MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

BM Website Issues/Help Requests

New Feature - Improved Private Messages System

New Feature - Improved Private Messages System - Forums [Biker Match] New Feature - Improved Private Messages System - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / BM Website Issues/Help Requests /

New Feature - Improved Private Messages System

The previous thread on this topic has been locked so I can't add to it, had to start another.

I'm a newbie here so not sure if this has been raised before - I'm finding it difficult to keep track when conducting private conversations with several people simultaneously over several days. This is because inbox and outbox are listed separately and there's no linkage between messages in a conversation. It works well for the public forums, so why can't private conversations be 'threaded' like Text messages or What's App on a mobile phone? If conversations were easier to track it might generate more of them, and more member activity in general?

Just my 2p worth - -

Update Reply
Richard T @ 12/03/2014 12:28  

Hi Richard

This is something I'm personally looking into. Hopefully I'll be able to get it similar to Facebook / Whatsapp for you.

Biggest challenge is what to do with all the existing millions of messages.

Fingers crossed we have something new in the summer.

Cheers
Matt

Update Reply
Matt @ 18/03/2014 22:46  

New pm layout might arrive sooner than planned! Watch this space

Update Reply
Matt @ 21/03/2014 00:01  

Nice one Matt

Update Reply
Emzed @ 21/03/2014 01:13  

Thanks Matt, looking forward to it!
Will the new layout be better optimised for smartphones? Many folks these days rarely access the web via a traditional screen and keyboard, so again, a more user friendly smartphone experience would breed more site traffic, increase income, etc?

Update Reply
Richard T @ 21/03/2014 09:18  

yes indeed it will be.

I'd like to make a real mobile version of the site if I ever get chance... but I'm crazy busy so it's unlikely I'll get the chance anytime soon (unless I lose my job this summer which looks likely actually lol).

One thing I'm thinking about doing is making the PMs plain-text only, like Facebook. All the crazy HTML stuff and font colours, smileys, etc is what largely makes PMs unusable on mobile phones (it also brings a large number of security risks with it)

Just not sure how much our members will be disappointed if the private messages goes all plain-text ????

Update Reply
Matt @ 21/03/2014 19:45  

It's not the end of the world if you cant have pink crayons and smiley's

Update Reply
JP @ 22/03/2014 05:57  

Bin the PINK crayons... I will champion the removal of all things PINK!

smileys on the other hand ... well, I dunno if I can survive with out em ... it will be a long and difficult journey but I suppose it could be done. I guess I will have to go cold turkey in preparation but I may become more and more reliant on alcohol - now there's a thought **wanders off to look longingly in the cupboard at the JD**

Update Reply
Lindsay @ 25/03/2014 15:42  

Matt have you been messin with stuff all my pm's are in white and it don't matter what colour I select it's white ??

Update Reply
JP @ 26/03/2014 18:34  

JP, just be thankful he didn't give you the pink crayon!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/03/2014 21:09  

Damien i assume your colour is red lol

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 27/03/2014 09:13  

nah BJ, I only go red when I am in an aggitated and murderous state of emotion, but even then I dont have time to change the colour of my font.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/03/2014 10:03  

Damien who would belive that of you .............

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 27/03/2014 10:18  

New system ready for testing. Please tell me what you think...
http://www.bikermatch.co.uk/sites/bm/myaccount/pm/newin...winbox.asp

Smileys might be possible in the near future but I want to get it launched first asap and see how well it runs without smileys and other "luxury" items.

I still need to add the ability to delete a conversation and block people.

JP - didn't touch your messages mate

Update Reply
Matt @ 29/03/2014 09:40  

ooooh i dont like the way the private messages are set out now its horrid!!!! i want the old way back
I DONT LIKE IT BOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Update Reply
zzrbabe42 @ 29/03/2014 13:05  

Matt, JP is a typical trucker, paranoid!

Having said that, just because you are paranoid, it doesn't mean they aren't put to get you.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 29/03/2014 13:06  

Not too impressed Matt to be honest Can't see any of my previous mesages All I can see apart from a list of former correspondents Is the following message Microsoft VBScript runtime error 魸a000d' Type mismatch: 'clng' /sites/bm/myaccount/pm/NewInbox_OpenConversation.asp, line 29 I use Internet Explorer on XP, with SP3, exclusively for BM EDIT : I've just recieved a PM from Double Six which I can't see Could we have the option to select which version we prefer ?

Update Reply
Emzed @ 29/03/2014 13:06  

Like the change to pm's and that I can follow the conversations in a linear way, though unless I'm missing something somewhere can't see a button to remove conversation threads/people from list

Update Reply
Cally. @ 29/03/2014 13:12  

It seems to be working on my PC, I can open multi conversations at the same time. First impression, I like it, embellishments and tweeks to the system can only improve it.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 29/03/2014 13:17  

It appears to be working in Google Chrome

I changed from Chrome to IE because I was having with the Chat Room

Which seemed to be corrected by using IE

BTW 66, I have now read your PM's

Update Reply
Emzed @ 29/03/2014 13:22  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email