MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

v twin or 4 cylinder??

v twin or 4 cylinder?? - Forums [Biker Match] v twin or 4 cylinder?? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

v twin or 4 cylinder??

Whilst shopping for my first big bike, I've been given lots of information, but I'd like your opinions. What's better for a new biker - a v twin or a 4 cylinder?

Update Reply
TAB007 @ 01/06/2014 16:41  

it depends what you go for as in what style?? the vtr is a vtwin and is quite a handful for a new biker but some cruisers are vtwins but are boring as hell for some people.what i like is the triumph 675 speed triple very light,flickable,loads of fun plenty of power without being vicious they are a triple.but what the best idea always is go round all the shops sit on everything and test ride everything you can and if you need a shopping buddy for advice me and russ are available to help.but the final choice has to be yours hun.what your happy with

Update Reply
zzrbabe42 @ 01/06/2014 19:37  

in the mean time you are knocking up the miles it all adds to more experiance

Update Reply
havfun @ 01/06/2014 20:47  

The best big bike is one that fit's you physically and you like the look of.
I wouldn't get too hung up on the amount of cylinders, I'd be more concerned about what you intend to do with it.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 02/06/2014 18:33  

Agree with street triple comments had mine 2 years 13000 miles love it go test ride one .

Update Reply
colin675 @ 02/06/2014 18:34  

Also decide whether in you want chain or shaft drive. The best bike is the one you feel comfortable on, especially if you are doing a lot of mileage.

Update Reply
rowanblossom @ 04/06/2014 21:35  

I always prefure riding twins ;-)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/06/2014 22:49  

Agree with Steve H and RB, it's what you feel comfy with.

Update Reply
Wills @ 04/06/2014 23:17  

What's a shaft driven bike?

Update Reply
TAB007 @ 05/06/2014 21:03  

Means ya don't have to clean the chain :-) .

What are the advantages and disadvantages of shaft-drive bikes and chain-driven bikes?

The major benefits of shaft-drive are lower maintenance and running costs, and cleanliness. Chain-drive bikes need their chains adjusting regularly and they can be expensive to replace when they wear out.

They need lubricating often, especially in bad weather, which can be messy and inconvenient. And chain lube adds to the running costs.

Shaft-drive systems are fully enclosed and are unaffected by the weather and only need periodic oil changes.

The disadvantages of shaft-drive are that it is a lot heavier than a chain and absorbs more of the engine’s power before it reaches the rear wheel compared to a chain system.

A shaft-drive can also change the action of the rear suspension - when the throttle is opened and closed quickly the bike can rise and squat because the shaft is trying to “climb” the cog on the back wheel. 

Update Reply
rowanblossom @ 05/06/2014 21:20  

Sounds interesting, I need to find one and ride it! Lol

Update Reply
TAB007 @ 05/06/2014 21:24  

I have an SV thou and my mate has a Virago, both V-twins but very, very different. He also has a Blackbird and I have a ZZR, both inline 4's and very similar.
Engine braking is better with the twin, which can make for a smoother ride but as mentioned above it's all down to personal choice- what do you want from your bike??
Maybe your choice should be more about the style of ride- cruiser or sportsbike or upright

Update Reply
SlowGoose @ 05/06/2014 21:35  

youv seen mine

Update Reply
havfun @ 05/06/2014 22:26  

Tbh a modern shaft drive wont effect the handling, not enough for a mortal to notice.

Personaly i doubt i will ever get a chain driven bike again.

Lol as with twins a shaft drive also can be full of inuendos 8-)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/06/2014 23:25  

When I pass I want to do some rallies down south, I want to tour round west side of Scotland and possibly ride to work. I don't want a sports bike, I'm not a speed freak, I enjoy bimbling rather than racing but having said that my 125 is now much too slow!

Update Reply
TAB007 @ 06/06/2014 07:19  

Shaft drive might be worth a look at for the sort of stuff you want to do. Its lovley to get home and just walk in then get back on the next next with out any affing with chain care.

Plenty good easy to ride shafty's out there these days.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/06/2014 08:02  

Thanks all, I need to investigate options further x

Update Reply
TAB007 @ 08/06/2014 22:22  

Chains are easy to look after and shaft drives can fail.... There's no perfect solution. Go for a bike that fits you, can take luggage, and has a nice upright riding position - much more comfy on long runs .
Have you looked at a Honda Transalp?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/06/2014 08:58  

Translap?? No, not seen one.

Update Reply
TAB007 @ 09/06/2014 19:07  

Transalp, very good strong dependable bike...very underrated tbh.

Nice v twin engine from the couriers fave bike the NTV dueville.

Easy to ride and able to cover ground at speed too.

The chain v shaft is an argument that is as old as the bike its self. Theres a reason couriers prefure shafts but chains are getting better lasting longer.

Yes shafts can fail but normaly last a few hundred thousand miles before giving problems..

Basicly a chain needs tlc and replacement every 20-50,000 miles costing about £200 a time. And you need the cost of the oil at about £10 per 500-1000 miles.

In my experiance shafts last about 200,000 miles ( only ever had two let go in 20 years) shafts normaly cost about £100 and bevel boxies cost between £300 and £900. Failed shaft drives or bevel boxies are easer to replace on the side of the road than a failed chain as well. They are basicly maintance free but do need some care such as periodic greasing of shaft splines and bevel box oil changes. Looked after they do last forever.

Theres a reason cars all now use shaft drive and not chain drive.

There is also an enviromental issue with chains which is one reason manufactures are slowly moving towards belts and shafts.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/06/2014 21:27  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email