MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

BM Website Issues/Help Requests

Paying for a friend

Paying for a friend - Forums [Biker Match] Paying for a friend - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / BM Website Issues/Help Requests /

Paying for a friend

Quick poll - I often get asked by folks if they can help out a friend by paying for their account to be upgraded.

Normally this is only possibly by you giving your card details to your friend, or they give you their username and password - but not very reasonable solutions.

How many people would be interested in my making a facility whereby you can upgrade someone elses account for them? I could put a link on the profile of standard members that anyone can click on to upgrade their profile for them.

Would have to make sure it's not too confusing and people think they're upgrading their own account rather than someone else's

Update Reply
Matt @ 09/12/2012 13:52  

Would it be less confusing to offer some form of gift membership somehow. Perhaps along the lines of purchase an on-line membership with the link to upgrade being sent by e-mail to the intended recipient. I know what I mean but don't think I worded that to well; lol. It's been a long couple of days and I'm tired.

Update Reply
Simon66 @ 09/12/2012 16:30  

I think Simon's on the right lines. The link should be on the donor's profile, with the recipient's name the last stage in the process once everything else has been completed, and even then a final 'your are about to pay a subscription for xxx, do you want to continue?'

Update Reply
Wills @ 09/12/2012 17:33  

what a cool idea.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 09/12/2012 18:54  

Great Idea but it could be a can of worms. IE joe bloggs upgrades sue smith's account cus he thinks he is on a promise then sue smith jumps into bed with fred dobbs and then you got joe bloggs bitching he wants his money back cus he didnt get his promise

Update Reply
JP @ 09/12/2012 21:34  

Can someone pass me a shovel I dont think the hole is quite deep enough yet

Update Reply
JP @ 09/12/2012 21:41  

I'm just thinking with a gift membershp by e-mail it may encourage new members. Doing it that way the gift could be sent to anyone including non members as that awkward Christmas / Birthday present where you can't afford to buy them the Goldwing on their wish list. Encourages new members as well as upgrades for current free members, increases income, and hopefully will produce renewals as and when the time comes. Just my thoughts. Now JP, tell me about this Sue Smith as I've not met her yet?

Update Reply
Simon66 @ 10/12/2012 02:39  

PML @ Simon's comment about Sue Smith

Update Reply
Sandi @ 10/12/2012 08:36  

Pmsl. It was jp's comment sandi.
Great idea this ;) my subs due next cimbo. Just saying lol

Update Reply
bic chick @ 10/12/2012 09:30  

Doh blooming phone help delete lol

Update Reply
bic chick @ 10/12/2012 09:32  

pml @ JP comments (oh dear i'm on with the giggles now and can't stop, will have to find a distraction)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/12/2012 13:07  

Bic Chick, I was laughing at Simon's comments, just above my post.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 11/12/2012 00:14  

Totally agree with what JP says, could and probably will get messy.

Update Reply
bomb doctor @ 11/12/2012 00:29  

yea ok I think it will get messy indeed, if I see half of the stuff people already complain about behind closed doors.

Problem also is.... what if you pay for a spammer to upgrade their account? The small payment for BM is also used as a good deterrent to keep out spammers (who never pay because they don't want to give out their personal details to the site)

Update Reply
Matt @ 11/12/2012 15:28  

Its a shame really as its a great Idea. How about a weekly draw for std members thay add there name to it and you draw a winner. or is that a load of work for little gain

Update Reply
JP @ 11/12/2012 18:19  

Pissing myself @ JP's comment

'Great Idea but it could be a can of worms. IE joe bloggs upgrades sue smith's account cus he thinks he is on a promise then sue smith jumps into bed with fred dobbs and then you got joe bloggs bitching he wants his money back cus he didnt get his promise'

If you think that by upgrading someones membership is a sure thing to the route to the inside of a girls undies ha ha man, now you know where you have been going wrong all these years.....PMSL.....

I think its a good idea..... and if someone starts greeting they want their money back....FFS tuff..... a gift is given freely and should have no conditions and attachments....I for one would be glad to help a 'friend out if they were financially over burdened especially at this time of year.....and I wouldn't even be worried if they knew who had done it...and certainly wouldn't have be doing it in the hope that there would be any strings attached....

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 11/12/2012 19:24  

You could give it a test run Matt, see how it goes?

Update Reply
Sandi @ 02/01/2013 09:22  

I totally agree Sandi Give it a trial run for a month If it causes problems Then it can be discontinued

Update Reply
Emzed @ 02/01/2013 15:53  

I would definately be up for buying a subscription for a friend as a birthday present (well once she has her laptop working).

Update Reply
rowanblossom @ 02/01/2013 17:09  

Well I'm hoping it's possible Because someone is trying to give "me" an upgrade Otherwise I'll be missing for a quite some time Now that the council/government have decreed that I have too many bedrooms And "stolen" £11 a week off me

Update Reply
Emzed @ 03/01/2013 03:26  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email