MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Pushing hard on your pegs or not on corners?

Pushing hard on your pegs or not on corners?  - Forums [Biker Match] Pushing hard on your pegs or not on corners?  - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Pushing hard on your pegs or not on corners?

My question is: Do you recommend pushing down on your pegs when you take a corner or not? Rossi had his own idea on this one.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/08/2014 18:38  

I found it can help with the Harley if Im a bit to hot going round a roundabout or tight bend, but with most other bikes I think it may end in a not so good way

Update Reply
JP @ 30/08/2014 19:13  

Down to the rider.
Do what feels right for you.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/08/2014 19:18  

I'm with XKLYBR on this one. Can't remember ever doing so consciously myself, though of course this doesn't mean I've never done it.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/08/2014 19:45  

I actually can't remember ever pushing down?, but I did get the bike quite low, I'm thinking I rode it light and didn't push down, what extra control would you have anyway? I can only remember flowing around corners like water down a bendy slide.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/08/2014 19:52  

If you want to make it slide or want to control how far it lies down or influence the way it stands up coming out of a corner it can help.

More of a fast ride aid than a relaxed riding style. Can help control a wheelie mid corner as well. ;-)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/08/2014 19:54  

There's also the idea of "Countersteering" to be taken into account. Apparently, we all do this to an extent, subconciously or otherwise. Does this involve the footrests, or is imput solely through the handlebars?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/08/2014 21:27  

Never managed to pop it up, but would love to learn that one.
One friend always does endo's, but so funny when he pops it too far and then needs help to pick his bike up!!!!

Shouldn't laugh,but he laughs about it :D

I use to ping my pegs, so I knew I was well over with the flow.
So I guess Stuie you're saying yes to pressure on your pegs. Uumm
Thanks for adding a comment, giving me food for thought.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/08/2014 21:31  

Turn it on on the front brake
Heavey counter steer still on front brake ,feed in the throttle in a low gear, heavey on inside peg and hang the arse end out, when it goes too far or you want to stand it up heavey pressure on out side peg and ease off front brake very gently. 8-D

Sorry officer the voices made me do it PS doing it at slow speeds or not being gentle enough will result in a high side !

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/08/2014 22:33  

My cornering technique; Reach bend and stop. Dismount. Pull back of motorcycle around until the machine is facing in the desired direction. Remount. Ride forward to next bend/corner and repeat.
Haven't fallen off once.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/09/2014 20:44  

and I thought o was the only one to use that method Valencia haha

Update Reply
the vtwin twin @ 04/09/2014 18:14  

CBFthou, low pegs. Usually have to lift mi foot off the pegs to stop them scraping on the ground.

Countersteer, always , loads more fun. V useful for pothole and squashed bunny avoidance on bends.

Update Reply
dustin666 @ 04/09/2014 22:23  

Push too hard on the pegs and you wind up in a standing position 8-)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/09/2014 10:24  

Have never knowingly put pressure through the pegs but a bit of pressure to the "inside" bar tightens your line. If in doubt listen to Stuie (cos he does real road miles) not Rossi (who doesn't)

Update Reply
SlowGoose @ 06/09/2014 01:47  

PS- am assuming you meant Valentino Rossi, the racer.

Update Reply
SlowGoose @ 07/09/2014 02:11  

SG - I don't think Pennycoin was referring to Jonathan Rossi, the well-known, self-satisfied, pretentious south-eastern pain in the backside of TV infame. Still, you could ask.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/09/2014 02:31  

Val, you're a ####! Lol

Yes Valentino Rossi, and I like you're Corning technic Val...so you...
Perhaps you should look at Stuie 'Sensible' answer.....alien!

Stop making me laugh or I might end up peeing my pants all the time like you!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/09/2014 17:45  

after our talk about this i have been paying more an more attention to which i do an i put no pressure on the pegs at all when leaning into or outta corners but as was stated s'pose its a personal thing

Update Reply
bikerfzr @ 07/09/2014 18:13  

Ummm so FZR, do you think you counter steer then? Got to be honest when I was on the back I wasn't concentrating. ;) lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/09/2014 18:42  

not sure tbh , depends if i am out for hard ride ;-)

no ya wouldnt of noticed cause i ride totally different with a pillion no matter how good a pillion they are :-D

Update Reply
bikerfzr @ 07/09/2014 19:00  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email