MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Best Tyres for a Sportster 883

Best Tyres for a Sportster 883 - Forums [Biker Match] Best Tyres for a Sportster 883 - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Best Tyres for a Sportster 883

yup need to get new tyres for my lurverly harley.... Anyone got experience of best ones you think for a harley? Currently it's got Michelin Scorcher tyres and i dunno whether to get same or try something else... Any suggestions mucho appreciated and will help me to decide which ones to get ,,,,, fankoo

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 29/01/2013 20:41  

Hi there xSuzix
I was recommended and ran Continental Milestones on my Sportster.
Good grip dry and wet, long lasting and not too bad on price.
Pretty damn good tyre.
Have a look at these two sites, see what you think.
http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/continental/motorcycle/themes/motorcycletires/cruiser/milestone/milestone_en.html
http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/wheels-tires-brakes-suspension/87738-continental-tires.html
And i get my tyres from this place.
http://www.biketyresleeds.com
Saved nearly £100 for rear tyre and fitting on my Fatbob compared to Leeds Harley quote.
£132 all-in compared to £200 for tyre plus £25 fitting.
Plus the people at biketyresleeds are really nice and helpful.
Hope this helps.
Steve.

Update Reply
vinnie @ 30/01/2013 14:28  

Yes, Conti Milestones are good.

I use the same size tyres as a Sporty on the Z11 I built & use V rated Avon Roadriders, they're good in most riding conditions also

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/01/2013 15:12  

I've used Avon, Continental and Michelin. There's not a lot of difference in performance, perhaps the Continental are the hardest of the three and likely to last the longest.

But as I currently have to go to the Michelin factory as part of my job I should support them! If I remember rightly, the Scorchers come from Michelin in France.

Update Reply
Harley_Rider @ 30/01/2013 18:44  

Thanks for the info guys , i know my mate always uses avon on his harley, bt then i also know that continentals are really good and thanks for those links Vinnie just lookin to make sure got my size ~I guess its a case of try em and see what suits ya best... i do like my scorchers as they have never twitched once in any torrential rain no matter what riding situation and round corners are good too bt coz i been a dumb ass and done thousands of miles on motorways etc over last year i wondered if diff tyre might give more mileage or jus i need to stick to b roads in future pmsl

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/01/2013 19:56  

If you're happy with the Michelins stick with them ;)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/01/2013 20:17  

yeah thanks tracker i might jus do that

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/01/2013 22:44  

This is the link i was trying to put up last night Suzi.. I cannot get it as a hyperlink for some reason sorry ...

www.tyretectrading.com It might be of use to others

Update Reply
Intruder18 @ 01/02/2013 07:21  

nice one intruder thanks

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/02/2013 00:12  

I'd say Avon Cobras. I don't like the Scorchers on my Sportster. I find it does twitch in the wet and nearly caused me a few offs. So when its time to change, which thankfully is soon, i'll be switching. Everyone Ive spoken to have said the Cobras over Scorchers as they are more ideal for UK riding conditions. Superior grip and stability.

Update Reply
bomb doctor @ 04/02/2013 10:16  

Thanks bomb - its weird you say that abut the scorchers coz i have found them to be solid in all conditions an never twithed once till lately when the back tyre has a small square bit and half inch chidken strips pmsl too much motorway anyhow im gona get Avon thanks everyone - all the peeps i know off here have said avon and a fair few of you on here have said avon tooo.... i jus need to decid which ones now pmsl thansk so much all for posting here tho has been ace help xx

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/02/2013 20:48  

LoL Suz, Probs cos I ride mine as if i've stole it and everyday over in N'Ireland is a wet day. http://www.tyretectrading.com/store/home.asp

Update Reply
bomb doctor @ 05/02/2013 21:36  

ok... well it seems i need to ring around coz my siz tyres aint listed anywhere ... avon home website ....tyretectrading.... hmmm
so i will ring a few places it seems a i have an unusual front well and rear knowing my luck....

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/02/2013 22:25  

Suz, Avon Cobra AV71 fit all ranges of the Sportster, you may be limited on the Venoms. There may be some slight differences in some of the speed ratings but its immaterial really. On your tyre sizes the important information is: 100/90B19 57H Take a look at the website: http://www.avontyres.com/motorcycle/cobra&...bra Any stockist should be able to order them for you. What size tyres you got on??

Update Reply
bomb doctor @ 06/02/2013 09:14  

hiya bomb my front is - 120/70/18 and rear 150/60/17 - weird sizes i know! they dont do the venoms or Cobra's in my size accordin to avon website..... !! ive looked on tinterweb and i can only find those sizes in dunlop, metzler and continental i think..... new size wheels on new model.... the search will continue bt i defo wont be buyin em from any harley dealer!! currently got michelin scorcher 11 which came on bike... am finding cheaper prices for these ones other than dealer.. or will ave to find out if any in my size are any good coz seems cant get avon

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/02/2013 20:06  

I always fitted metzlers on my harleys.

Update Reply
GS1085 @ 06/02/2013 21:30  

well i cant find anything appropriate for my bike... bt maybe that is coz all the tyres i wanted dont seem available... gonna ring a few independent bike shops and tyre suppliers and see what is what ... take it from there

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/02/2013 22:04  

yup GS..... looks like ~Metzelers~ it is for me toooo no way im payin amounts of my money for tyres from a hd dealer an that is only place can get the ones currently on her.... so only other tyre currently is the Metzler.... think the other manufacturers may have caught up by time i need tyres again!!! bike only been out since 2011........ so i'll let em orf for now and i could put a rear on with slightly bigger profile bt dont really want to do that as yet anyhooooo bt at least i know wht im doin now ......... now there is a first

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/02/2013 13:03  

You won't be disappointed with Metzelers Suzi I can assure you :-)

Update Reply
Intruder18 @ 11/02/2013 15:44  

ah nice one intruder my mate said same thing... also said they prob be better than the ones came on the bike from hd

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 11/02/2013 20:28  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email