MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Aprilia Pegaso Strada probs

Aprilia Pegaso Strada probs - Forums [Biker Match] Aprilia Pegaso Strada probs - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Aprilia Pegaso Strada probs

Hiya, has anybody heard of this problem? My Strada 650 cuts out in mid ride. Only when the engine is warm, when I down gear, I pull in the clutch downgear and when I let go of the clutch, the engine would be off. Can usually restart it straight away, or in 2 goes, but it's a bit hair raising when it happens when you just aproach a bend and have to ride through it with no engine on lol. Had it on diagnostics with nothing found, raised tick over as it was too low and had a faulty spark plug changed. Still does it though. Any ideas?

Update Reply
TheSlasher @ 22/10/2012 16:21  

Was it checked out on a rolling road or static ? When the bike is running try fiddling with the clutch leaver if it has a switch for starting it may have a short

Update Reply
JP @ 22/10/2012 19:33  

It was checked out static. I am not sure its the clutch lever, it only ever happens when I down gear...

Update Reply
TheSlasher @ 22/10/2012 19:43  

sounds like carb trouble. had same trouble years ago. try draining carbs see if any water in them

Update Reply
petewick @ 22/10/2012 20:46  

Hmmm Pete, has been done about a year ago....

Update Reply
TheSlasher @ 22/10/2012 20:48  

thats if its not injection

Update Reply
petewick @ 22/10/2012 20:50  

thats if its not injection! never looked at strada

Update Reply
petewick @ 22/10/2012 20:53  

Damn, cause its injection. About a year ago, everything got serviced, cleaned, drained... and it's not done a lot of milage since

Update Reply
TheSlasher @ 22/10/2012 20:53  

water has no respect of time ha ha

Update Reply
petewick @ 22/10/2012 20:55  

Lol I know what you mean hehehehe

Update Reply
TheSlasher @ 22/10/2012 20:56  

Hiya

Hope this helps you just copy and paste link below into your address bar.

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?207124-Engine-randomly-dies-when-I-pull-the-clutch-%28Pegaso-Strada%29

Update Reply
PaulXXX @ 23/10/2012 17:41  

Thanks Paul, read it and it's nothing that I haven't read before, doesn't really give me a clue to what is happening. As I said before, this seems to be a common problem with the Strada and nobody seems to be any the wiser.... Strange bike for a strange rider lol

Update Reply
TheSlasher @ 23/10/2012 19:57  

If its injection could be an issue with ecu. especially if its a known issue. only seems to be doing it on over run. and starts again straight away. manufacturers have a habit of denying there are faults if it could cost them.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 23/10/2012 20:05  

Well, apparently they have recalled some of them, but not mine

Update Reply
TheSlasher @ 23/10/2012 20:16  

Well, apparently they have recalled some of them, but not mine

Update Reply
TheSlasher @ 23/10/2012 20:17  

if there have been recalled for the same fault I would be banging on the door and making lots of noise with mcn live just a few weeks away thay dont want you by there stand slaging off there bike at every bike show across the uk and talking to mcn about how you could have been killed when it happend in rush hour on the M25 by heathrow ?

Update Reply
JP @ 25/10/2012 09:54  

Hi all, new on here but similar problem on my RSVR. After roughly 2 hours of riding starts cutting out on me, power loss when accelerating, if i pull over and take it out of gear revs up to redline no problem, in gear and under load splutters and loses drive, catches again then dies again. Had full Aprilia diagnostic, showed know fault, breather pipe clear, any ideas? Getting a little dangerous losing drive mid corner! Cheers, Dunk.

Update Reply
ApriliaDunk @ 27/10/2012 13:44  

It is frightening, isnt it Dunk? As I said, mine does it when I down gear, most of the time it's not so bad, I just restart it and carry on, but it happened to me aproaching a bend and I was doing about 60/70 mph, I down geared, it cut out and I didn't have time to restart it, so breaked as much as I could and run round the bend still doing nearly 60 with no engine running.

Update Reply
TheSlasher @ 27/10/2012 21:55  

Years ago I used to get carb icing when shutting throttle down on motorway off ramps on cold days, carbs had radiator fluid piped through them to keep warm but still had to add fuel additive to fully cure problem. Could this be a similar problem with your injectors, you could try a good dose of additive and see what happens.

Update Reply
harry worth @ 28/10/2012 12:02  

had a quick google and looks like they had similar probs on the XT660 (same engine), but never really got to the bottom of.. might be worth having a look around the yamaha forums as there were various tweeks suggested, mainly around the TPS and adjusting the timing/tune via a power commander.. seems a shame really as its a bike i quite fancied myself...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 28/10/2012 15:11  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email