MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Geotagging

Geotagging - Forums [Biker Match] Geotagging - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Geotagging

Anyone heard of it? I recently found out about this after a guy in another bike forum I use had his pride and joy stolen. Those of you who use smart phones and upload photos from them, did you know that other people can locate exactly where you pic was taken! I've disbaled it on my phone I suggest you do the same.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 28/12/2012 11:31  

More teci phones are giving out way to much info on us without us knowing BossMom has just told me about the add on telly for some apps that gives all your details out. its a realy pain in the ass for me cus as you all know Im no geek

Update Reply
JP @ 28/12/2012 16:56  

it's a bit to easy for crims. to get our detail now, thats why i put the least amount of infor. i can into the computer, it's unfortunate but i cant do without it

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 28/12/2012 17:46  

Big Brother has his eye on you !!!!!

Update Reply
Roughie @ 02/01/2013 07:16  

You can use GeoTagSecurity to remove the geotag info from your pics before uploading:

http://www.geotagsecurity.com/

I like the geotag info on the photos so when I look at a pic say from last year and want to know where it was took, with a couple of clicks it shows me on google maps but yes the downside is that anyone downloading your pics can do the same unless you use the software above (or similar).

John.

Update Reply
YZFJohn @ 02/01/2013 11:32  

Roughie it's not just "Big Brother" It's Big Sister and the whole damn family We are the most "spied on" nation in the world And the Eastern block countries thought they had it bad At least the regimes they lived under were "overt" YZFJohn that's good info for those who use those devices I don't have that worry thankfully I have a perfectly good camera for taking photos I know that my phone can "pinpoint" my location to within a couple of metres I also know where the "off" button is too So I can "disappear" if I want to

Update Reply
Emzed @ 02/01/2013 16:29  

YZF John......... dont ya know where ya bin then ? ? Pmsl ya need the geotag thing to tell you where hte pic was taken Aint it nicer to keep the memories in ya head an heart Just my opinion - bring back platic cups and string i say

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/01/2013 20:00  

Suzi

Update Reply
Emzed @ 03/01/2013 02:44  

geotagging of photos needs to be manually turned on on my phone... o it isnt likewise the GPS thing isnt as t kills the battery if nothing else... must admit i was always anti-'smart phones' but wouldnt be without ine now.... even the camera is decent and i actually ued it more than my proper camera when i was on my US bike trip last year, just for the shear convinience... also of course it made it easier to post pictures back home to annoy my friends

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/01/2013 11:10  

@Emzed - Some Cameras now do geotagging, not just Smart Phones.

@xSuzix - I do but been so many rideouts sometimes I can remember exactly where a road was on a rideout so it just helps me find it again.
I have plenty of memories in my head and the one I wont forget - The Tarmac rushing towards me and smacking me in the face - couldnt get my phone out in time to capture that one! but know the exact spot. lol.

Update Reply
YZFJohn @ 03/01/2013 11:49  

thanks for the info Bluey i downloaded it and checked all me files not just the pictures and it found a number of tags in my files which i deleted, i used the free version and would recommended others using it, try it Emzed and you will be surprised at what it finds

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 03/01/2013 22:50  

ooh interestin stuff folks,I didnt realise either..

Update Reply
rossoandy21 @ 04/01/2013 09:44  

Lol YZFJohn - or rather ouch not lol Is this somethin i need to worry about? or is it literally only if you have downloaded this app??

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/01/2013 17:27  

depends on your phone Suz, like I said on mine you have to actually turn it on (and my camera aint that posh!)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/01/2013 17:41  

The app isn't the problem, it's the solution to removing GeoTag info from photo's.

Update Reply
YZFJohn @ 06/01/2013 17:44  

About a year ago i had a sony erricson and now i have a very basic Nokia
Prob not got it on them so im okies??

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/01/2013 18:05  

It's mainly smart phones and I phones, how basic is your nokia??

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/01/2013 18:45  

VERy basic Bluey pmsl!! its a C2-01lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/01/2013 18:53  

you could still run the free program and remove any tags that you may have Suzi

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 07/01/2013 01:42  

Wouldn't it need to be a "smart" phone to "download" the "app"

Update Reply
Emzed @ 07/01/2013 02:33  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email