MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

It's official, biking is in the blood

It's official, biking is in the blood - Forums [Biker Match] It's official, biking is in the blood - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

It's official, biking is in the blood

According to a study by bike insurer Bennetts the desire to ride motorcycles is in your DNA. With input from a psychologist, the study has theorised that motorcyclists have a genetic predisposition in the form a of a 'novelty-seeking' (NS) gene, which brings out a tendency for impulsive, exploratory and risk-taking behaviour. The research from Bennetts found that the majority of bikers, 85%, were introduced to two wheels by a family member, with 11% saying a friend and 4% responding that it was a non-relative, including a partner or colleague. The findings also discovered that bikers had the matching personality traits associated with the NS gene, with risk-taking (72%), low boredom threshold (71%) and spontaneity (69%) amongst the responses. It was also found that 68% of bikers were introduced by an immediate family member, 9% by an aunt, uncle or cousin and 8% by a grandparent. Motorcycling often defines a person, and this was shown by nearly three-quarters (73%) admitting that their bike defines who they are. As many as 62% said they couldn’t live without their bike and others even revealed that they consider their bike a family member (61%) or an extension of their personality (70%). Psychologist Donna Dawson said of the findings: “Psychologists know from studies on twins that up to 60% of personality traits are inherited; however, environment, in the form of upbringing and opportunity, also has a role to play. "Our research tells us that most bikers were introduced to biking through a family member and that all questions related to the ‘NS’ gene personality traits (such as being a risk-taker) and the biker’s emotional attachment to his or her bike resulted in very high scores. "This reveals that the majority of biking families will be passing on an ‘NS’ gene, which in turn is also being reinforced by an environment in which bikers are setting an example and sharing their love of biking - it’s certainly ‘in the blood’ from what I can see!” How did you get into biking?

Update Reply
Sandi @ 06/09/2012 10:19  

Told ya Always said it was "in the blood" And it was "ar kid" who sarted it with me But I heard that one o me grandads, uncles and some cousins are similarly afflicted

Update Reply
Emzed @ 06/09/2012 11:36  

My Dad started me off when I was 13 he started teaching me,got 3 sisters ALL married bikers,one has her own bike, took late wife on bike 1st night out together,my nan told me to watch what I was doing with her on the back,then my mom told me Nan used to ride SIDESADDLE!!! on cobbled roads!!!!!Got 3 kids eldest daughter and son passed bike tests and youngest daughter is the best pilly I've ever carried.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/09/2012 12:04  

I've been around bikes all me life - my Dad always had em & I think I was about 3 the first time I was on the back of one of em. However, I would not say I'm a risk taker - biggest woos you'll ever see! But for some reason, I don't see riding/being pillion on a bike as taking a risk...never have! Actually - I'll re say that - I don't see being pillion as being a risk - probably cos I've been a pillion most of me life...However Riding a bike I do get a bit nervy about - probably why it's taking me SOOOOOO long to get me test sorted !!

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 06/09/2012 14:00  

Dad was a biker. Youngest daughter wants one. All kids have enjoyed pillion. Interestingly, maybe showing it may be nurture aswell as nature, the youngest though not mine biologicaly and a biological father who wouldn't dream of riding a dangerous motorcycle is nuts about bikes. He shows all the other traits of a biker too.

Update Reply
xj @ 06/09/2012 16:19  

My dad was a biker and my big brother took me for my first pilly when I was 8...loved it ever since. Personal traits: risk-taking ....errm, it would seem so low boredom threshold....absolutely spontaneity....you bet Consider my bike a family member?...What a stupid question. Of course, she's my 4th baby!

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 06/09/2012 19:23  

Hmmm lets see, well my Grandfather, Mother, father and both uncles all rode bikes so yeah, there just could be some truth in it

Update Reply
centurion @ 06/09/2012 20:33  

Nope, no-one at all in my family had bikes, unless you count my dads c90 he had for going to work. But i hated that sodding thing.

I just grew up lusting after an LC and my sisters bf had a suzi 750 something, which he gave me a pilly on round Rhyl when i was about 11 and that scared the crap outta me.

I guess for me its not really in the blood so much as its a desire for the bikes and the lifestyle that goes with it.

And Bennetts have got a vested interest in coming up with these sorts of "findings"

Update Reply
DukeZ @ 10/09/2012 22:55  

Nice one sandi, an interesting read. My Dad had a bike for a few months but could never call him a biker. I agree with those statisics. In my case, always wanted one from a child never been into cars and not had one for 4 years now and dont miss one either. My Dad says I should get rid of bikes get a car, comb my hair,remove piercings and be normal. What he means is be like him, far to boring in my book, perhaps he is just jealous as I have lot more fun than he does or ever did.

Update Reply
Sweeny Todd @ 10/09/2012 23:52  

I've loved bikes all my life. Don't know where it came from, my dad hated them and forbade me to ever get one. No one else in my entire family has a bike, I am one of seven. I had a bad motorbike accident when I was 22, off work for 2 years, still love bikes. I hope I will be biking when I'm 100.

Update Reply
linas @ 18/09/2012 00:16  

Wow off work 2 years, sounds really bad accident, least you still riding and continue to do so, respect to you for that. It appears biking is in the blood whether we inherit it or not.

Update Reply
Sweeny Todd @ 18/09/2012 11:22  

well it's certainly in my blood all my family was into them, plus my ex. wife has a Fireblade, but i'm real pleased to say that my daughter has no interest in them i'd worry like hell if she was on one.

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 24/09/2012 22:46  

The only biker in my entire family (aside from me) was my uncle. I'm not even sure that counts as he was a bike cop in the traffic department - so possibly not entirely his own choice.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/10/2012 12:50  

i am the first biker in my family.....although all three kids have had bikes now too.....i must have a rogue gene!

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 03/10/2012 08:52  

Think Im the 1st In my family but Ive given the bug to my son

Update Reply
JP @ 03/10/2012 22:29  

I think im the first BIKER in my family although my older bro mest about with my dads moped when he was 12. You no the usual try to stunt ride. Then take it apart to figure how it works. Then i he met our uncle stan who was a stunt rider ( not blood married my moms sis) other than that. Idont remember him owning a bike . But since me my youngest bro is a biker. I met and married a biker (not together now thou ) but have a wonderful son he also is a biker. I thought it was a good idea for all the biker friends we all acumalated over years for my sons 26th birthday to get together for a ride out on the well known fab biker roads in yorkshire. The outcome was amazing. Because i live darn sarf now. So i travelled ooop north on my own my actual first long trip on my own

Update Reply
fantasia @ 04/10/2012 10:45  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email