MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Advice on Gear

Advice on Gear - Forums [Biker Match] Advice on Gear - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Advice on Gear

Having made the decision to go for my CBT with the mindset that I'm going to love it and pass I have been entertaining myself browsing for gear.

My mind has subsequently been blown with the choice and price variations.

Anybody got any advice on how and what to get kitted out with for the first time?

Are bike shops happy for you to spend hours trying out different stuff for comfort?

Ta

Update Reply
Cookie1708 @ 08/02/2013 07:37  

Hi Cookie. The only way to know what you find comfortable, is to try stuff out. Personally I like prefer leather gear, sometimes I even wear it on my bike ha ha ha. I do have a textile jacket with armour and it is very good but nearly always reach for my leather. Do you have a bike clothing shop near you? I find them less pushy and usually have a better choice than a bike shop with clothing section and they aren't usually bothered if you want to try stuff on.

Update Reply
petewick @ 08/02/2013 08:05  

I think, if the shops mind you trying a lot of gear on, then they don't do their job properly. Whatever type of gear you go for, it has to feel right. I always make sure, it is at east one size bigger, so you can get some warm layers underneath when it's cold. Same with the boots, one size bigger for thick socks. Leather will mold itself to the shape of your body after a while and the older the leather, the more comfortable it will be. I have both, leather and textile, the textile I usually wear when it's really cold or wet. Lid's are important too, they protect your head, so money shouldn't be an issue there, it has to fit properly. I can only wear shoei lid's, any others don't fit me. Hope that helps a bit....

Update Reply
TheSlasher @ 08/02/2013 08:55  

For me..........leather trousers, good boots, textile top with CE armour and a full face helmet. ear plugs if you dont want to go deaf. Never ever ever ride without protective gear. If you take a circular sander to a part of your body, but be a similar effect if you ever came off without protection. But try telling some of the kids that !!! I read Lynn's comments about lids...... mine is a shark and fits perfectly without breaking the bank, but before that i always had Nitro.

Update Reply
VFR800AJ @ 08/02/2013 08:59  

I TOTALLY agree with the sentiment of "Never ride without your full gear on"... I was knocked off my Harley last October. Full face helmet, heavy leather HD Jacket, Winter Leather Gloves, Armoured Trousers and HD Boots... it was all cut off me in Hospital as I was unconscious... but there wasn't a scratch on me... just four fractured ribs!! I'd invested between £900 - £1,000 in my riding gear and as the Dr. said, it was a good investment!! Take your time to get the right gear for you... and make sure that you are comfortable in it.... Steve

Update Reply
Harley_Rider @ 08/02/2013 09:32  

In the summertime, Tshirt, shorts and flipflops. However , for a woman I would recommend a tight fitting Tshirt coz once you get above 60mph the wind tends to do a ''MarilynMonroe'' and a loose one will end up round your neck .(perfectly ok , if you're feeling a bit ''naughty'') One important thing to remember . Biking is fun , never ever ride without fun, coz it keeps you young. Dusty x P.S. Never ever fall off when so attired, coz it may not end well .lolx

Update Reply
dustin666 @ 08/02/2013 11:09  

P...M....S....L..... Dustin

Update Reply
petewick @ 08/02/2013 11:27  

You'll end up a bit bruised when those rock hard metal bumble bees hit you at 70mph. I opened up my visor in the summer and a bee hit me right n the middle of me forehead and it ***k*** hurt !!!

Update Reply
VFR800AJ @ 08/02/2013 12:11  

Had the same a few years back... was sooo hot, started off from traffic lights and a bee hit me on cheek bone and obviously stung me at the same time... couldn't wear my specs for a week and my face had the same colours as my hair does now.....

Update Reply
TheSlasher @ 08/02/2013 12:19  

Awww peeps - but think how the bees felt - they'll have a hell of a headache!!!!

anyhoo - here's my two penn'orth worth........

I wear a leather jacket...it's the original one I bought when I first started riding - some decades ago - and I wouldn't wear anything else! I look after it by buffing it with leather cream now and again. and have re-lined it twice, thus it looks after me....it's gone through two 'offs' with me, and I reckon it saved my arms from major trauma.
Like Lynn said -I also bought mine a size bigger to accommodate extra layers and, because I'm tall, I had to ensure the back was long enough (most women average 5' 4", so manufacturers work to that specification).

Always, always wear gloves - no matter how warm it is. I have lightweight summer ones with vents to allow air to circulate, and winter gauntlets which allow a pair of liners underneath for extra toasty. They're also quite long so come up over the sleeves of my jacket, stopping any draughts there.

I could go on, but would only be repeating what others have said. Though you need to be comfortable as well as protected, so with regards to trying on, stretch and swing your arms around - is there freedom of movement? If you can sit or squat on your heels when trying any trousers on then do so......if only to make sure they're long enough, cos there's nothing like that killer blast of cold air going up your leg if they don't connect with the boots properly.

So basically, comfort and safety are the rule.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/02/2013 12:50  

I agree with Dusty on his choice of summer bike wear, however, I think he is going over the top with the t-shirt, much better to be comfortable than wrapped up like a mummy, so my advice is a very very skimpy bikini> Full face helmet is a must, you only have one head, and for footwear, thigh high boots with at least a 5 inch stiletto heel, in black of course! Hope to see you at some rallies with your ridning gear on.

Sorry, I was letting my imagination run away with me there.........of course leather or textile motorcycle clothing that complies British safety standards, a good sturdy pair of boots, gloves and naturally a helmet. Dont be tempted to buy a second hand helmet, you never know how many times it has been dropped or bounced off a door frame.

Happy biking!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/02/2013 12:56  

66.....St.Trinians riding on..... lol
I went to Bridlington last year and sat in a chippy minding my own business... when this big bema showed up, parked on the pavement, this old geezer got off with a young starlet on the back... him wearing all the right gear. Her...? Well, skin tight leggings, 5 inch over knee boots and a biker jacket. Took her 20 mins to sort her hair after taking lid off and also to refold her ass back into the leggings, before they strutted off.... Where are the traffic wardens when you want them... hahahahahaha

Update Reply
TheSlasher @ 08/02/2013 13:09  

Go with an open mind too.. just like helmets.. different makes of jackets and trousers will have a vastly different feel and fit even if they state the same size.. potentially soul destroying if you know you are a 10 and they won't even go past your knees..

There's a whole street of Bike Shops and Bike Wear in Newcastle.. and reasonable too.. the one right at the top of the street in particular.. but think that's because most people are too knackered to walk right up to the top of the hill so he has to "tempt"

Sooooooooooo.. if you ever want a "day trip" to Northern shores.. I'm sure Petewick will pick you up.. and we can get him to carry the bags too... ~ Could make it an organised event :D

Update Reply
rockchickeelicious @ 08/02/2013 14:22  

Oh. Petewick will pick you up, will he Rockchickee?? The official bikermatch taxi service ha ha ha. Mmmmm bag carrier to the stars that's me. But another night ooop north is quite tempting.....does it mean I would have to drink copiously and collapse in a sodden heap??? Verrrry tempting lol

Update Reply
petewick @ 08/02/2013 15:13  

Well I do need an "assistant" in the role of BM taxi service for sure.. if I was as thin as I spread myself sometimes.. manohman I'd be seriously hawwwt lol

I'd love to see you collapsed all sodden.. comatose XK style would be so much better though.. I get such a kick out of "dressing" folk up for nocturnal photo's

Tis seriously tempting though eh.. there could be a bit of a cunning plan forming here...

Update Reply
rockchickeelicious @ 08/02/2013 17:03  

See what you have done now, Chickee. Stolen the poor woman's post about a serious subject and turned it into a bacchinalian orgy. Now we know why everything is 'lush ' with you. (I think I spelt bacchinalian wrong)

Update Reply
petewick @ 08/02/2013 18:35  

Indeed.. the correct spelling is.. "BacchAnalian" ~ Positively lush choice of words though... Impressed I am..

And yes lovely.. I have sabotaged her thread.. awful I feel.. *checks for yoda ears developing?!* so to recap for more "normal folk"

Having made the decision to go for my CBT with the mindset that I'm going to love it and pass I have been entertaining myself browsing for gear.

My mind has subsequently been blown with the choice and price variations.

Anybody got any advice on how and what to get kitted out with for the first time?

Are bike shops happy for you to spend hours trying out different stuff for comfort?

Ta

Update Reply
rockchickeelicious @ 08/02/2013 18:47  

I agree with most of what as been posted, it's all about being comfortable it what you're wearing, I've had days when I was a despatch rider riding around Central London when I've taking my jacket off and rode around in a t-shirt that is ringing wet from sweat, it was safer than riding around and feeling so hot that you can't concentrate. A fullface is NEVER a must. again it's about being comfortable, all helmets have their adventages and disadvantages and any good sale person should point them out and it's not all about how much you spend on a helmet, it's about how it fits you, a helmet that fits you well may not be so good for me but a cheaper one may be better, it's all down to the shape of your head.

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 08/02/2013 19:05  

try and get to somewhere like J&S, as they normally carry a range of sizes, styles and price ranges.. there must be one over your side of the country, have a google.. for starting out i'd suggest textiles as they are a bit more versitile ie dont have to carry waterproofs..

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/02/2013 19:10  

when i did me lessons i had a leather jacket and jeans coz couldnt afford much else... well had lid and gloves too.... if you cant afford leather pants / trousers then jeans is next best thing and sturdy boots... till you can buy something better... its all down to personal preference chick and you will get other stuff as you go along .... depends what you prefer ?? any riding gear is better than none - ya must get new lid though and rest you can get orf mates or buy what you like look of best ... only thing tho is that you may find textiles too hot in summer.... and leathers you can always put other stuff underneath or take it off - then again leathers get darn hot tooooo its a personal thing and as long as you love it and its what you want and does what you want it to do then go for what you like and bike shops dont mind you trying on as much as you like... they expect it...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/02/2013 20:33  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email