MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Pillion contribution

Pillion contribution - Forums [Biker Match] Pillion contribution - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Pillion contribution

I have a friend who previously rode with her partner so it never really came up as they lived together, but they separated and she's now been offered a ride with a friend.

She wants to know what, if any, 'etiquette' there is about paying toward the fuel etc.
I know that she WILL offer, but she's the kind that will insist, so how do you lot work it out?

• does it matter if the rider has to go out of his/her route to RV with or pick up/drop off the pilly?
• does it make a difference if the ride is offered and accepted, should the pilly still contribute or consider themself a guest?
• if the pilly put in a 'pilly request' for a specific event then surely there must be a greater expectation of a financial contribution?
• is just getting a mug of tea and a bun ever enough?

I know all instances will be different but I'm just trying to cover all the bases for her and I know she will want to be clear on things before setting out!
Thanks.

Update Reply
izzyhill @ 05/01/2014 13:07  

Depends on the rider I suppose, Personally I won't accept fuel money but will allow the pillion to by the tea/coffee, as for going out the way does that really matter as long as it's kinda en'route.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/01/2014 14:54  

Best way is ask 1st so you both know where you stand. All riders have a different way of doing things so get it clear before you set off. Even if the rider says they don't want any money always nice to get a cuppa and a bacon buttie handed to you. Also its a good idea to ask there way of riding its no good getting on the back of a bike then doing nothing but moaning there going to fast or to slow most riders will take it steady with an unknown pilly but not all.

Update Reply
JP @ 05/01/2014 15:27  

I would just say up front, I don't want any fuel money but 1st coffee and bacon buttie on you. THEN you both know where you stand.

Update Reply
VFR800AJ @ 05/01/2014 16:38  

Easy. Just make the offer. In all probability it will be refused and she will be sent to by the coffee and sticky buns.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 05/01/2014 16:44  

Offer to pay or contribute to fuel, then whatever the rider says goes.

However having a 'surprise' drink n a butty or a slice of cake shoved in their hand is often greatly appreciated, even if fuel has been paid or contributed to! Might even be the difference between getting the offer of a second ride out or not ((wink))

Update Reply
Lindsay @ 05/01/2014 17:20  

Horses for courses - as for contributing, I've always turned down offers of fuel money, but happy to accept a coffee etc

If it's the first time out the rider should really try and get some idea of what pillion experience they have, what kind of speeds they are comfortable with, and any agreed signals etc.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/01/2014 17:48  

I always make an offer of a meal or fuel if some kind soul took me pillion...some derbyshire bikers took me pilly this summer when my bike was off the road and I always bought them lunch or something similar its only polite and if they decline then that is up to them...mind you I do not expect anything from anyone I take pilly as Im going that way anyway!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/01/2014 18:32  

Am I right in thinking that there is something about 'money changing hands' that messes with insurance or something???!! I seem to remember a thread about this from a while ago.

Personally, I always ask how the rider would like to play it. So far, it's always been coffee and butty that wins the day. (Although, in my experience, the occasional home-made apple crumble helps too :>>)

Update Reply
Alice2 @ 05/01/2014 18:43  

Alice I think you are right on that one!! Hence I always offer a drink or something to eat...not exact payment as in money being exchanged...

Whilst we are on the subject...can everyone who takes pillions or are pillions ensure that you are insured...thanks!! I have always had pillion cover on my comprehensive policies to ensure Im covered ....you never know!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/01/2014 18:49  

alice....if you have home made custard too..... free rides forever !!!

Update Reply
VFR800AJ @ 05/01/2014 18:52  

Agree- have always offered petrol money but it has always been refused. Coffee and cake / butties though always received well and as Alice says ,homemade- well enough said!

Update Reply
Jackyan @ 05/01/2014 18:52  

LOL at VFR800AJ youre a right push over!!

You should have said treacle pudding and custard

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/01/2014 18:54  

Alice, there should be no insurance problem at all over a contribution to fuel costs.

For example, if I offer to run a friend and family to the airport for their holiday, and they reimburse me £10 for the petrol and a fiver for the car parking, then no problem as long as they're just out of pocket expenses. But if I say that I'll take them to the airport for a flat rate £40, which is still a sight less than the taxi fare, then there could in theory be problems.
It's unlikely I'd do that on a bike, but you get the idea!

Update Reply
Wills @ 05/01/2014 22:37  

If it's a day trip then i do the chauffeur/Gofor arrangement

I Chauffeur and pay fuel, the pillion gofor tea n rolls

If it's a long trip or something more then i split the fuel 50/50 such as Germany or France runs I do.

Update Reply
madscots @ 05/01/2014 22:54  

Offer to help with fuel costs, the rider will know if they want it or not.

A nice cuppa is always welcome tho ;-)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/01/2014 23:06  

Thanks, will pass that along.
I hope you always, only, have impeccably behaved passengers who buy you copiuos amounts of you favorite brew and biscuit.
Any less, and it's Shank's pony home or no second chance, yes?

Update Reply
izzyhill @ 06/01/2014 00:48  

I usually go for gentle hints. "White, no sugar" is a popular one.
As someone mentioned though, make sure the rider is insured to take pillions as some save on insurance by forgoing for this.
I am insured but rarely take pillions... I find the screaming disconcerting.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 06/01/2014 10:40  

If I offer a pillion to some one, I would not expect them to contribute to fuel.
In the case where the other person asked for the pilly ride, it is always nice if the fuel money is offered, how ever I never accept payment.

Regarding food and refreshments, I think it's nice if you take turns in buying. Unless of course you are treating the person to a day out.

Be careful of the insurance. When I last renewed on line with MCE, it wasn't until after I paid and printed out the schedule that I noticed that pillions were not covered. I had to phone them to change the policy to cover pillion passengers. It cost an extra £8-50

Update Reply
davidneale @ 06/01/2014 11:30  

As most folks have sent, ask first, it doesn't hurt and it lets folk know were they stand.

My experiences have always been good ones, sometimes fuel money is welcome other times tea and buttie.

When we organise the annual pilly day we suggest that it is discussed before the day so there is no awkwardness :)

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 06/01/2014 19:56  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email