MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

Last minute changes to bike test rules

Last minute changes to bike test rules - Forums [Biker Match] Last minute changes to bike test rules - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

Last minute changes to bike test rules

Wranglings over what motorcycles can be used under new bike test rules are continuing with only weeks to go before the January introduction date. In August the Driving Standards Agency said the test for an unrestricted category ‘A’ motorcycle licence would have to be taken on bikes of at least 67bhp under plans. But now the DSA has said that requirement has been postponed until 2018. In the meantime the category ‘A’ test can be taken on a 54bhp machine. The changes are part of a shake-up of the motorcycle licensing regime from January 19 which will see under-19s restricted to 125s and under-21s to 47bhp. There will be three licence and test categories under the new rules: ‘A1’ for 125s, ‘A2’ for up to 47bhp and ‘A’ for unrestricted machines. There had been plans to make 67bhp the minimum for bikes used in the category ‘A’ test but the DSA said: ‘The DfT has now secured a written statement from the European Commission saying that these specific rules can be implemented later. This means that they won't now come into effect until 2018. The longer implementation date is still subject to EU approval.’ The 67bhp requirement had been criticised by riding instructors as too powerful. Bernard Adams, MD of Cam Rider Training, said: “I wrote to the minister voicing my concerns and it’s looking like the Government and DSA are of the same mind.” But he said the late plan changes would be disruptive for instructors who had already bought new fleets and manufacturers seeking to make eligible bikes. Under the new rules, the minimum age for a single ‘direct access’ test will be 24. Riders will be able to qualify for unrestricted machines earlier, at 21, by taking the ‘progressive’ route, involving more than one test. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Update Reply
Sandi @ 26/11/2012 07:26  

This is SOOOO confusing!! Anybody any idea what the rules will be for those of us **ahem** mature people who will be taking their test on a 125?? (after Jan 2013) What are we going to be restricted to & will we have to do another test to move up the BHP category??

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 26/11/2012 10:35  

Sorry Stella but I have a feeling you will not get a clear answer to that

Update Reply
JP @ 26/11/2012 12:00  

Stella - had a bit of a root round and JP is correct, no clear answer at all. Only information is about Direct Access with regard to "mature" persons. I would say ask your instructor but they are probably as confused as the rest of us about the changes. I did note on one site it stated "Please note that from 19 January 2013 all learner riders of category A2 and category A motorcycles must be accompanied by an Approved Motorcycle Instructor (AMI) at all times when riding on public roads". I could have misunderstood this, but does this mean that, unlike now, if you have your CBT you won't be able to get out and ride round on a 125 on your own and practice?

Update Reply
rowanblossom @ 26/11/2012 14:12  

The categories are changing on the 19th of Jan,
As Sandi says: There will be three licence and test categories under the new rules: ‘A1’ for 125s, ‘A2’ for up to 47bhp and ‘A’ for unrestricted machines. Anyone taking a test on a smaller bike will have to re-take a test on a bigger bike, no matter what their age is. At the moment, A, Full bike licence. A1, Test done on a 125cc bike or under NOT capable of 100kph A2, Test done on a 125cc bike capable of 100kph+ restricted for two years. I hope this helps.

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 29/11/2012 18:25  

Glad I got my licence a long time ago

Update Reply
JP @ 29/11/2012 20:40  

New riders from 19 January 2013
From 19 January 2013, the following new rules will apply.

Passing your driving test for a moped after 19 January 2013

The minimum age to ride these vehicles will still be 16 years, and you’ll still need to pass your:
compulsory basic training (CBT) theory test practical test
Once you’ve passed your tests, your entitlement will be shown on your driving licence as:
category AM (the European category) category Q
If you choose to pass another test first, such as cars or light motorcycles, you’ll receive the entitlement to drive mopeds as well. However, you will need to pass your CBT to ride them on the road (as now). Your moped entitlement will be shown as above (categories AM and Q).
Category A1 (small motorcycles up to 125 cc)
Category A1 covers small bikes with:
a cylinder capacity not more than 125 cc power output not more than 11 kW and a power to weight ratio not more than 0.1 kW per kg motor tricycles with a power output not more than 15 kW
The minimum age limit for category A1 will still be 17 years.

You’ll have to pass theory and practical driving tests to get this entitlement.
Category A2 (medium motorcycles up to 35 kW)
Category A2 covers medium sized bikes, with or without a sidecar, which have:
an engine power output not more than 35 kW a power to weight ratio not more than 0.2 kW per kg – the bike must also not be derived from a vehicle of more than double its power
The minimum age for category A2 is 19 years.

There are two ways to get this entitlement.
Direct access
If you you’re aged 19 or over, you can take a theory and a practical test.
Staged access
If you’re aged 19 or over and you have two years’ experience on an A1 motorcycle, you can take the practical test.
Category A
Category A covers machines unlimited in size and power, with or without a sidecar, and motor tricycles with a power output of more than 15 kW. There are two ways to get this entitlement.
Direct access
If you don’t have two years’ experience, you’ll have to be aged 24 years or over. You’ll also need to pass the theory and practical tests.
Staged access
You can get this category from age 21 if you have two years’ experience on an A2 motorcycle and you pass a further practical test.

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 29/11/2012 20:46  

and if you understand all that then you deserve a medal anyhow

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/11/2012 18:34  

As usual the dice are loaded against new bikers.
If I was a very well heeled young guy I'd pass my driving test in a cheap car and then go and buy a 200mph McClaren/Ferrari/Audi A8 etc. etc., then I could kill loads of people including myself.....but I wouldn't have to take a test to drive a high performance car.

+1 Suzi!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/11/2012 19:06  

I had an arguement with some local nut job who said i didnt have the proper licence for unlimited category, thanks for proving my point!

Update Reply
Momeg @ 07/12/2012 21:08  

Article on this in Ride (February 13) on pages 104 and 105.

Update Reply
rowanblossom @ 17/12/2012 09:31  

Must be able to just move another EU Country take a simple test and then come back

Update Reply
JP @ 17/12/2012 14:17  

o dear,i am soooo confused,and want to do my test in the spring too!!

Update Reply
witchiest @ 18/12/2012 08:16  

Madmum Im sure you can just go for the direct acess test.

Update Reply
JP @ 18/12/2012 12:16  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email