MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Electrics

Electrics - Forums [Biker Match] Electrics - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Electrics

Is there an auto electrician in the house? My bike's tail light refuses to work, despite checking the bulb, fuse , connectors, and wiring! All other lights work ok.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/07/2013 16:20  

Does the brake lights work. If they do work then you need to check the resistance in the tail lights wiring.

Update Reply
thediver37 @ 07/07/2013 19:49  

Hi XK,
are you getting 12 volts to the bulb? Check using a multimeter to a good earth point or the negative battery terminal. If you do get voltage to the bulb then check the earth connection to the bulb holder.

Update Reply
timhall @ 07/07/2013 22:44  

the tail light usually runs off the parking light circuit. check this light works. if you have a multimeter check the bulb for continuity on both filaments if dual filament. if not connect it up to the battery with two bits of wire and check both filaments, one wire to the two blobs of solder on the bottom of the bulb and the other to the metal shell of the bulb, both filaments should light or new bulb.
replace the bulb and disconnect the tail light from the wiring harness. with a wire connect the black wire to the negative terminal of the battery, the other two (one at a time ) to the positive. both filaments should light or you need a new bulb holder.
reconnect the black, and connect one at a time the two other wires as above. if no filaments come on the earth is broken, then run a wire from the black to the negative terminal of the battery, check light (not forgetting to reconnect the other two wires ). or whichever wire of the other two produces NO light is the broken one. it is often easier to replace the whole wire as opposed to trying to find the break, so trace the wire, by colour to the headlight shell and run a wire from here to the rear light and hopefully you will have a working light.

you can easily go round and round in circles with electrickery so be methodical and do it step by step and you will get there. happy hunting.

Update Reply
xj @ 07/07/2013 22:48  

Anther thing to check. The front side light is working, as you sat. This and the tail light should be connected together. check this again use a multimeter. If no connection then look for a broken wire or connector that has come adrift.

Update Reply
timhall @ 07/07/2013 22:52  

Sorted I used to have a pair of mini-spots. I had taped up the wiring, but a bit came away allowing contact to be made with the frame, causing a short. Thanks to all for your advice.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 12/07/2013 17:14  

Glad you got it sorted XK.

Update Reply
timhall @ 12/07/2013 22:22  

Are there any auto sparkies local to me my bikes has stopped charging also prob with a jeep i have if any one can help before i go down the garage route i would be grateful eddie tel 07931950999.

Update Reply
turbo58 @ 24/08/2013 19:59  

Are there any auto sparkies local to me my bikes has stopped charging also prob with a jeep i have if any one can help before i go down the garage route i would be grateful eddie tel 07931950999.

Update Reply
turbo58 @ 24/08/2013 20:03  

Just google search it in your area pal !!

Update Reply
Intruder18 @ 25/08/2013 08:28  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email