MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

BM Website Issues/Help Requests

New Feature - Advanced Photo Uploads

New Feature - Advanced Photo Uploads - Forums [Biker Match] New Feature - Advanced Photo Uploads - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / BM Website Issues/Help Requests /

New Feature - Advanced Photo Uploads

Hi all

I've been working on a completely renewed photo uploads system which is almost ready for launch. It's extremely complex though so I'm looking for some people who would be interested in testing it for me.

Please reply here in this forum topic if you're interested in trying it out.

Here's some points of notice...

Advantages:
1) HTML5 compatible - supported by all MODERN browsers
2) AJAX based - Most work is done client-side which creates a rapid-feel to the interface
3) File chunking - Files are split up into pieces and posted via a basic form submission.
4) Supports large files - currently set to 20MB (which is huge!) but can be set even higher server-side if necessary
5) Auto-rotate - I created a script on the server side that will take any uploaded photo and auto rotate it based on the headers in the image. No more sideways or upside-down photos!
6) Auto-resize - again server-side I made a script which will automatically shrink images down to an acceptable level to reduce server storage and processing times
7) Very clear - I made it to be big and simple. Should be very easy for anyone to use!
8) Drag & Drop - you can even drag & Drop files straight from your computer onto the big box. Useful for selecting dozens of files at once
9) No more time-consuming installation of java programs or ActiveX components! Multiple-file upload which all standard browsers support now.
10) Multiple uploads. You can select up to 100 images to upload immediately together. No more single-uploads for those running basic browsers.

Disadvantages:
1) Doesn't support old browsers! Though I have none available to me in my house to test with so not sure what happens there. Anything older than 5 years old shouldn't be on the internet anyhow in my opinion as old browsers are just plain unsafe.
2) It has to run on a separate engine on the server which created some complications for me. You might notice problems where you get logged out randomly or other quirky behaviour (let me know if you do)
3) Yet it's another change to get used to. But as most people realised with the Private Message system - an update IS good and is well overdue on BM.

Hopefully this new system is going to be good for everyone. Once it's working ok for profile photos I plan to also implement it for the events section photos.

Update Reply
Matt @ 16/04/2014 20:11  

mmmmm geek stuff ........... I will attempt an upload and see if this ungeek person can do it lol

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 17/04/2014 11:32  

thanks, try some different kinds of photos. big, small, gif, jpg, etc and also photos which should auto rotate (like photos you take vertically on your phone).

Try uploading many files at once also (if you create a test folder for this in your profile then you should be able to also delete them all at once by deleting the album entirely which saves time)

thanks!

Update Reply
Matt @ 17/04/2014 13:26  

Bump, still need some testers pleeeeease

Update Reply
Matt @ 18/04/2014 19:57  

works for me lot easer too and quicker too

Update Reply
kaycat @ 19/04/2014 00:09  

A bit random via mobile, worked last night but not this morning? But most of my pics on PC, not tried from there yet.

Update Reply
Richard T @ 19/04/2014 06:03  

Works great from PC, very fast!
One slight "feature" discovered - don't try to use a "&" symbol in the caption, it causes everything following to be deleted.
Use "and" where it's needed!

Update Reply
Richard T @ 19/04/2014 17:34  

does this work with stoneage computor and operater coz all youv said above might as well be ingobbledegeek i dont understand a word of it (sorry it comes with old age)

Update Reply
havfun @ 19/04/2014 22:36  

@ havfun - suggest you speak to your local friendly computer shop? The cost of updating may be quite low and will be well worthwhile in improved performance and capability. Good luck!

Update Reply
Richard T @ 20/04/2014 04:20  

agree with Richard... nobody should be running a stoneage computer with Windows ME or XP these days. For 150 quid you'll get a nice computer for at home which will be more secure, stable, faster and compatible with modern technology.

The new advanced uploader is now active for everyone (only for profiles for now). If your browser doesn't support the technology it SHOULD fall back to a more basic version of the software (but I'd be happy to hear from people if these works or not).

As always, feedback welcome guys

Update Reply
Matt @ 23/04/2014 09:13  

Thats ok if people are lucky enough to have 150 quid floating around spare, and they could be using or saving their money for work they want done on their bike. I haven't been pc shopping for while but I dont remember seeing a computer for that low a price.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 23/04/2014 10:29  

Argos.... 66, you get real low priced laptops there or any pc shop get a decent second hand one, thats where I got my three (and counting) and nowt wrong with them and they are very stoneage, but don't care as they do what I like them to do and thats all matters to me Haven't tried the pics thing yet, havent had time..... I don't put up many pics anyhow...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 23/04/2014 16:05  

No problem lulu, I normally build my own pc's and dont have a hankering for a laptop, I was just thinking out loud for those who may not be in a position to choose between a new computer or work on the bike or rallies.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 23/04/2014 19:27  

Looks like a couple of people are having issue (from what i can see on the server side) but I'm not receiving any reports from anyone.

If anyone finds they have trouble uploading profile photos, please let me know asap

Update Reply
Matt @ 24/04/2014 10:05  

Ok 66 hon good stuff, know what ya mean about trying to split dosh between things ...... x

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/04/2014 18:32  

I wasnt trying to be contrary lulu, it was justa situation I was in not long ago and cash was not in plentiful supply. Was jut highlighting possible problems some might encounter.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/04/2014 18:36  

Yep nae probs 66 hon I know that hon, never thought you were being contrary unfortunately I know too well results of lack of dosh as Im sure plenty others do so all advice welcome to me anyway xxx

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/04/2014 18:52  

Finding the new photo upload system better as before had to just stick picks in profile album( probably me being thick) but now find this system easy to set up new albums , ta very much

Update Reply
ExupRichR1 @ 14/05/2014 09:26  

New system has had some flaws. I think I've fixed most of them. Please let me know if you get further errors (like "User ID invalid" etc).

I have now also converted the EVENTS photo galleries to the same system. Hopefully we'll get lots of photos next weekend at the KISS rally to test it out with.

Update Reply
Matt @ 25/05/2014 19:16  

nice one matt

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/05/2014 08:02  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email