MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

Matchless Returns

Matchless Returns - Forums [Biker Match] Matchless Returns - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

Matchless Returns

Classic British brand Matchless has been bought by Franco Malenotti, the Italian responsible for the reinvention of Belstaff apparel. Malenotti has secured the rights to sell under the Matchless name, and has firm plans in place to build replicas of Matchless classics, the G80, Silver Hawk and Silver Arrow - they will be avaliable in Italy and the UK. There are also plans for a Matchless-branded range of clothing - not surprising considering the new owner's background. Matchless is one of the oldest brands in British motorcycling, established in 1899 in Plumstead, London. The brand eventually disappeared in 1966 after a series of mergers by holding company AMC swallowed the Matchless name into obscurity. Initial plans extend only to low volume production, although the trend for new versions of retro bikes combined with a successful recapturing of Matchless' traditional reputation for comfort, reliablity and relative affordability might be a winning one.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 17/12/2012 23:10  

Had a G9 for years so look forward to seeing what gets offered.

Update Reply
Gloom @ 19/12/2012 18:06  

Low-volume replica of a 1930s British bike sounds like a recipe for a steepish price to me.
Had a G12 myself once, which gave me one of my major squeaky bum moments when the speedo drive unscrewed itself from the rear hub and locked the back wheel solid at 40mph

Update Reply
Wills @ 19/12/2012 21:20  

Hope it dosent go like the royal enfeild have loads being posted on e-bay claiming to be the original when there not.

Update Reply
JP @ 20/12/2012 13:51  

Should name the new bike gutless

Update Reply
boristhebold @ 20/12/2012 19:40  

From memory, the Silver Hawk was a V4 OHC Modern materials and internals with higher specs could make this an interesting concept I look forward to further developments Oh, and Boris, it's not "always" about raw power and brute force Sometimes it's nice to have a "soft" and tractable low compression bike to just "pootle" the lanes on

Update Reply
Emzed @ 21/12/2012 17:38  

Wotcha.

Please don't let it end up like AJS . . . . . the name found on cheaply made tat these days.

Update Reply
GHW @ 21/12/2012 19:42  

but it will.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 22/12/2012 08:42  

You know folks

Update Reply
boristhebold @ 22/12/2012 12:17  

Well it could prove to be a revelation If the new Marque owner has taste and integrity But yes, it could all go horribly wrong

Update Reply
Emzed @ 23/12/2012 03:37  

What a bunch of pessimists Doesn't 'replica' mean 'exact copy of'? So why would they be different to the originals?

Update Reply
Sandi @ 23/12/2012 08:47  

Quite often the term "replica" translates as a euphemism for cheap & nasty copy Sandi It's not pessimism but healthy cynicism which colours our appraisal I'm prepared for the worst, hoping for the best and accepting of what comes Which means that whatever happens, I won't be totally surprised or disappointed

Update Reply
Emzed @ 23/12/2012 09:15  

Quite often the term "replica" translates as a euphemism for cheap & nasty copy Sandi Ah righto Em

Update Reply
Sandi @ 23/12/2012 09:54  

You're very welcome Sandi I like to keep folk up to speed

Update Reply
Emzed @ 23/12/2012 09:59  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email