MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Campsites Isle of Skye

Campsites Isle of Skye - Forums [Biker Match] Campsites Isle of Skye - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Campsites Isle of Skye

Hi,
Planning on riding up to Isle of Skye for some camping and walking. Trawling a few books and url's for campsites/accomodation, but any one got any personal recommendations. Thanks for any info. Cheers

Update Reply
slfp915 @ 11/05/2013 11:53  

When i was up there I passed one campsite that was very busy which might be a good sign ..if you look on a map where the A863 meets the A87 across the road from the Sligachan Hotel ... I did not stay there myself ... hope this is a start for you ...

Update Reply
Intruder18 @ 11/05/2013 14:25  

There's a very basic campsite on the edge of Loch Brittle that is also at the base of some nice mountains.

http://goo.gl/maps/Z5gsw

Stayed here a few years ago in my campervan, it is very exposed if you get winds up the loch, but so is the rest of Skye.

I've also stayed at a campsite here

http://goo.gl/maps/kfBdj

Again very exposed, but there's a pub across the road to retreat to in the evening.

Update Reply
akceller8 @ 12/05/2013 11:41  

Thanks for all the info Intruder18 and akceller8, will take a look

Update Reply
slfp915 @ 12/05/2013 15:32  

Take some midge repellant also pal(heavy duty stuff) ...depending on what time of year your going. The Isle of Skye itself is not bad but they are rife in some places

Update Reply
Intruder18 @ 12/05/2013 17:29  

It's on the shopping list

Update Reply
slfp915 @ 12/05/2013 19:23  

hi SLFP,

done a fair bit of climbing and walking in skye over the years,
and the 2x campsites mentioned are the best to access the cullins proper,
glen brittle is a little more remote (on skye this is a subjective word!!)
with a "shop" a few miles away, near the yha hut. but is easier access to the "in pin", and the "chiock" (sp)
and scu Alistair end of the range,
with the sligachan site benefiting from the PUB, and live music usually thurs fri and sat.
plus a camping barn/hut if the weather drives you crazy, better for access to 2scu nan Gillian" and "bla bleven" end .

Update Reply
oldyeti @ 12/05/2013 22:05  

Thanks oldyeti. Definitely sounds like those 2 campsites are the ones to head for. As does the PUB and live music: didn't expect to tick so many boxes in just one trip!!
Cheers

Update Reply
slfp915 @ 13/05/2013 09:15  

would recommend the hostel at Saucy Marys Kyleakin...granted its only just on Skye but better than getting drenched and blown away! lol also the best midge repellent is "Avon skin so soft" buy it off ebay before you go as its pricey to buy once youre up there.

oh yes and saucy marys sometimes has bands on

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 13/05/2013 18:13  

Hi kwakgirl. Thanks for the info on the hostel and the heads up on midgey repellent....!!! Really?? "Avon skin so soft"?? So the Skye midges are partial to the usual Deets then? Okee dokee.
Thanks again

Update Reply
slfp915 @ 13/05/2013 18:26  

The Sligachan's great...I've spent many a good night in there.There's also a campsite near to The Old Man of Storr on the East?side of Skye.If the weather's truly inclement there's also a Hostel in Portree.

Update Reply
Triple955 @ 13/05/2013 20:21  

Cheers Triple955. Great to have a few different options.

Update Reply
slfp915 @ 13/05/2013 21:51  

A few years back we stayed at one just outside Portree on the A855. About a 1/2 mile walk back to the town centre though for pubs and stuff.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 14/05/2013 19:08  

Thanks Steve_H. Will add that to my list

Update Reply
slfp915 @ 17/05/2013 14:01  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email