MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

BMW what goes wrong

BMW what goes wrong (2) - Forums [Biker Match] BMW what goes wrong (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

BMW what goes wrong

Rode a GS to check out the hype, was not impressed, worse is the owners forum, they have had a major issue with fuel pump relays think a total of 375 failures recorded on the road, ie cut out when moving,serious on a bend. Frankly once you have paid that sort of money think the rose tinted specs come on. Ridden all sorts and love Ducati before they became a fashion item so know about walking home!! Fact is if you want to take an important package to Istanbul in 24hours on a bike, Honda Pan, Honda blackbird. Vikings attacked Istanbul in 8-- that takes some thinking about takes 5 hours on a plane!!

Update Reply
ZZRTAR @ 11/09/2012 06:27  

Eurostar microlight fixed wing, ignition system Ducati Electronica!! I met all sorts of interesting people stranded near Cirencester, Stroud, Cheltenham, Swindon etc but up there youre going down there mucho rapido, still get in though?

Update Reply
ZZRTAR @ 11/09/2012 06:34  

BMW K75 broken againnnnnnnnnnnnn why oh why did i buy one. Alternator drive has self destucted again 2nd time since i've owned the bike got it at easter bout 15,000 miles since. well it's back to jap for me

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/11/2012 18:00  

That sounds a right PITA. Yes, I'd probably get rid too if I was getting these problems.
Having said that, mechanically speaking BMW K-bikes are usually indestructible. Do you know what exactly has failed? The alternator is driven off an auxiliary shaft within the engine via a cush drive, and replacing the rubbers is a fairly easy DIY job.
If it's the drive shaft itself that's gone, then major surgery is needed and it's probably not worth doing. Time to move on, especially as it's obvious that you and the K75 have never really hit it off together.

Update Reply
Wills @ 20/11/2012 22:14  

I am an avid lover of BMW's. Amongst other bikes, I currently ride a 1958 R50. I have been looking into getting a R1200rt but also keep looking at the Yamaha FJR1300. I am still confused as to which one to get.

Update Reply
davidneale @ 20/11/2012 23:40  

cush drive rubbers and the cup they sit in for the 2nd time this year

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/11/2012 08:14  

I've got an 2001 R1150R roadster which is quick enough, and comfortable for a old short-arse like me. It'll cruise all day at a 100 and the handling when set up correctly is surprisingly good. I use an independent BMW engineer who was a w/shop manager at a local BMW main stealer and has 30+ years BMW experience.
Weaknesses? Output splines have been known to strip on a small % of bikes.
Final drive bearings known to fail if not given fresh oil each year. Faulty Hall sensors can give ignition problems. Twin spark models (2004 on) not really any better than single spark. Other than that no real difference to any other bike...they can all go wrong no matter what you buy. Finish is way better than the new Street Triple R I had for 6 months!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/11/2012 18:49  

I luv emm,,,when we went to Belgium the only bike that broke down was the GS Beemer Still, I guessed correctly where the fault lay and a bit of teamwork and internet access got it going again, saving the trusty Guzzi the job of towing the Beemer back to the UK....

Update Reply
rossoandy21 @ 01/12/2012 00:47  

I have a 53 plate 1150rt I've had to dump the power assist brakes and abs to fix this cost £60 parts from motoworx two switches and some brake pipe links easy then they give you a wiring diagram for main elec plug to bridge conectors because the cost of a new pump £1200 is way over the top usual BMW trying to keep the value up and no point in using second hand unit still to exspensive
It's comfy done 61000 miles the seat has different height adjustment built in, elec connections need weather protected as with all bikes but there are a lot on bm's because of ie screen grips radios power sockets and gen wiring,handling is great two up or solo inc all camping gear it's not a sports bike it is big but as with any bike don't brake deep into corners and you won't upset there handling.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/12/2012 10:20  

And now it's doing headlight bulbs bout 2 in 2 days, done about 4 in almost a year FFS F*** grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr hate it arghhhhhhhhhhhhh

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 31/01/2013 20:48  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email