MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

helmet cam or similar

helmet cam or similar (2) - Forums [Biker Match] helmet cam or similar (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

helmet cam or similar

It was that cheap you had to tell us twice :-)

Update Reply
Intruder18 @ 30/01/2013 17:43  

Dunno how that happened I only posted it once, honest

Update Reply
Emzed @ 30/01/2013 17:52  

went to action cameras yesterday, had almost decided lol now theres another cam to think about lol it's the HD DRIFT GHOST not cheap but oh so funky, even got remote control lol. bit i like you can have it on looking here and there not actually recording maybe on your steed some numpty does the usual i did'nt see ya you can press a button and it remembers the last 5 mins the present 5 mins and the next 5 mins coming so 15 in total handy to see where ya bin without filling sd card with crap ok it's £300 but over the go pro 3 at £250 which you cant run of yer ciggy lighter whereas the GHOST you can. the guy i spoke to Ross new his stuff as well all questions were answered easilly, as Arnie would say I'LL BE BACK

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/02/2013 18:50  

I like my Go Pro Hero, video quality is amazing. However there is a downside. With all the extras I've needed to buy, spare battery (batt life approx 2 hours), rear view screen and remote capability a £200+ camera is now a £500+ camera Looking at the Drift and reading up on it, I'd say go for that. Very similar in quality and most features incorporated already. I think the 15min play memory feature is really cool. If I'd have known about the Drift before purchasing the GoPro, I would have probably opted for that. For decent cheapish camera, look at the Muvi range. Decent enough but you get what you pay for with regards to quality.

Update Reply
bomb doctor @ 04/02/2013 10:40  

No one can argue the video quality of GoPros's, just look how many are used in TV show like Gadget show and Charley Boorman "adventures". But it is never gonna be described as discreet and as Bomb Doctor says, by the time you add accessories like remote, screen and extra batteries then it's twice the price of everything else.

I've got a Drift HD and the quality is also great. Wish the Ghost had been out when i bought mine as they've covered all the improvements i would want. ie; remote that tells you when cam is on, video tagging, wifi.

With regard to record time, I found a 32Gb card would last me all day (three batteries on rotation with charger), but had to clear card onto external hard drive each night via laptop. Still got LOADS of editing to do but have a few vids on youtube (search Akceller8).

One last piece of advice, buy early and practice. Don't know about newer cams but I found getting the right exposure setting a bit hit-n-miss. the Ghost's iOS streaming would probably helped with this.

Update Reply
akceller8 @ 08/02/2013 16:18  

I know I'm late to this thread, but here's my viewpoint The better the video quality the larger the file size to create it. Its easy to get carried away with super high resolution HD Quality and then moan about how long it takes to upload to your PC, or create edited footage, or how much disc storage space you suddenly need to hold all this high capacity video. Remember what your trying to achieve? Broadcast Professional quality, or to upload it to YouTube for your mates to watch? I chose a Drift HD camera because it had some really good features. Even though its capable of 1080p HD Quality, I choose to video in 720p HD at 60 frames per second. I think a high frames per second rate is more important than high HD resolution, especially on a high speed motorcycle. Some features that I really liked about the Drift HD camera are:- - Rotating lens. This means you can fix the camera to your helmet, and then rotate the lens so its view is horizontal, rather than off slant. - Remote Control. This means you can use the remote (strapped or velcro's to your handlebars) to start and stop recordings. This is ideal to keep the file sizes low, and not incriminate yourself on a spirited mad 5 minutes. - External Mic Adapter. This means you can fit a higher quality microphone and install it in your helmet for a clear commentary (Voiceover) whilst recording - Water Resistant without any additional extra's. This means you can keep recording whatever the weather. I still use the mic attached as well with no problems, even in rain. - Form Factor. The drift camera is aerodynamic so looks small and streamlined when wearing on helmet. With rotating lens you can have it side on, or flat horizontal, whichever suits. - Built in screen for viewing. This is great to show your footage at the cafe half way break... it even has sound and a colour screen. - Removable internal batteries. This is great as I have 4 x batteries which I can swap over when they run down. No internal fixed battery to bother with.... and they last quite a while So overall the Drift HD is a winner. It doesnt have the absolute best quality footage, but really... does that matter... Nobody has ever complained about my video footage as its all about the content not the quality

Update Reply
Arrow675R @ 23/03/2013 09:52  

have pretty much made up my mind i'm gonna go for the DRIFT HD GHOST,

But what setup do you use to clear sd card? am planning to be away for several days at a time so that would be a lot of sd cards? dont really wanna take a laptop lol

With regard to record time, I found a 32Gb card would last me all day (three batteries on rotation with charger), but had to clear card onto external hard drive each night via laptop. Still got LOADS of editing to do but have a few vids on youtube (search Akceller8).

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 23/03/2013 12:27  

Why not look into Cloud File Storage service. This allows you to upload your files and store them on-line. Then all you will need is a USB - SD Card Reader and an internet Cafe. Try it all before you go, then you can just use the internet cafe PC to upload your SD footage straight into Cloud Storage. Then once you are happy its stored safey, use the Drift HD Menu system to re-format your card. Then off you go for another day :)

Update Reply
Arrow675R @ 23/03/2013 14:41  

Another option might be to find a removable stand alone high capacity hard disc drive which will allow direct input from an SD Card. I dont even know if these exist, but its an idea to maybe do some research on?

Update Reply
Arrow675R @ 23/03/2013 14:46  

I just upload mine to a laptop at the end of each day.. Let me know if you find a reliable mobile solution though as I would be interested in that also

Update Reply
Arrow675R @ 23/03/2013 14:48  

How do these cams fit to yer lid?

Update Reply
xj @ 13/05/2013 10:46  

Usually "velcro"

(but sometimes a heavy duty "sticky" pad)

Almost always attached to a strap

Update Reply
Emzed @ 16/05/2013 16:22  

Cheers mz.

Update Reply
xj @ 16/05/2013 17:31  

Bought the DRIFT HD GHOST lovely bit olf kit. But am still working on mobile storage, so it's a pocket full of MICRO SD cards? 10 = about £200 OR am thinking about a netbook with 320gb hard drive for £150/175 hmmmmmm Roll on 25-07-2013

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/06/2013 21:59  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email