MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Laser eye surgery

Laser eye surgery - Forums [Biker Match] Laser eye surgery - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Laser eye surgery

Hey all, I need some advice from anyone who knows about this type of surgery. My eyes have been bad for a few years, and are getting worse. One in particular. I'm short-sighted I think, the one where you can't see in the distance. Its worse when I've been looking at TV, or reading a book close up, then everything in the distance is just a blur. Can laser surgery work for this type of sight problem? I know not all eyes can be fixed by it. Also - do they offer surgery where they put u 2 sleep? I can't possibly have them slice the front of my eye off whilst im awake!!!

Update Reply
Matt @ 14/08/2007 15:13  

Laser surgery is very good for short sight Matt. My sister had it done about 12 years ago and has had no problems. You do need to make sure you research it properly tho'. They don't put you to sleep It doesn't take that long to do now a days, too quick for knocking you out!

Update Reply
Di @ 14/08/2007 15:36  

But they slice the front of your eye off to scan the back of your eye don't they?

Update Reply
Matt @ 14/08/2007 15:41  

Try this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/medical_notes/4649079.stm and this http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2745035.stm and also some of the links

Update Reply
Wills @ 14/08/2007 15:48  

i feel sick

Update Reply
Matt @ 14/08/2007 15:49  

Woah, spooky. Just been talking about this!!! I went to Ultralase at the beginning of the year and they (initially) quoted me about £2,500, but the quote went up in stages till it stopped at £3,500. Not bad for 5 minutes work. I honestly think a proper consultation is best, but watch the hidden charges. I don't think they knock you out for the op, so you'll have to think happy thoughts as they slice and dice mate....sorry lol

Update Reply
Blueboy955i @ 14/08/2007 15:52  

They put drops in your eyes Matt so you don't feel anything and the way its done now is very quick.

Update Reply
Di @ 14/08/2007 15:54  

The other thing to remember is that if your into your late forties everybodys eyes deteriorate to a point where you'll need reading specs anyway and no amount of laser treatment can do owt about it.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 14/08/2007 16:08  

Yep, quite right blues and also night vision can be a prob too.

Update Reply
Di @ 14/08/2007 16:12  

when I get to 40 everyone will have night-vision glasses and 20/20 vision anyhow, so that's not a problem

Update Reply
Matt @ 14/08/2007 16:51  

Matt when you get to 40 I'll probably be DEAD waaaa I could recycle my glasses, or bequeath em to you rofl ======== I thought laser treatment worked on anyone's eyes regardless of age, guess I was wrong there then, oh well I'll just have to rely on dodgy specs. I can't see with em or without em

Update Reply
Sandi @ 14/08/2007 18:49  

Aparently it fixes crap eyes but not old ones. N yea my mates think i will be dead before im 30. :-( some say 25. They've got a book running now

Update Reply
Matt @ 14/08/2007 19:15  

N yea my mates think i will be dead before im 30. :-( some say 25. Erm...how OLD do ya think I am? lol

Update Reply
Sandi @ 14/08/2007 20:08  

Personally, I quite like having the option of being able to take my glasses off so that I don't have to see who or what I'm talking to

Update Reply
Ducst4 @ 14/08/2007 23:30  

I definately don't think its for you if you are squeamish. My friend had it done and she said when the laser was doing whatever it does she could smell the burning <puke> Ive worn contact lenses since I was 19 and think I will stick to them unless they can also laser my eyes under general anaesthetic.

Update Reply
TAT2DVEGAN @ 15/08/2007 05:30  

I keep thinking about having this done. I've kinda got used to my contacts. It's nice to be able to 'go blind' first thing in the morning. Wandering round in my jimjams can't be a plesant sight

Update Reply
Wench @ 15/08/2007 11:20  

Matt, the top eye surgeon for this type of thing is Dr David Gartry at Moorfields Eye Hospital in London. Goodle him and see who he is. However, he is more expensive than the high street laser peddlars. Got the wife's ewyes done by him about 4 years ago and it cost £4,000 back then. However, I don't think prices have risen, may even have fallen but Moorfields and David Gartry are are the leading edge of eye care. As yet, eyes are not easily transplantable so do you want to chance your eyes with the pile em high, sell em cheap brigade?

Update Reply
shooter @ 15/08/2007 20:09  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email