MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Cleaning the chain

Cleaning the chain - Forums [Biker Match] Cleaning the chain - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Cleaning the chain

Hi everybody, I am a newbie. The weather man says the sun is going to shine tomorrow, so I am going to clean the chain on my Hornet. Never done it before so I'm after some tips. I have rear paddock stand , WD40 cleaner and lube and a special little brush. Thanks guys Shelley

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/05/2014 08:33  

do not put wd40 on your chain!!!! it will get into the links and destroy the o rings.if you must clean your chain(although not sure why) use motor oil.if you can take it off soak it in petrol and then in oil before replacing and then lubeing.but if you have any kinks or tight spots then the only way forward is to replace the chain.wd40 is no good for cleaning chains !!!

Update Reply
zzrbabe42 @ 30/05/2014 16:13  

Think WD40 chain cleaner GK meant ZZR, instructions will be on back of cleaner spray GK, make sure you wash it off completely in time given on tin so as not to damage 'o' or 'x' link seals

Update Reply
ExupRichR1 @ 30/05/2014 18:20  

I asked a motorbike mechanic about the WD40 damaging the chain O rings, his response was "utter rubbish mate!"

I use the Asda cheapo WD40 copy - spray on and whizz chain through the chain cleaner brush - clean off with a rag, repeat.

Once chain is looking shiny and clean, apply the chain lube, generously, leave for a few mins then wipe the excess off and job done

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 31/05/2014 13:25  

Wd40 melts some plastics. Given time it may damage the o rings.

Honda recomends ep80/90 oil for cleaning and lubing o ring chains. Its in the owners handbook. Well it was in the book for the last honda i owned so unless they have changed it, its a case of Read The Flipping Manual.

Just be carefull if you spin the wheel when cleaning the chain getting your fingures drawn in between the sprocket and chain is nasty and messy...its also bloody hurts!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/06/2014 00:41  

I knew some one who used to just clean it with soapy water, let it dry then geased it after and it did the trick

Update Reply
bikerchick200 @ 03/06/2014 08:19  

You can buy specific cleaners and lubes for this job.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/06/2014 12:03  

A bit late but get yourself a small jamjar put 30 mm of ep90 gear oil followed by 10mm of white spirit. Mix and apply with a brush while spinning the rear wheel with your right hand. Run chain through rang to pull off all excess and over time your chain will become clean and well lubricated. Sadly I do my chain every 200 miles or sooner if it is dry and normally get around 30K miles out of them.

MTS1200

Update Reply
MTS1200 @ 20/08/2014 11:35  

I must admit when I used to commute on a bike, I found paraffin to be the best cleaner. Then wiped dry and then I used a good quality chain lube. 20,000 + out of a chain cannot be too bad.

Update Reply
SPESH @ 28/08/2014 05:00  

Mind you just to add, Wilko do there own cycle chain cleaner in a spray can. It cleaned my cycle chain up lovely the other day. Wiped it clean then lubed it up. Not sure how it would do on a bike o/x ring chain though. Cheap and cheer full but did a good job

Update Reply
SPESH @ 30/08/2014 09:01  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email