MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Servicing ~ Advice Needed

Servicing ~ Advice Needed - Forums [Biker Match] Servicing ~ Advice Needed - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Servicing ~ Advice Needed

Sadly have to hop of out to work but thought I'd leave you with this wee nugget of lushness to contemplate...

Poppy needs a Service.. the local garage bless them.. charge for their labour.. so it would be £95 for a full service... My tonsils trebbled in size when he told me the price and my heart sank to my boots...

So.. have handbook.. google and you gorgeous lush lot who don't have labour costs as such... ~ I am going to Service Poppy.. under the watchful eye of David.. and helping hand if somethings too tight.. but but but I want to go into this armed with my knowledge and what should be looked at..

Any advice and tips would be smilingly received..

I do know I have to look at

Oil.. change it.. new filter
Shocks
Chain.. tighten it.. clean it..

What else should I really really be doing.. if you were giving your bike a full service.. what is it you would be looking at..

Update Reply
rockchickeelicious @ 30/01/2013 08:48  

And if you had to tell a complete non starter the easiest way to do something because you've learned through experience and you would put it a lot more simply than Google or a Handbook.. then pop your thoughts down..

Thank You xx

Update Reply
rockchickeelicious @ 30/01/2013 08:50  

Check your PM's Anne

Update Reply
Emzed @ 30/01/2013 12:36  

Would't mind some advise on that myself . The warranty on mine has long since expired and when I got the 26000 mile service they had to check valve clearances - cost the best part of 700 quid ( more than half of which was labour - probably only took them a fraction of the time they charged me for) The bikes done 45000 now so I'd like to start doing more of the servicing myself but with the exception of oil/filter, chain/sprocket changes I'm not sure or confident what I'm doing. Obviously the serious stuff would need to be done by a professional but there must be a number of things I can take care of myself to save some money. Any tips would be appreciated

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/01/2013 13:53  

First "tip" Zed is get yourself a manual Either an original factory workshop manual (expensive) Or a Haynes, more than good enough for "home" maintenance & servicing Any specific problems PM me & I'll do my best to help/advise

Update Reply
Emzed @ 30/01/2013 15:05  

Emz you are a diamond my lovely.. I've read it twice now.. will make sure to have laptop charged and on the front step near the bike.. because it's seriously detailed and well written... Will be honest and say I don't understand half of it.. but tis kinda like paint by numbers.. easy to follow! Bless You!!

ZedRider.. I will copy Emzeds advicey bits of the message to you.. for sure it will save you a lot of money too!

Emz.. we really really need to try and organise that Show and Tell day this year.. save a lot of hassle and money.. xx

Update Reply
rockchickeelicious @ 30/01/2013 15:06  

Print it off honey

Update Reply
Emzed @ 30/01/2013 15:09  

Emzs sweetheart.. I KNOW I'm blonde.. and sometimes on odd occasions like CBT questions I give blonde's a bad bad name.. but seriously??!!

Lmao.. I know to print it off you daft lush lad.. I don't have ink in the printer.. and to replace it would be half the cost of a service.. Laughing my ass off xx

Update Reply
rockchickeelicious @ 30/01/2013 15:16  

Thanks Emzed , will do

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/01/2013 15:19  

You're most welcome Zed Once you have your manual Make it your "bedtime reading" for a couple of weeks It will sink in overnight and you'll familiarise yourself with the bike too You don't have to memorise it But you will be surprised at what you DO remember When you next go to your bike A little homework/preparation will stand you in good stead For when you decide to tackle some unfamiliar tasks There used to be a publication for the famous Vincent, called : "Know Thy Beast Sound advise for any enthusiast and any marque

Update Reply
Emzed @ 30/01/2013 17:12  

Why not have a bike fettling party Rockie?
We can all come along and make helpless and inane comments.
It's unlikely it will do the bike any good at all but if you studiously ignore anything I say there is a fair chance it won't get any worse.
No need to thank me I like to be helpful

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 30/01/2013 19:24  

following emzeds advice...
Don't use brute force and ignorance, if in doubt ask.
If you are unsure ask.
If you are still unsure ask again.
Please refrain from hitting stuff with a hammer, ask first.
Use plenty of release oil, ac90 or duck oil are good, on stubborn bolts .
Don't use excessive force to undo bolts, similarly tightening them.
Workshop manual excellent advice emzed, as he said factory manuals are expensive but if you can afford it get one they blow haynes away. Or do an internet search to see if you can download one. I have hundreds on dvds, mainly older bikes though, let me know make, year model i may be able to email you one
don't be afraid to ask silly questions
count all the bits out and count them back in again.
Photograph stuff before and at different stages as you take it apart so you know what it should look like as it boes back together.
Photograph electrical wiring routes and connections before disconnecting.
Oh, did i mention about asking questions.
Don't be afraid to walk away for a break if you are struggling. It is often easier when you return. (trade secret that one)

I am a mechanical engineer, My job is repairing machinery. I have access to a fully equiped machine shop in london. You are welcome to contact me if stuck or you strip a thread, break a bolt etc. did i say about asking questions?

Update Reply
xj @ 30/01/2013 19:29  

Much appreciated xj ,emzed and RC.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/01/2013 19:59  

zed you'll almost certainly find a "factory workshop manual" (far better than haynes as its made for numpty main dealer mechanics lol) online in a pdf format somewhere on the WWW. google it before you shell out.

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 31/01/2013 20:55  

Thanks kwakgirl . Got one emailed to me today from xj . Proper factory one in pdf format. Far better than haynes and by the looks of it a lot clearer and easier to follow -

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 31/01/2013 22:19  

Problem is..... STEP 1: Buy some decent tools, decent set of spanners and sockets will cost way more than £95, and no I'm not even talking Snap On etc, Halfords Proffessional good enough. Cheap tools tend to cause more harm than they are worth. Another "Must have" is a suitable torque wrench, these aren't cheap either. But then neither is shearing off studs or bolts because you've overtightened them.
Before going anywhere near a service job, especially on the engine side, read up and understand how your bike works, understand how each component interacts with other components and then you will be able to assess what is likely to be a problem before you start ripping it to bits.
I run my own bike shop, and most of the money we earn is putting stuff right that people have attempted themselves without understanding why or where, and what started out as a money saving excercise, ends up costing double/treble what the service originally would have cost.
On that note I'm not saying don't do stuff at home, but stick to the basics like oil and filter changes, spark plugs and the like and unless you feel competent/confident or have someone to oversee what you are doing and they are competent, leave it to the shops. At least if a shop gets it wrong they are liable for it.

Update Reply
suzook12 @ 06/02/2013 17:56  

If I could get either of mine serviced for only £95 I'd never work on mine again!

Update Reply
Sprint900 @ 06/02/2013 20:15  

last service I paid for set me back £250.00 only paid cus I was to busy at work and didnt have time in the week. but lets be fair there are some out there who should not be left alone near a toolbox

Update Reply
JP @ 06/02/2013 20:36  

I agree fundamentally with Suzook and JP Some people shouldn't be let loose near a bike with anything resembling a spanner or screwdriver But as for the expense of tools I have to take issue I could equip almost anyone with enough tools to tackle a basic service For a lot less than £95 Auto jumbles are full of good secondhand tools at very reasonable prices So long as the novice takes an experienced friend with them to oversee and advise There is no need to spend more than £50 to £60 IMO And that includes a torque wrench

Update Reply
Emzed @ 06/02/2013 20:54  

ebay is a good place to look for tools. halfords proffessional are bloody good tools, i use them at work myself, but these can be bought cheaper and brand new from ebay. silverline also do a good range, but a lot cheaper. and as emzed has said, auto jumbles are a good source, if the tools are in good nick they don't have to be new. but please please do not use adjustable spanners, they are lethal.

Update Reply
xj @ 06/02/2013 22:39  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email