MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Food for thought

Food for thought - Forums [Biker Match] Food for thought - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Food for thought

Just got this of another bike site i frequent, something to think about.

Seat causes heart attack? OK, this is not funny and not meant to be a joke.. but it's a story maybe worth sharing.

I had a heart attack 10 days ago. All is as OK as it can be so no worries.. But, I'm 58, multiple marathons under my belt, 6' 165 lbs, fit, eat right, no cigarettes, yada yada.

Finally met with cardiologist today. In going over everything he told me he guarantees there is no damage (excellent news, phew!), the ER guys fixed me up fast, etc., so that part is as good as it can be as I say. His consternation is "why?" Zero "plaque," lipids are great, resting heart rate is 50, on it goes.

He said I had a 100% blockage in an artery where there were no plaques. He therefore suspects it wasn't a plaque that had ruptured, but a blood clot, as that would have traveled until it couldn't travel anymore and therefore blocked the artery at that point.

here's the good part: he asks, "have you had a long trip lately where you've been sitting for hours at a time?" Aha.. I have been scouring this web site and talking with you guys about the high end custom seats, as the stocker has been killing my boney butt on these 12+ hour days. Just a few days before my heart attack I had returned from Las Vegas to central Oklahoma, and I felt that the stock seat, although Spencerized (and no offense to him) hit my butt bones such that it cut off the blood flow to my legs. For days later my butt still ached from those pressure points.

My doctor thinks it is quite possible, and maybe likely, that I developed a blood clot in my leg(s) from that, it cut loose and made it to the coronary artery, causing the MI.

As stressful as this has been, I had to smile, knowing that this was the ammo I need for convincing my wife to go for a new saddle - but all that aside - it's probably food for thought for all of us who fit that saddle "just wrong" and experience that feeling; to get off the bike more often, walk around more often, and/or make a change in seating.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/08/2013 10:04  

Why would anyone ride or drive for 12 hours or am I missing something here.

Update Reply
Inspector Gadget @ 11/08/2013 07:12  

Probably

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 11/08/2013 08:23  

you do not half to travel on a bike for 12h to get mi but if you are going on a weeks holiday and doing a lot of miles each day you run at rest of it as a rule I always stop every 1:00 or every hundred miles for at least 10 minutes and walkabout even for young people last week young girl 18 died of it coming back from holiday on a plane the chances are slim but why take a chance

Update Reply
BigRay @ 11/08/2013 22:06  

I find whether on the bike, car or my van, go for 2 hours max. then take a short break.

Update Reply
davidneale @ 11/08/2013 22:25  

Kinelle...............i sit for hours at a time doing my job (Computer ops)....... that has given me a wake up call, deffo make the effort to get up more and just walk down the corridor and back. thanks for that, glad the person was ok anyway

Update Reply
VFR800AJ @ 11/08/2013 22:48  

I have spent 18 hours in the saddle, left Germany at 8 in the morning and got back just after midnight. stops for petrol and the ferry. so it happens, been there done that. now a couple of hours will be it and I need to stop fill up and have a walk around. don't think I will do another long run to Germany like that again. an over night stop makes life a more interesting

Update Reply
myotherworld @ 11/08/2013 23:05  

for me 100mls is my limit but mostly i dont do more than 75 without a stop for coffee and toilet break never have cos am a woos pmsl

Update Reply
zzrbabe42 @ 12/08/2013 19:30  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email