MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Looking for Biking Accident Stories

Looking for Biking Accident Stories - Forums [Biker Match] Looking for Biking Accident Stories - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Looking for Biking Accident Stories

Hi there - many of you will know that I offer First Aid for Bikers Courses across the UK. As part of some research I am doing , I am looking for stories where people have been in or whitnessed an accident (bike related only) and can let me know if anyone offered First Aid, who it was, did they know what they were doing, was it relevant to injuries...what was the outcome. Post it or msg me .....would really appreciate your help. Thankyou.

Update Reply
justjude @ 25/05/2014 06:11  

I have had a couple over last few years dong the kinda miles I do but always found someone with know how comes and helps. i also have some training from previous jobs so helps I suppose also.

sue be plenty of folk on here that can assist with stories.

Update Reply
madscots @ 25/05/2014 16:54  

Been on the recieving end of a new vw golf in a hit and run ,,,,,, car took me head on and we both ended up into a wall the kind old gent then tried to drive over me but the bike was trapping the front wheels a paramedic in a first response car was directly behind me , also a biker he did the full works neck ,,, head ,,,, vision ,,,, limbs ,,,,,, ambulance approx 5 mins later did the full check up ,,,,,, only downside was actually at hospital where it turns out I was only x rayed for pelvis ,,,,,, many months later I was found to have fractures both hands ,,, wrists ,,,,,, shoulder slightly out ,,,,, wrentched tendons down back of neck ,,,,,,, at the time in a and e I was still coming back down to earth so had no idea on the x rays

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/05/2014 13:19  

Only real bike accednt was in london 20 years ago, Duble Decker decided that he like the lane I was in and cut across, rear wheels went over me and the bike :( everyone on the pavement just looked, most likely expecting me to be dead :( Lucky for me my little 125 took most of the damage :( complet right off as not much left on it that was strait. After I pulled myself out and checked my self over, I had a bruesd ankel and swollen knee. But was lucky :) The rest I will not go into as I had words with the bus driver ;)

Update Reply
FireStorm-X @ 27/05/2014 19:44  

All I can say is a massive thanks to an unknown lady , who kept me still and talked to me kept me trying to breath and not give in and go to sleep till first the fire brigade then helicopter and finally ambulance who then had to resuscitate me and keep me going till A&E

Asked about who she was so I could personally thank her later but no-one knew but I will forever be in her debt

A&E and Intensive care were brilliant but can't say the same for the care on the wards but that's another story (September 1997)

Update Reply
ExupRichR1 @ 28/05/2014 13:35  

Both jaws broken , cheekbones shattered , nose ripped off , teeth knocked out , fractured ribs , shoulder and hand , in a coma for 3 weeks , months of physio and pain on the road to recovery ... and i was riding pillion !
My friend from school who was riding was killed instantly , broken neck .
I cannot bless the medical staff enough for what they did for me , every one of them an angel .

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 28/05/2014 17:06  

One of my mishaps left me laying under mi 'GS thou' with a broken collar bone. I drew quite a crowd. One woman tried to take mi skidlid off without undoing it , lol. Mi mate Billy Chan tried to pull the bike off me and put his boot through the headlamp pmsl. I asked for a ciggy and every one of the sods looked up and turned away .

They don't appreciate street performers oop north. Lol

The lass taking the Xrays was gorgeous, amazing how the pain subsided with one smile from her .

Lots of stories but i'll save the rest for the pub.

Update Reply
dustin666 @ 28/05/2014 19:37  

This happened in early 1992. While returning from central London at 11pm, an idiot in a car turned right into my path while I was going through a green light at Maida Vale resulting in me somersalting over the car's bonnet and having the wind knocked out of me. A cyclist took charge making sure I was compus mentus while awaiting the ambulance and while the idiot driver continuously apologised. The police turned up and ensured the bike (a write-off) was recovered and all details taken.

The ambulance crew walked me into the ambulance and took me to the Royal Free Hospital. On the journey, I started shaking although no one seemed concerned but on arrival, I couldn't bend my right leg and couldn't step down from the ambulance. I was carried out on one of those stretcher chairs and transferred to a wheel chair. I waited for a couple of hours in the waiting room with several others while a mental patient bothered us and some homeless people came in primarily to get a bed for the night.

When I was seen, I was X-rayed, my knee put into an elastic bandage and a pair of crutches issued. On standing up, I suffered a sharp pain in my left ankle and had to sit down complaining that it made me feel sick. The male nurse offered me a disposable bowl to throw up in but seemed unconcerned as to why I had that reaction. I was then discharged at 2:00 am! The hospital arranged a mini cab to take me home which set me back £20 but I couldn't get up from the chair while waiting for the cab being unable to put any weight on one foot or bend the other leg. The driver helped me up, into his car and into my home. and I ascended the stairs on my arse eventually pulling myself onto my bed.

A couple of days later, I was given a lift by friends to the Royal Free for a 'review' where after being repeatedly asked if I had difficulty in walking when I clearly stated my left leg couldn't bear any weight and X-rayed again, this time on the left ankle, it was stated as broken and my leg put in plaster. I subsequently transferred my case to Hemel Hempstead Hospital where the Royal Free lost the X-rays so Hemel had to do them again.

Not a dreadfully serious accident in the greater scheme of things but I concluded that my treatment at the Royal Free's A&E was total sh*te and I wouldn't send my worst enemy there given a choice. Maybe after twenty or so years, they've improved but I doubt it.

Update Reply
Cataraptor @ 30/05/2014 16:16  

Nope the royal free is still a dump...

Tbh kings college isnt much better. Been HEMS'ed there twice and both times they have sent me home with very seroius life threatening injurys. Cant discuss though as were still in litigation with car driver and hospital :-(

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/06/2014 10:01  

Driving home from my girlfriends house in the early hours of the morning I was overtaken by a 2 up CB400 on a quiet Suffolk road. About a mile later I found the bike embedded in the front of a Metro ( this was a while ago!). The pillion had been thrown straight over the top and had no visible injuries but was unconscious. The rider had ripped the roof away from the car and was laying in the road screaming with his ill fitting helmet ridden up and filling with blood where his cheek had been all but torn off. I had no choice but to remove the helmet, something we were always taught was a no-no but I am at least first aid trained and by this time an off duty nurse had turned up. We also managed to apply pressure to several serious injuries to stem blood loss.

Anybody with first aid training probably knows where this is going, the guy laying in the road screaming and bleeding everywhere survived, the seemingly uninjured pillion who had been thrown clear and had a relatively soft landing on the verge later died from head injuries.

I have always wondered if I could have done more for him - I cleared his airway and put him in the recovery position but really couldn't think of much more that I could do. One thing that was striking was that several people had stopped to "help" but seemed utterly incapable of doing so. Time and again I asked people to just talk to the unconscious lad but they would just wander over and ask him if he was alright before slowly rejoining the flock gawping at the bleeding guy we were working on.

I don't blame these people, the scene was shocking and they probably didn't understand why I felt it so important that they try and hold a one way conversation with a guy who apparently couldn't hear them.

One thing that has always puzzled me about my actions is that I always carry a blanket along with a decent first aid kit in the car and yet Despite it being a frosty night I never thought to use it - it makes me wonder if there was anything else obvious that I forgot to do.

As an aside, how many of us carry a first aid kit on the bike? Personally I carry a couple of "trauma bandages" under my seat for applying pressure to serious bleeding injuries, anything else I consider to be pretty superfluous. Yes it's nice to have a triangular bandage to make somebody comfortable if they have fractured their collarbone but that won't kill them. The emphasis of first aid training these days is very much on keeping a patient alive until professional medical help can get there.

P.S. The accident described above was almost inevitable at some point and has never worried me. The rider was obviously riding way beyond his and his bikes capabilities and both rider and pillion had completely inadequate protective clothing and helmets. Whether or not there was more that I could have done is something that I will always wonder but not worry about. I didn't cause the accident and I am sure that my efforts were better than nothing.

For your own peace of mind I urge you to do some basic first aid training - nobody is going to expect you to perform roadside surgery but there are simple basic procedures which can mean the difference between life and death for someone.

Update Reply
Electricbadger @ 09/06/2014 00:08  

I cut my finger on the bike once and got a plaster

Update Reply
BigRay @ 09/06/2014 22:00  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email