MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle Events & Rides Out

WW1 and WW2 sites in europe...

WW1 and WW2 sites in europe... - Forums [Biker Match] WW1 and WW2 sites in europe... - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle Events & Rides Out /

WW1 and WW2 sites in europe...

hi all,

is there anyone interested in visiting some WW1 and WW2 sites in europe? La Coupole, Mimeyeques, Tyne Cot, Colditz, Auschwitz.....to name but a few.

Am considering this during the summer of 2014.

your thoughts and ideas please.

kind regards,
ace of bass

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/07/2013 02:08  

La coupole is a good one, Auschwitz you have to book a tour in advance. Mimeyeques, Tyne Cot, are good as well. Never been to Colditz.
Stalagluft 3 (great escape) is worth a visit. If you want to see a lot in a short period just follow the western front (WW1) or go to Normandy (WW2) Done a lot of both, if I can help give me a shout

Update Reply
joebar @ 05/07/2013 07:16  

Something I've thought about, but I'd think long and hard about whether to take in Auschwitz. La Coupole, Mimoyecques, Tyne Cot etc are all roughly together and could be done in a long weekend - or maybe a relaxed week. Auschwitz is about 900 miles away - a bit like pottering round Devon and Cornwall and then a dash to John O'Groats and back.
I'm not saying it can't be done, but don't bite off too much.

Update Reply
Wills @ 05/07/2013 09:54  

Mix it in with some decent biking roads then jobs a good un though

Update Reply
madscots @ 05/07/2013 12:19  

I have had a few mates doing Colditz, they use to stay in the campsite there but now they say it has turned into a Hotel as well.

Its not far off the MZ factory.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2127239/Escape-...hotel.html

Update Reply
bingwing @ 05/07/2013 12:25  

I have done Normandy a few times and it good `Good Camp sites` and easy to get there, I like to go to Dover `cheap crossing` and a nice ride round to Normandy coast. `230 mile Arromanches-Les-Bains` or Portsmouth to Caen. I find my costing is 6 & 2/3 both ways.

Update Reply
bingwing @ 05/07/2013 12:47  

Just back from a European trip including a stay in Colditz Castle, part of it is a youth hostel so anyone can stay there B&B, well worth it. Depending how far you want to go I could suggest some places to visit or stay.

Update Reply
RickM @ 06/07/2013 22:59  

thanks all for your input,

i have already done tyne cot, la coupole, mimoyeques, menin gate, sanctuary hill. all of which can be done again in one day.

it was nice to pay my respects to those that have gone before me and i don't mind doing it all again.

i take on-board the auswitz comment. it is a bit far east for one trip.

colditz, is in that direction. i am currently just looking for those that are interested in such a trip before i plan anything.

i am sure there must be more sites to visit that i haven't done. Normandy springs to mind. bastoigne also.

if i could get a clearer idea of what ppl want, then i will gladly plan something for next year.

oradour sur glande is on my bucket list also.

there are so many, but, if folks could let me know what they haven't done and are willing to do, then i could start some sort of plan for next year.

i will be attending the kiss rally, which is for BM'ers only. i ride a midnight star, and have a Scottish accent. if you would like to through more ideas my way, or, have a chat at the rally, look me up please. i will endeavour to cover, most, if not all of your ideas.

i have also considered german sites, though i have a sort of mental block for these. cant explain why. i don't know why.

regards,
ace of bass
aka grant

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/07/2013 23:59  

Don't think you have to book Auschwitz tours in advance. Least ways didnt when I went last year. It's a bloomin long way though & you pass through a heck of a lot of trees. Mind you gives a sense of the scale of the last journey for the poor souls who ended up there

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 07/07/2013 03:14  

we off to Normandy in two weeks for a long weekend, anyone wanna come along?

Update Reply
rossoandy21 @ 09/07/2013 20:31  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email