MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Winter clean and protect

Winter clean and protect - Forums [Biker Match] Winter clean and protect - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Winter clean and protect

I'm gonna be giving the Hawg a good clean down with in the next few weeks and about time too! WD40 on a rag should help aid the process and autosol but whats the best for keeping the all the grime off if i decide to take it out for a ride over winter??

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/11/2012 11:56  

Wash down after every ride lots of hot soapy water to get rid of the salt and road grime. if I use mine after washing it down as above I hose it down with lots of hot water as drys better and desolves any remaining salt then light polish with solvo or wipedown WD40 as both leave a gressy coating then good waxing to the paintwork

Update Reply
JP @ 03/11/2012 13:06  

Moving this thread from the Technical forum to the 'Bikes, Products & Services' forum.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 03/11/2012 14:43  

Why Sandi its not a service or product its advice so Tecnical is right thread

Update Reply
JP @ 03/11/2012 17:30  

ACF 50...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/11/2012 08:35  

cheers all

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/11/2012 11:05  

JP, Bluey typed ...whats the best for keeping the all the grime off if i decide to take it out for a ride over winter?? isn't that product advice Bluey is asking for? If Bluey wants it moving back I can move it back, no problem.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 04/11/2012 13:36  

ACF50 is great but does tend to develop a protective layer of grime.
If you can cope with the mike looking shite all winter use it, in the spring when you clean it off the bike will be fine underneath.
If you want the bike to look shiny all the time try that scottoiler F365, you will need to keep re-applying it after every wash but it works well too.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 04/11/2012 17:35  

Moving this topic back to 'technical' forum as requested by Bluey

Update Reply
Sandi @ 05/11/2012 03:42  

ACF 50 for me but then my bike is laid up for winter

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 05/11/2012 12:45  

acf50 for me too - keeps the salt off wen riding on the winter roads - yeah me bike looks grimey bt that dont bother me at all

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/11/2012 19:00  

is it a one coat application or do you wash it off and re-apply after every ride out??

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/11/2012 18:17  

you dont have to wash it off adn reapply every time i dont think coz it protects and stops the salt gettig through so you can leave it a couple outings or so well that is what i do bt the full destructions are on the tin it was designed for aircraft and boats originally bt it is about 12 quid a can i think - you coudl give it a go and see what you think? but yeah you do need to reapply as you see necessary so to speak

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/11/2012 20:02  

yep what suz said.. quite expensive but cheaper than replacing rusty bits, and a little does go a long way (oo-err ), I normally spray on to get in all the crevices, then for the easier to reach bits put some on a cloth and wipe it on... it also smells nice when it gets hot..

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/11/2012 20:08  

The basic rule I go by is, if there is any salt on the road, the bike stays in the garage. If I do have to take it out, I clean with a jet spray straight after I get back. Every inch which is why I use a spray.

Update Reply
timhall @ 06/11/2012 23:51  

my basic rule is that the bike goes in the garage beginning of October and comes out end of March so dont have much trouble with salt or grit on the road

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 07/11/2012 09:35  

i would have missed a brill lil ride today with gorgeous sunshine, autumn leaves and trees if i had done that bill ...... acf50... who cares if the roads are salty x good spray down when home get any salt off... no need to acf50 again till a couple more rides... Simples

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 11/11/2012 17:57  

i'd of missed going over to Liverpool today and buying a quad bike if i'd been out on a bike today Suzi so glad i was not

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 12/11/2012 01:25  

Bill hope you get lots of snow so you can play on the quad

Update Reply
JP @ 12/11/2012 22:45  

i'v been thing of sticking the front end on a fireblade jp

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 14/11/2012 03:27  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email