MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

rider safety - make sure your voice is heard

rider safety - make sure your voice is heard - Forums [Biker Match] rider safety - make sure your voice is heard - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

rider safety - make sure your voice is heard

Article in may 13 ride mag Take part in giant Europe-wide survey backed by Ride We're supporting a big new survey aimed at improving road safety for bikers. Called RIDERSCAN the survey is designed to create a greater understanding of the challenges to safety and hopefully show some possible solutions. In short, it could be a lifesaver. The organisation behind the survey is FEMA, the federation of european motorcyclists associations, which represents 24 national rider organisations in 19 eu countries. Aline Delhaye the project co-ordinator, explains: "in all europe road safety has become critical political issue, with many measures taken to reduce the number of road casualties and deaths. Lately, statistics have been pointing towards motorcycling, and powered two-wheeler users have become a critical road user group. However, meaningful and successful initiatives have been rare, and sparse, and most of the time unpublicised." The survey involves answering 40 questions, divided into 5 parts: general info about you , your mobility habits, your riding habits, your safety views and attitudes. It takes about 15 mins to complete. Once all the data has been collated and analysed, the results will be spread round the authorities and groups invovled in road use and motorcycle safety. Your input is vital - it wil help make sure British riding is represented. To take part in the survey visit Www.fema-online.eu/riderscan-survey. See next month's ride for more on riderscan and fema.

Update Reply
rowanblossom @ 17/03/2013 23:36  

Thanks for the info Rowan (had to giggle at the security question, Maths?? lol) www.fema-online.eu/riderscan-survey

Update Reply
Sandi @ 18/03/2013 06:14  

ta for the Links Sandi RB

Update Reply
rowanblossom @ 18/03/2013 07:14  

Y W Rowan

Update Reply
Sandi @ 18/03/2013 07:40  

just doing it now... i may be gone some time hahahaha first question occupation... choices are employee... or factory worker... are factory workers not employees then just hope its a "sensible" survey as in will help us in the EU

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 18/03/2013 20:38  

Yes I have completed the form. 1st problem the entry security code. It said 4+60=. So thats what I typed, dingbat. Ah so I have to do some maths so 64 was the answer Next problem. I had to scroll so far down for my date of birth, I was knackered when I got there.

Update Reply
davidneale @ 18/03/2013 22:02  

ROFLMHO @ David typing the security question Aww bless x

Update Reply
Sandi @ 18/03/2013 22:05  

lmfao david hahahahaha tis a good one thanks for puttin this on Rowan Blossom just hope everyone on here sees it and takes part and also ~ have a good think about joining MAG, they are like FEMA bt for uk. They do huge amounts of work for our rights as bikers and get all sorts of stuff changed ~ so if you benefit from these changes please feel teh urge to actually join MAG and help fund their amazing work coz where woudl you be without it eh??!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 19/03/2013 10:12  

I've completed the questionnaire. Hope the info is not used to put further restrictions on motorcyclists like the French tried to enforce. But that's just me being cynical.

Update Reply
gixergal @ 24/03/2013 19:11  

Well I completed mine this morning, and I have to say that it looks like it was written by someone who DOES understand the issues experienced by Bikers... makes a change!!

Update Reply
Harley_Rider @ 25/03/2013 07:51  

i think its a FEMA survey and they fight for bikers rights in europe as far as im aware

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/03/2013 17:31  

Survey filled in. Just found this MAG article....: Everyone has noticed lately, that the state of the roads has been getting worse – with new potholes appearing every day. Sadly, due to Government budgets being cut, the councils' budgets are already stretched. However, there are two sure-fire ways of dealing with the problem (for which budgets are unaffected):Firstly, if you see a pothole or other road hazard that will cause a problem if a bike hits it at speed (such as loose gravel), call the Police non-emergency line on 101 and report the problem; stating that it is dangerous for motorcycles. The police have a duty to contact the council and get them to fill the road or get rid of the hazard immediately; because once it has been reported, if it's not fixed and there's an accident, the injured party can sue. ... Secondly, if you're involved with a local MAG branch, see if anyone has any contacts in the local county council (even if they're a social worker, they're still a handy person to know). They would have access to the head of highways and would be able to firstly ask questions on your behalf. If the question isn't answered satisfactorily, you can instigate a letter-writing/press campaign. This is what happened in the South East Region. East Sussex County Council came under fire recently in the press for the state of the roads around Eastbourne and Alfriston. Through a contact at the council, John Mitchell, South East Region Rep got in contact with the head of highways, Roger Williams, who said that previous repairs in Alfriston had been carried out satisfactorily. However, when faced with photographic evidence (put in a PowerPoint presentation) to the contrary he realised that there was a major problem. He agreed that the road from Alfriston to Seaford needed fixing due to the numerous potholes along the road (the one in the photograph is on a steep hill and on a right-hand bend with an adverse camber) and put the funding in place to fix the road as part of the Alfriston drainage works, which are going on as we speak. Local activism, no matter how small it might seem, still works. If everyone makes a big noise about the problem, then it won't be a problem for much longer.

Update Reply
TheSlasher @ 26/03/2013 19:13  

Well done Lynn MAG do a lot of good work "behind the scenes" Which is why I urge everyone to join If WE don't fight for our cause (vicariously) then nobody else will Support MAG & FEMA anyway you can You don't have to be an "active" member Just pay your subs or make a donation All the money they receive is well spent and carefully budgeted No "fat cats" living it up on expenses Just hard working dedicated bikers fighting to preserve our right to ride free

Update Reply
Emzed @ 26/03/2013 23:24  

Couldn't agree more Emzed

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 29/03/2013 16:38  

Filled this one in

Update Reply
Intruder18 @ 30/03/2013 12:20  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email