MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Treasured Plate

Treasured Plate - Forums [Biker Match] Treasured Plate - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Treasured Plate

I have a treasured number plate that I have had for a few years, in the past when I have changed it to whatever bike I have at the time, it has not cost me to change the number on my insurance policy, but this time it cost me £35, then they emailed me my new policy details, how can it cost £35. When I took the policy out, I did inform them I have a treasured plate that I would be registering to the bike, the very nice lady said that it won't cost me if I do it within 3 months, which I have done and now they are saying it's 35 quid. when I challenged it, naming the woman i spoke to, I am getting oh that lady has left and its £35.

Update Reply
Roughie @ 21/08/2012 14:03  

Tell them to send her the Bill Or phone and ask to speak to her as she is dealing with your problem see if she is still there

Update Reply
JP @ 21/08/2012 15:11  

Doesn't matter if she's left or not. She was working there when she told you it was a free transfer and was acting on behalf of the company. Personally I'd make the payment but ensure you make it clear that you're not happy and intend to seek the advice of the insurance ombudsman. Them having to deal with the ombusdsman will hopefully make them think it's not worth the hassle for £35 and they might just give you an instant refund. Worth a try.

Update Reply
Simon66 @ 21/08/2012 15:15  

If you disclosed your intention to change the reg number prior to accepting their offer of insurance and in the same phone call, then it forms part of the contract. Any reputable insurance company will hold a record of the call for a minimum of 12 months as anything you say to them also forms part of the contract. If however the conversation occurred after you agreed to take the insurance then it's a change after the contract came into force and you would need it in writing.
While it could be argued that the agent exceeded her authority in verbally altering their standard T&Cs they would be hard pressed to prove it.

Update Reply
Gloom @ 21/08/2012 19:27  

agree totally - stick to your guns on this - they will undoubtably back down at the thought of the ombudsman tramping thru the paperwork

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 21/08/2012 20:59  

I,m insured with mce and they charge £35 everytime I ring up to amend my policy :( and they say they make no money and put or premiums up.... Aaaaaarrrghhh but life goes on :D

Update Reply
shawy42 @ 21/08/2012 22:45  

Banks and journalists have been rumbled , lets hope its this lot next !

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/08/2012 11:47  

I have paid the £35 and said i'll be remembering it when i have to renew my policy, which i will do. when i get the the renewal quote i'll be insisting on a £35 reduction on any quote they give me and i quite agree with you Firetrap !!!

Update Reply
Roughie @ 22/08/2012 12:56  

treasured plate....the one i just ate fish and chips off.....best plate i saw ,,,70's bloke in frome in somerset had a triumph with TON100...how much for that sucker now i wonder...?

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 22/08/2012 21:43  

Used to have a 350 Velo with FCK 699 Ar kid had a 650 Beeza at the time with 9939 U So we took great delight passing people as a pair

Update Reply
Emzed @ 22/08/2012 21:56  

My Plate is R6 SUX

Update Reply
Roughie @ 23/08/2012 11:34  

My plate ends FKU and no its not a private plate but i think it fits its purpose! lol

Update Reply
OMNF @ 23/08/2012 19:00  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email