1100 . Wow I felt Awesome, I was fully legal but felt like I was doing something naughty. Some people say that the biggest moments in your life are marriage , buying a house, your first baby ect. To me this was one of the big moments and I don't know if anybody else had that feeling. Gave me goose bumps seeing that old photo again.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/09/2014 15:46  

My first ride out was with a group of really lovely people off here about two years ago. Went to North Wales. It was an absolutely amazing feeling.

Update Reply
rowanblossom @ 05/09/2014 16:08  

yes i was 17 and i was riding two bikes a 1981 xv750 (not the cruiser) and a gsx400f they were ace

Update Reply
zzrbabe42 @ 05/09/2014 16:48  

You were riding a virago Debz ? (sniggers)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/09/2014 17:17  

This is an interesting topic and cjninja should be congratulated for introducing it. The definition of a “Big Bike” is, however, nebulous. Looking through the archives, in the 1950s a 600/650cc machine was regarded as a BB, although on rare occasions a 500 could be described as such. By the mid-1970s the lower limit for a BB was 650cc; bikes between 350 and 550 were regarded as “middleweights”. BMW was the only major manufacturer producing a model in the awkward-to-describe 600cc category. (The Soviets, for reasons best known to themselves, advertised their 650cc Ural and Dnieper combos as “commuters”.) More recently, I’ve seen a 900cc bike described as a “middleweight” and an 800 as a “commuter”. Of course, this varies from model to model; a 600cc sports bike, for example, wouldn’t be described as a “commuter”, but the Kawasaki ER-6 is frequently portrayed as one. When I was a kid, I remember the Suzuki GT 380 looked huge, although I later learned it was indeed a big-sized bike for its capacity.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/09/2014 13:18  

The only bike I've owned that could be described as "Big" was an ex-police BMW R80RT, which I picked up for £600 in 1990 - an incredible bargain even then. I'll tell you what - I've been less comfortable in limousines. That fairing was amazing for a 1980s bike. I remember a ride in convoy in the dark from Wirral to Hull to the Cods'n'Sods Rally and it bucketed down all the way along the M62. Everyone else was cold and miserable - I didn't want the ride to end, because I was enjoying it so much.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/09/2014 20:59  

1969. My sister's boyfriend took delivery of the first Triumph Trident in Cumberland.

At the time , quite an awesome machine. I was fourteen years old. . He wouldn't let me ride it but took me for a blast out to Siloth. Amazing power.

Checking the specs on the Triumph site reveals it had a massive, claimed 58 bhp.

Omg . I was on the back of a bleddy moped lol.

Update Reply
dustin666 @ 11/09/2014 17:37  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email