MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle Events & Rides Out

Whisky Tour May 2013

Whisky Tour May 2013 - Forums [Biker Match] Whisky Tour May 2013 - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle Events & Rides Out /

Whisky Tour May 2013

Me n Emzed bin talkin 'bout this, so... This will take in the islands of Arran, Islay, Mull and Skye. Visiting the distilleries, and maybe purchasing summat fer when the sun goes down. This is primarily a camping trip, but stopping at a b&b sometime mid-route. The ferry company CalMac do a deal for c£130. Campsites say £10 per night, and the b/b £30. Kick off Sat May 18th, wiv a view to meeting up in Glencoe the following w/e with Steve H's party. Everybody books themselves, but fuller details tba. You don't hav to be a whisky devotee to come along, but there is a small penalty clause - u hav to buy me a wee dram!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/01/2013 20:08  

Remember to leave liver with a responsible adult before you start...

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 05/01/2013 20:59  

this trip sounds amazing!! I need to check my school holidays. This is my idea of touring!!

Update Reply
1066BikerChick @ 05/01/2013 21:05  

Please can I ask you to be XK's official "carer" for the week?
You will need to explain that he is clinically special and apologise a lot.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 06/01/2013 07:53  

Sounds like a crackin way to see the Islands and sample the alternative Scottish water of life Price for the Island hopping sounds good value as well. If you had time back on the mainland there is the Whiskey Experience in Kirkoswald that is worth a visit as well.

Update Reply
BOBKAT @ 06/01/2013 08:40  

Enjoy the whiskey and scenery folks!

Update Reply
Momeg @ 06/01/2013 13:27  

I'm looking forward to this By the way BK & Mo, there is no "e" in Scotch Whisky That's the Irish stuff which we might be doin year after next Having given liver and kidneys a good recovery period And Steve, have you met 1066 She might be worse than XK As hard to believe as that may be

Update Reply
Emzed @ 06/01/2013 14:32  

well i can thoroughly recommend the isle of arran whisky and the Talisker (isle of skye!) only sorry i'll not be doing this - im off to france/spain for 2 weeks the following week. ps XK definitely need supervised by a responsible adult whos prepared to slap him round the head when he misbehaves ...otherwise you'll spend all your time getting chucked out of places!

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 06/01/2013 16:46  

Do you know any "responsible" adults Debs Who are BM'ers likely to take this tour If so, please forward me their details And I'll have descreet word before we embark

Update Reply
Emzed @ 07/01/2013 02:47  

Not sure what way you are going to Skye but theres a wee tiny ferry at Glenelg across to Skye just before you get to Loch Duich. It only holds 6 cars but is supposed to be the original crossing from days of old. Well worth it just for the novelty of it if nothing else .Only runs in summer season

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/01/2013 14:08  

Well Zed, I'm not sure if it's included in the "package" which XK has found But if not it may be worth trying to fit it in "one way" just for the craic We could make a quick return to whichever side we "were" on via the new "toll free" bridge Definitely worth a consideration, thanks for the info mate As an aside, I have been thinking for some time about trying to "do" as many of these small ferries as possible during a week long tour But that will have to be sometime in the distant future and the subject of another thread

Update Reply
Emzed @ 07/01/2013 14:40  

its not included Em as calmac dont run it!

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 07/01/2013 23:13  

Thanks for that Debs I'll try to get a trip sorted on it

Update Reply
Emzed @ 07/01/2013 23:18  

Update: There are two Whisky Trails run by CalMac. a southern one and a northern one. They also do a combined trail for 121 notes. The only fly in the ointment is that they don't link up ie. it does not include the ferry from Islay to Oban. They say this will cost an additional 26 quid. This seems a bit steep as the ferry back from Islay to Kennacraig - incl in the 121.00 - will not be necessary. So we could always ride up to Oban from Kennacraig instead. Prices are for rider and bike.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 28/01/2013 11:55  

Breaking News: Just bin on the dog to Calmac to query the addnl charge. They say this was incorrect, and that the ferry from Islay to Oban is included . In addition, the ferry price from Mallaig to Armadale is for a return. I have an email to confirm. The price is 121.50.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 28/01/2013 12:31  

Have also just realised that if we are to meet up with Steve H's party in Glencoe for the bank holiday, we would have to start the tour on Sat April 28th. I thought he meant the spring bank hol at the end of may - doh

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 28/01/2013 17:08  

Great news about the ferry prices XK You've done your "homework" there OK Shame about the proposed tour dates though I've been making plans for the "original" dates Was hoping to have enough funds by then to finance the trip Not sure I'll have saved enough cash, if we move the tour forward I've been looking forward to this little jaunt It would be my 1st "holiday" for about 6 years It will be dependent now on whether I get an increase in me pension Which, knowing this shower who are in charge, might well be canceled or deferred by then

Update Reply
Emzed @ 28/01/2013 19:07  

Hi XK,
pleased to see you're planning a trip to see and ''drink in'' the beauty of Caledonia. I would love to be a part of this trip . BUT , is a week long enough ? There are nine distilleries on Islay alone.
I'm game for a longer trip or two separate trips,
Dusty x

Update Reply
dustin666 @ 01/02/2013 20:10  

Hey Dusty, where u bin? I'd luv to make it longer, but my bank manager is a tight sod The idea isn't to visit every distillery, just 1 or 2 on each island. We hav to allow time for a bit o riding

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/02/2013 22:45  

Ok , great ,
I was checking out the ferry times on CalMac's website and I gave up after half an hour coz it made my head hurt . Have you worked out an itinerary yet ?
Dusty x

Update Reply
dustin666 @ 02/02/2013 12:22  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email