MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

v twin or 4 cylinder??

v twin or 4 cylinder?? (2) - Forums [Biker Match] v twin or 4 cylinder?? (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

v twin or 4 cylinder??

Thanks for the explanation, I will have a look at a translap, but my heart still belongs to a gladius ??

Update Reply
TAB007 @ 09/06/2014 21:40  

Yet again Tab, another crackingly good bike. Full power there quick too. Nice low saddle and sweet handling to boot.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/06/2014 21:49  

I've seen a pink one too! Lol

Update Reply
TAB007 @ 09/06/2014 22:08  

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm pink,
No comment!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/06/2014 22:48  

Hi Tab,
I have a Hayabusa, and had my 1200 bandit, but have traded the bandit for A VStom 1000, a very nice twin, luggage, and stuff, very different as engine breaking is higher, but loads of fun, different seat height options, however at the end of the day, everyone who rides a bike has preferences, and dont be swayed from what you would like, I did that and it wasnt a good experience, never got on well with it until it was gone.
Very personal choice!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/06/2014 06:14  

My SV thou is very thirsty, doesn't seem to make a difference how I ride. Dont know if its a thing with revvy v-twins but if you care about fuel consumption dont get one. Handles nice tho, very flickable and a nice power delivery with good engine braking. Maybe a 650 would suit you

Update Reply
SlowGoose @ 20/06/2014 22:56  

And to add to the chain versus shaft debate- a chain and sprocket kit for a big bike is gonna be £120+ and need regular maintanance but a shaft drive is the work of the devil and fit only for things with too many wheels

Update Reply
SlowGoose @ 20/06/2014 23:07  

'work of the devil' realy Mr Goose?

Chain £120 ever 30,000 miles plus £20 ever 1000 for lube

Shaft falure maybe every 200,000 miles at about £150 to replace and a bevel box might fail after that at about £700 ( new price not used) oil change every 50,000 £10.

Modern shafts dont effect the handling, unless your as good as Rossie you will never know.

Been riding shafts for 20 years now and to be honnest there less hassle and handle just as well. The only advantage a chain can give on a road bike as far as i can see is it might give you less unsprung weight. But even that gap is close as the shaft drive weight also includes the swing arm. With the weight argument people often forget the weight of the swing arm and the chain as one unit.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 23/06/2014 18:33  

I love the character of V twins...... but, Japanese 4's are amazing and reliable work horses at very good prices. I ride a CBF1000 and am kind of glad I do when I'm belting up country on a motorway. The CBF is a bit soulless but it's not overly big for a bike that genuinely carries a pillion in comfort and has 3 seat heights to suit all riders; very important to get a good foot down on bigger bikes.

Have owned plenty of jap 4's and they do what they say on the tin. It's kind of down to preference, but reliability and running costs are important if you intend to use the thing and put some miles in.

Update Reply
ColinB @ 24/06/2014 20:04  

most modern bikes are fairly reliable these days.as for chain or shaft i have to say the only thing that says shaft is good to me is it means i can be lazy about maintenance BUT its all down to personal choice.
go round the shops chick and get some test rides in.you will never know if you will like it and get on with it unless you do some serious testing.case in point a girl on one of the facebook forums bought a new ducati think it was the 899 or summat and she only did one short test ride and then bought it cos she thought it looked the dogs!!! so £13,000 later and she hates it.she cant ride it and its uncomfortable!! always do ride everything and do a few miles before deciding.vtwin/triple more engine braking and loads more fun.inline four less engine braking and not as much fun but depends on what you get take your time and dont but the first thing you like

Update Reply
zzrbabe42 @ 04/07/2014 07:01  

Thanks all, I've seen a bandit I like, so may pop along and see how it few. I think first bike is going to be cheap and cheerful until I'm more confident, but I've still got to pass test yet, but I can't wait. Thanks everyone x

Update Reply
TAB007 @ 05/07/2014 22:14  

@Stuie-"been riding shafts for 20 years"....really mate lol

Update Reply
SlowGoose @ 18/07/2014 22:55  

oh really stuie :P haha

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 18/07/2014 22:56  

Ohh yesssss

Thats why i walk funny dont you know !

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 18/07/2014 23:06  

Update Reply
SlowGoose @ 18/07/2014 23:10  

Just found out the Ariel Ace is shaft drive so I retract all comments I have made.
Mr Stu is absolutely correct- shaft is best. Specially when connecting a 1200 V4 to a single sided swingarm mounted rear wheel, all housed in an exquisite frame that's carved out of a single piece of billet.

Update Reply
SlowGoose @ 04/08/2014 21:50  

I haven't got a clue what any of that means! Lol

Update Reply
TAB007 @ 05/08/2014 13:43  

Lol just nod, smile and say yes!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/08/2014 17:13  

I'm nodding, smiling and saying lots of yeses! Lol

Update Reply
TAB007 @ 10/08/2014 21:50  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email