MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

BM Website Issues/Help Requests

Calender/Events

Calender/Events - Forums [Biker Match] Calender/Events - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / BM Website Issues/Help Requests /

Calender/Events

Hi all. Can you put "BM" next to calender events so we know wether its a general bike meets or a BM meet? good/bad idea? Can the posts that are not active be removed? & can i have a favourites button for posts? i start to follow a thread & can't find it again, or is that me just being blonde? RideSafe Cat

Update Reply
cat1 @ 29/11/2012 05:54  

Hi Cat On the calendar, you can usually tell if it's a BM organised event or a public event by what info is given within the text Not sure what you mean by 'posts not active be removed' are you refering to the posts in the forum or the text within an event on the calendar? No event gets deleted on the calendar, if an event is cancelled the word CANCELLED is added, so that those who have their name down can see it hasn't just been removed. It saves confusion. Your last comment is a technical one which is Matt's domain, however if you write down the title of which topic you are following, and the forum it is in; along with the name of the person who started it, you should be able to find it again easily. You can use the search button and type in the title and it will bring up some possibles for you. To all, if you have any query about the calendar contact me either via the contact icon, on the home page, or via PM (private messaage) The moderators don't deal with the calendar. HTH Sandi (calendar admin)

Update Reply
Sandi @ 29/11/2012 09:18  

i know what you mean cat1 the calender is full of rubbish events that no one goes to most confusing, i'v asked about having a BM events calender but we still dont have one, we appear to have 3 calendars that seem to have pretty much the same on them, surely we can have one Matt that only has events that are organized by BM members or is being attended by a reasonably large group of BM members. Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 30/11/2012 23:58  

Bill, rubbish events?, why are they confusing? Just cos there are no names on the attendees list, on the calendar, doesn't mean no one attended, not everyone adds their name. 3 calendars? Where? We only have one events calendar, the other place that events are posted is in the events FORUM. A BM only events calendar? There aren't that many events organised by members to warrant a whole calendar, are there? The calendar events are submitted by individuals, so I assume they are of interest to someone. Just cos they aren't of interest to you doesn't mean they shouldn't be on the calendar.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 01/12/2012 00:11  

Not just what i think Sandi others have mentioned it to me, it has also been motions on here before how confusing it is for newcomers when there go to places listed on here as BM events only to find people there but no BMers.
If you look in the drop down menu we have Motorcycle Events Calender, Calender and Search Calender in the list, which gives you 3 ways to access the same calender. Why couldn't one of the options give you a calender of events which BM members organize or events which have ten or more members attending instead of the list of cafes and pubs which are listed week after week and events with only one or two going to. Yes we do need all of these listing (although i'm not sure i would call all of them events)but also a list of major event we are going to would be helpful to newcomers and some of our existing members as well.
And by the way Sandi why did you have to go to the big print, are you shouting at me?

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 01/12/2012 03:47  

Im going to upset someone here but whats new lol.
Please do not change to a 2 list system its hard to try and fit meets in now without the trouble of having to check 2 lists of meets. Yes at the min there are a lot of events in the calender and some could be removed, most events team know what is what on the calender and can work around it. If there was a BM list we would then have to look for a clear weekend, then recheck the next calender for a clear weekend then see if if there are big events on the weekends before incase we start over streching members budgets. Dont forget we also take into account we all need days free to service our bikes and make sure there safe to ride.

Update Reply
JP @ 01/12/2012 08:41  

Ooops, Didn't mean to wind anyone up, We dont need another calender, just the BM logo at the side of the event so as we know that its BM run & we can meet a friendly face if we choose to go. Sandi, the events thing/posts i been trawlng through & was going to add a comment & because no-one had posted for 3 months or more then it wouldn't let me, that's what i meant by removing them, Sorry for any misunderstanding Ridesafe Cat

Update Reply
cat1 @ 01/12/2012 10:35  

Cat 1 dont worry about starting a row we dont need any help lol. If you see an event that you fancy click on the event listing and scroll down you should see who is going to the event, if there are no faces down to go and no thread to give you the info you need start a thread to see who is attending. We have a few meets and nights out around brum and we try and have them down as brum night out so if you see that your more than welcome to come along and join us. Next werek we have a party in shirley we can still fit you in if you fancy it just let us know there are rooms avalible at local hotels if you fancy have a drink or 2. Hope to see you soon

Update Reply
JP @ 01/12/2012 12:58  

And the fat bloke strick again lol. your down to go to the party see you there.

Update Reply
JP @ 01/12/2012 13:00  

Now you've explained what you meant by 3 calendars it makes sense. You meant 3 ways of accessing the calendar via the Quick Jump menu. I have to agree, how confusing, altho I never noticed it til you mentioned it. If you ask Matt I'm sure he would either explain why or realise we don't need 3 ways and delete the other 2. I don't recall events in the calendar having BM attached to the title, the KISS rally is a BM endorsed event, the other events are ones that are organised by members of BM and altho a BM event; cos BMers organised it and BMers are going to it, not a BM endorsed event. To clarify, Matt doesn't endorse the events that members organise for themselves and fellow members, which means he is not responsible for the activites or actions of anyone attending. Members attend at their own risk. The cafe/pub events that are listed on a regular basis were added at the request of several members, however, you're right, sometimes no one puts their name down on them and no one takes photos at these venues. I don't know if you are aware but I did argue that a cafe or pub that bikers go to regulary is not an event, it's just a venue, but I was in the minority and the venues remain on the calendar. Matt wasn't fond of having them on the calendar either but since then Matt requests that if a cafe or pub is mentioned on BM that they have a BM flyer or some promo cards within their premises, otherwise it's just free advertising for their businesses. The larger text? So it doesn't get missed amongst the other posts, plus as the day gets shorter my eyes get weaker, I have cataracts. IF I WAS SHOUTING AT YOU BILL I WOULD TYPE IN CAPITALS Cat, I'm not sure why you need a BM logo at the side of events that are organised by fellow members, the text explains what the event is about and if it's a BMer that's organising it I will add contact the member for more info etc. It's usually posted in the forum, with the same title to make it easier to search for it. Ah I see you meant the events FORUM, yes, I asked that question of Matt, if it's going to be locked then why not just delete it altogether. Exceptions being information threads, they can be locked to prevent comments being made but need to remain on the forums so newbies see them. Apology accepted but not needed

Update Reply
Sandi @ 01/12/2012 22:53  

How about some events on the calender down here in south of country,apart from boring old Ace cafe! All the decent meets and bm rallies seem to be in the midlands and further up (why is this?) , surely there are enough members in south to warrant something!!!!!!!

Stew

Update Reply
boristhebold @ 02/12/2012 07:02  

Hi Stew, If you arrange a rally or a meet, i'm quite sure some of us Midlands lot will come down to say hello. Ridesafe Cat

Update Reply
cat1 @ 02/12/2012 07:43  

Its all down to organisation us in the midlands travel to lots of euents all over maybe some of you could arrange a weekend camping

Update Reply
shelleygirl @ 02/12/2012 07:49  

...All the decent meets and bm rallies seem to be in the midlands and further up (why is this?) Hi Stew ...because it's those who live in that area that organise the events. A few Southern-based members have tried to encourage their fellow Southerners to meet up but it usually meets with apathy and a low, or zero, turn-out. Agreeing with Shelley, anyone can organise an event, even if it's just a ride-out to a local beauty spot or a cafe for a cuppa. it doesn't have to be anything spectacular, or cost money, other than your own fuel and a cuppa. What's that expression...'Use it or lose it' So come on you folk down South get your finger out, you have plenty of time to organise something for the spring. If you're not an organiser then encourage those who organise gatherings by turning up at them. If they don't get anyone attending they may not bother organising anything else in the future. It's all down to the individual, you get out what you put in. Remember to take your camera with you and get some nice pics for the calendar, cheers Here are just 4 events taking place down South April 26-28th 2013 Bum in the Mud rally - Essex http://www.bikermatch.co.uk/sites/bm/events/event_details.asp?event_id=3820 May 25th 2013 Bikes, Rods and Rock n Roll - Bucks http://www.bikermatch.co.uk/sites/bm/events/event_details.asp?event_id=3821 Oct 5-7th 2013 Condom rally - Essex http://www.bikermatch.co.uk/sites/bm/events/event_details.asp?event_id=3826 Every Thursday in Reading, it's bike nite at the Butler pub on Chatham Street 7pm - 11pm / 19:00 - 23:00hrs http://www.bikermatch.co.uk/sites/bm/events/event_details.asp?event_id=2392

Update Reply
Sandi @ 02/12/2012 08:51  

Ok Sandi i will wait until better weather then see if any members in Essex want to get off their arses and do something , cant have those up north having all the fun! lol

Update Reply
boristhebold @ 02/12/2012 16:10  

Ok Sandi i will wait until better weather then see if any members in Essex want to get off their arses and do something , cant have those up north having all the fun! lol

Update Reply
boristhebold @ 02/12/2012 16:11  

I personally DONT think any events on the calender are useless.
There is something for every1
Keep it as it is I say

Update Reply
xXx_J9_xXx @ 06/12/2012 12:57  

Inactive topics can't be posted in because of the confusion caused when a "new" topic seems to appear with hundreds of posts in. Most don't realise it's months or years old. They wont be deleted because often they are useful discussions, news items, etc. Deleting them serves absolutely no purpose and they don't take much space the the database (just text).

Regarding the calendar - one is perfectly fine. The different pages (like Search) give you the option to filter the calendar, but it's the same calendar. We would have to agree on a system that everyone follows if you want to see BM events separately, like adding "BM" into the title or something.

Every event in the calendar also has 2 numbers before it which tells you how many people are going and how many of your friends. It's a very easy and simple design which needs no change at all. Everyone can see at a glance where their mates are going to.

There are more events up north by BMers because they are more active on BM. We have tried several times to get the southerners to pull their fingers out and organise stuff but rarely get more than a couple of hands in the air volunteering.

Update Reply
Matt @ 08/12/2012 16:30  

Maybe an on going effort by the site to get southerners together might be the way forward down here, dont forget that new members are joining all the time and some of those may well be interested in actually meeting up in their own county and not 50+ miles away!The only way is not Essex but a regular meet would be nice.

Update Reply
boristhebold @ 09/12/2012 09:14  

@Matt

Thanks for explaining the two numbers. The first one - obvious, but never knew what second one was for (me not being very observant probably).

How do you make this number show anything. I am getting to know more people and I see them at events/meets but the number always remains at zero. (Surely somebody must like me lol) I just need a little guidance on how to "tag" friends.

Please excuse my computer illiteracy. (I can type with two fingers now though)

Denis

Update Reply
non-hotmale @ 09/12/2012 11:23  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email