MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Short rider? Had experience riding a lowered bike?

Short rider? Had experience riding a lowered bike? (3) - Forums [Biker Match] Short rider? Had experience riding a lowered bike? (3) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Short rider? Had experience riding a lowered bike?

Hey didgit just took a peek at your bandit and it's gorgeous!

Did you get that belly plate attached below the pipes?

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 03/02/2013 10:27  

just thought i'd bung in my 2 pence worth min. i know you did'nt want another custom, and not sure why you want a restricted bike, is that something to do with having a new licence? sorry i'm not up on all these new rules n regs was'nt to much of that stuff when i did my test ermm a while back lol. but anyway one of my bikes (no not for sale) is the YAMAHA FZX 750 FAZER i'm erm a little vertically challenged as well with a 29 inch inside leg it's bit of a toy compared to my 1100 Pan but love it and even at 60 horses (restricted) it goes like stink as it has the 20 valve head etc, it uses the engine out of the YAMAHA FZ 750 GENESIS. Bit rare but a cracking bike. Anyway just a thought good luck with the search.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/02/2013 19:29  

It's the law oldbiker54. I passed my test on a 125 so under the (new) old licence regs (which changed on January 19 this year, just after I passed my test ) I have an 'A' licence but restricted to 33 BHP for 2 years.

Don't want another cruiser cos they are a bugger to steer!

Been to look at the Divvi and it was fab. Lovely bike and affordable and only just too tall for me.

But although it is monoshock it doesn't have dogbones. The monoshock connects directly to the swinging arm so don't know if it can / how it can/ how much it will cost to be lowered....awaiting info from my personal lowering consultant

I'm getting so bloomin fed up with all of this

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 03/02/2013 20:00  

when the right one comes along itl feel right first time you sit on it

Update Reply
havfun @ 03/02/2013 20:27  

Jesus i did'nt know that what a pain in the a***...................................................................

It's the law oldbiker54. I passed my test on a 125 so under the (new) old licence regs (which changed on January 19 this year, just after I passed my test ) I have an 'A' licence but restricted to 33 BHP for 2 years.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/02/2013 20:28  

It's all changed again since January 19 2013, Oldbiker.

I got in by just a midges whisker under the old regs cos I passed on 15 January........it's a lot harder & a lot more expensive especially for short riders to get a full license now. You have to be very determined and rich to do it now.....blahhhhhhhhhhhhh, there's been loads of discussion about it & the new regs are incredibly confusing

Now, the Direct Access license has to be done on a 600. Bike schools simply do not have 600s that someone my height can ride. If I had failed on January 15 the quickest option for me as a short rider was to buy a 600 that met the new power/weight regulations (complicated) & get all this lowering malarky done at my expense on a bike that I could only ride on lessons with an instructor....Fortunately that isn't the case for me.

I despair for short people finding themselves in that position now cos god only knows I'm finding it damned hard finding a 400/500/600 bike that's lowerable that I can reach comfortably over the tank to the handlebars cos I've got short arms too....and feel comfortable shifting the weight about. And I've been riding for over 2 years so I'm not a complete novice by any means.....it's pants

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 03/02/2013 21:22  

its still winter min so you have time to get things sorted for this year, by the way congrats. on passing your test

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 04/02/2013 00:57  

Is it normal to experience grief when you sell a bike you've had for 2 and a half years?

It's 3 weeks since I sold my 125. Her new owner (who I thoroughly approve of & who will look after the bike a lot better than I ever could) is posting on facebook and I'm actually jealous

This is a bit like childbirth. I'm definitely forgetting all the bad times when I cursed when she wouldn't start, and how hard it was learning to steer the bugger round the cones for the mod 1 test.

Trying to find a tourer that I can have the adaptations done to for my height is so complicated....and potentially so expensive.

.....I'm actually starting to wonder if a virago 535 might be a better bet after all as a first bigger bike

......blahhhhhhhhh, dither, dither....just want to be able to go out when the sunny days start coming

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 06/02/2013 21:38  

It's perfectly normal Min To experience pangs of jealously when someone else has your former soulmate But don't despair THE bike IS out there You just haven't found it yet It may yet find you when you least expect it

Update Reply
Emzed @ 06/02/2013 21:47  

Hiya Minnie, we could start a new site 'Bike and Biker Match'

Update Reply
non-hotmale @ 06/02/2013 23:05  

how about an old diversion 600 Minx? Loads about in your price range and low seat.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 09/02/2013 20:13  

Ooooh was heartbroken last weekend Steve. Went to look at a 1999 diversion 600 and it was great. Ran as sweet as anything. Only done 20k miles, only just a bit too tall and reach to handlebars was fine. It all felt very manageable then my knowledgable bike guru pal noticed that it didn't have dogbone linkages. The monoshock attached straight to the swinging arm so he couldn't work out how to lower it as there are no linkages to lenthen

There seemed to be lowering kits available for older divvys & newer ones, but nothing for a 1999, and they all seem to be different. It's so confusing

I'll maybe look out for another year, but in the meantime I'm hoping to look at a honda CB1 on Tuesday so fingers crossed

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 10/02/2013 22:13  

Oh by the way, went to visit my old bike and I've come through my period of grieving as she was so bloomin clean and polished she seemed like a totally alien bike & nothing like mine!

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 10/02/2013 22:14  

Try a fazer 600 (fzs 600). standard seat height about 790, lowering kits available for 30mm and 45mm from
http://www.lustracing.co.uk/suspension/yamaha-lowering-kits.html
You should be able to get a used fazer in your price range albeit with a few miles on it.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 12/02/2013 07:32  

You might be interested in one of these Min They are quite low in the saddle http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261167214760?ssPageName=STRK:...1438.l2649 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150994012587?ssPageName=STRK:...1438.l2649 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121064848275?ssPageName=STRK:...1438.l2649 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160972959535?ssPageName=STRK:...1438.l2649 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271154175971?ssPageName=STRK:...1438.l2649 I hope you find something you like soon

Update Reply
Emzed @ 12/02/2013 15:09  

Thanks for the links Em

I know the CBR 400RRs have very low saddles but I think There could be potential clashes between that humpy tank & certain podgy bits of my anatomy wanting to occupy the same space

However, I have taken significant steps forward. Found a professionally lowered CB400 that was ace in that I could flat foot it!!!! yes, yes, yes I could, I really could....had a little tentative pootle up and down the yard & I KNOW I can ride it, YEAY!....It's very over-priced though and over my budget cos of course I've also got to have the 33BHP restrictor fitted which will be another couple of hundred quid.

But then found another one 2 years newer & in better condition although it didn't look as tidy but half the price....although it's twin shock we know it can be lowered successfully, YEAY!

Then went to another dealers and sat on a virago 750....and my botty felt like it had come home....it felt so comfy and just right. I knew I could have ridden right out of there on that bike...all though if I do go down the Virago route it will be a 535 I'm going for

Sheesh, talk about contrary Mary, I'm getting really sick of my indecision...but I think I've narrowed it down to the CB400 or a Virago 535. Despite all the horrid things I've said about cruisers and crap handling....ooooh it did feel soooo nice and I think I may end up returning to my first love

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 12/02/2013 18:35  

CB400 would be a good choice. Character I know ran one a few years back and loved it.
I can't picture you on a 400 race rep though! But if you do I'll get you a pair of knee sliders.
If your going for a Virago I'd say go for the 535 cos they handle much, better. Pal of mine took her's over to France with us many moons back and she wasn't one to hang about! Hers was slightly modded with flat bars and a screen.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 12/02/2013 19:36  

brill that you are narrowing it down minnie chick yayyy... and the only ohter thing i would say is that you will never or very very rarely have to ride the bike you do buy like you had to on test ie.. round darn tight cones and etc tight manoevers... you can ride how ya like now so im sure a virago would be no problem at all out there riding inj the real world so to speak rather than test.... yeah you may come across manoevres bt you can deal with them as you want to so to speak rather than how you have to in order to pass a test... does tha make sense well that is just my thoughts anyhow .... bt good luck chick xxx

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 12/02/2013 20:52  

Just thought I'd throw another couple in Minnie. You can get a lowering kit for some Divvies by fitting another top mounting for the shocker. Depends on the year and how much you need to lower it. Check out Lust Racing site.

Another option is to take advice from someone like Maxton and the like, who may be able to supply shorter shocks. Need to be careful with ground clearances if you start lowering yokes down fork legs etc.

Update Reply
non-hotmale @ 12/02/2013 21:11  

Any progress on a new bike Min The season grows ever nearer

Update Reply
Emzed @ 14/02/2013 23:28  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email