MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

plea for help in Cumbernauld

plea for help in Cumbernauld - Forums [Biker Match] plea for help in Cumbernauld - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

plea for help in Cumbernauld

Recently bought a 1992 Yamaha Virago XV535E trike. Following a 120 mile round trip run last weekend I turned the engine off to put it in garage and it wouldnt start up again. Dif was also leaking oil badly. Dont know if the things are related but want to know if the engine is fixable before I do anything about the dif. Anyone local that can help?? Please?? Pretty please????

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/09/2014 21:40  

Were to start? some points to check!

1/ 535's are prone to killing there charging system's. battery can die or be down on power to spin motor over and give power to CDI!

2/ earth's check them all.

3/ have you got a spark?

4/ Fuel is the tap working?

5/ no oil leak is nothing to do with non-starting

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/09/2014 22:08  

Yes I know its simple but do you have fuel in the tank ? I know I have run out just as I got home

Update Reply
JP @ 05/09/2014 17:16  

Yup def plenty fuel in the tank. That one im sure of. New battery a month or so ago so wouldnt expect that to be the problem. As for the earths, spark and fuel tap...not a clue??????? Its a woman thing.
Didnt think the dif oil leak would stop the engine starting. Was concerned that riding with the dif damaged would put pressure on the rear wheels that might cause a strain on the engine and might have damaged it?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/09/2014 00:04  

Hi thdre hf...the 535s are infamous for killing starter clutches giving the impression of a weak battery the 750s also suffer the same....the parts are obtainable but might have to search a bit and there is second hand ones that will be ok to use ....
as for the diff depends on what was used for the build as with some trikes the diff has to be fitted upside down because the direction of spin of the engine hence some vented diffs have the vent welded up and the diff gets packed about 70/30.% oil and molly grease...over filling or wrong grade of oil can cause weeps

Update Reply
nellie @ 07/09/2014 01:09  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email