MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

chain cleaner machine

chain cleaner machine  - Forums [Biker Match] chain cleaner machine  - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

chain cleaner machine

I am looking for a decent chain cleaner machine the you can put on and let it does it job ....... I am sick of using the other halfs toothbrush ........ ta Ginger x

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/10/2012 14:55  

Dont thing thay make one you could always spent £100.00 + on a parts washer but there just a brush on a hose

Update Reply
JP @ 10/10/2012 15:53  

You can get a chain cleaning brush, looks like a giant toothbrush, for about a tenner.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Laser-4140-Chain-Cleaning-Brush...B002TZWEF8

or has anyone ever used one of these?

http://www.getgeared.co.uk/KETTENMAX_Motorcycle_Chain_C...rce=google

Update Reply
Wills @ 10/10/2012 17:58  

The second link looks a good bit of kit and not that expensive

Update Reply
JP @ 10/10/2012 18:44  

oh good grief! whats up with wd40 and a clean rag!!! and then some wurth chain wax - doesnt end up everywhere you dont want it!

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 10/10/2012 23:12  

I am sick of using the other halfs toothbrush ........ PML, I bet SHE is too

Update Reply
Sandi @ 10/10/2012 23:16  

I've got one of the giant toothbrush thingies, and it's great.

Update Reply
Wills @ 10/10/2012 23:34  

WD40 buggers up the o rings on chains kwakgirl.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 11/10/2012 02:15  

I have heard the same about WD40 on O rings, something to do with the propellent .

Update Reply
Sweeny Todd @ 11/10/2012 11:07  

The makers of WD40 says it doesn't affect O rings - but then they would say that, surely?

My experience with WD40 is that it tends to make rubber and similar compounds soft and / or swollen. But even if the O rings are left unharmed the WD40 is similar to a penetrating fluid and therefore likely to creep past the O ring and contaminate / break down the grease within the links that the O ring is supposed to protect and retain.

I suppose if you have the sort of bike that 'eats chains' then the chain may become stretched / worn and require replacing before the WD40 can work its way in to do harm. For myself I just spin the wheel whilst the chain passes through a piece of lint free cloth and then just lightly spray some quality chain lube on it.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 11/10/2012 12:23  

Just fit a Scott oiler.
End of problem.
Dusty x

Update Reply
dustin666 @ 13/10/2012 19:34  

i have a scott oiler its a bit messy but not to bad if you keep it adjusted, chain last hell of a lot longer, i tried most sprays and they were just as bad or worse for fling and chains didn't last long

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 15/10/2012 05:22  

Even with a scott oiler, you should still clean all the grit and crap off your chain periodically. I ride all weathers, all year round and my last chain did nearly 30k / 3 years.
I've got an auto-brush thingy for my bicycle chain & could swear I've seen one for motorbikes - try Busters / M&P etc.
But - having found broken links on chains in the past - I think there's a lot to be said for a tooth brush, rag, and bare hands...

Update Reply
tappy @ 22/10/2012 23:14  

for the last 20 yrs i have cleaned my chains with WD....never had a broken or damaged chain and i get plenty of life out of them. i do a proper job of cleaning them every 500mls or so...i dont leave WD dripping off the chain but keep turning the wheel until the rag as well as the chain and sprocket is clean...i.e. no residue. and i dont leave it soaking in either.

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 29/10/2012 17:50  

How about an old fashioned method. A paint brush and some parafin. Any solvent will do as long as it doesn't eat the rubber seals that are on most chains now.

Update Reply
timhall @ 29/10/2012 23:02  

i use paraffin all the time for cleaning oily bits on bikes and cars, it's cheep and cheerful

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 30/10/2012 03:06  

I got one of these:
http://www.getgeared.co.uk/KETTENMAX_Motorcycle_Chain_Cleaner_and_Greaser?utm_medium=shopping_feed&utm_source=google

Works for me and seems to do a good job. I use a chain degreaser fluid then out on a chain wax. :)

Update Reply
MjN @ 02/01/2013 11:40  

http://www.getgeared.co.uk/KETTENMAX_Motorcycle_Chain_Cleaner_and_Greaser?utm_medium=shopping_feed&utm_source=google nice 1 - gonna get one of these

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/01/2013 11:54  

And let's face it, if a dumbass Essex bird like me can use it then you guys might be in with a chance of figuring out how it works. ;D lol

Update Reply
MjN @ 02/01/2013 12:02  

Is this the same dumbass Essex bird who's posted in another thread about problems with a BMW?
(puts on patronising voice) They've got shaft drive, m'dear

Update Reply
Wills @ 02/01/2013 13:43  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email