MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Affordable Training

Affordable Training - Forums [Biker Match] Affordable Training - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Affordable Training

It never ceases to amaze me how many more ladies are taking to two wheels these days But a constant cry is the horrendous expense involved, even just to get a CBT Then the cost of the rest of the hoops. you're made to jump through I'm amazed we've managed to accumulate as many as we have I'm sure there are many ladies out there ...... Wishing that the expense of training could be more affordable ? What if I told you I might have solution ? Well I think I might have come up with, if not a solution. then at least an alternative to what might be the norm Would anyone be interested in training at a "residential" course Cheap/free ? accommodation Weekend CBT course Weekend Mod 1 & Mod 2 Transport to and from the site would need to be arranged separately but there could be the possibility of a shared mini bus or car sharing All depending on how far apart the interested parties are from each other It might get some people on the road a bit cheaper PM me if you are interested If there are sufficient numbers to make it viable I'll take it further and tell you more

Update Reply
Emzed @ 13/06/2012 22:00  

That's very thoughtful of you Em

Update Reply
Sandi @ 13/06/2012 23:28  

Awww ... 3 big cheers for em .. how good is that ?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 14/06/2012 00:35  

Emz I want my full license more than anything, but money is a major factor for me. I would definately be interested in this Anything that will help me through my test is more than welcome. and I'm sure there will be a few more interested in this.

Update Reply
Karey @ 14/06/2012 10:31  

Omg Emzed.. I was going to wait till David got home and ring him about my experience today... ~ I booked in for my CBT (although not telling you when just in case its a crap day and I don't get through) but.. the guy who booked me in.. he was awful.. Ive met him before and I just think that he doesnt like me.. I was totally humiliated this morning.. thankfully I wont be doing my CBT with him.. but he is one of the trainers and all Ive been thinking about all day since is how uncomfortable I am going to feel being taught by him.. and I want to enjoy it.. not fret about it.. which Im already doing which is why Im waiting for David to get home so I can tell him the full story... then XK sent me here!! So in a smaller paragraph.. Hell Yeah!! Please please please.. I will do my CBT as already booked and payed for but definately want to do the others as a weekend long course.. Even if I'm not ready to do the tests I would far rather this than have the nevous anxiety I am getting about the other... Bless you!!

Update Reply
rockchickeelicious @ 14/06/2012 14:34  

Good to hear of your interest in this idea RCL Sad and angry to hear of your appalling treatment by the test centre **shole who gave you a hard time There is no place for that sort of attitude in the "test" environment It's hard enough without negative abusive or indifferent test centre staff Keep yer chin up girl, stick to what you KNOW you can DO WELL After your CBT the rest of your training should/will be a pleasure

Update Reply
Emzed @ 14/06/2012 18:21  

Rockchick that is awful what you had to go through with that instructor, how dare he! You are a valued customer/client to them and they should treat you as such. If there is a chance you can get a refund you should cancel it now!
Im lucky, I went for an independent instructor who did my CBT, I actually only did my CBT in Feb this year as here in NI it didn't come into force until then so I was riding my bike for months before I had to do it.
Em's idea sounds fantastic go for it!!!
And cancel that other one if you can, they don't deserve your time!
XX

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 14/06/2012 19:18  

YES PLEASE, I'd definitely be interested, even if I manage to get my mod 1 passed before this was to take place. It would be great to get my mod2 done with lots of lovely people surrounding and supporting each other.

Update Reply
HippyRockChick @ 15/06/2012 15:28  

hi rockchick dont pannick about cbt .. t is for training and not test . there fore you can not fail cbt .. it just takes some ppl a little longer to complete the full syllabus than others . however there are schools that will fail you if you fall behind in your group . this is bang out of order and should not be done . i would suggest you ask your training school what procedures they have if you fall behind , or make a mistake during the training ?? .. http://youtu.be/I0AZ98PwaCs once you passed cbt . it will be mod 1 time . take a look at a vid i made last sunday . buzz

Update Reply
buzz_sp1 @ 15/06/2012 17:26  

Some good vids on that link, buzz I've done my CBT twice, first one expired and current one expires in October and I've done my DAS but failed on the speed ! and having watched the training videos, I realised I've probably lapsed a bit on my riding, ie I don't do my shoulder checks as often as I should and I tend to put my right foot down at lights etc, so I definately need a pre-test refresher. I think a weekend training is a great idea, when can we start???

Update Reply
Karey @ 15/06/2012 19:47  

thankyou karey when you say speed , i take it you was too slow ?? the shoulder check :- blind spot check . to be done when noticably changing position in the road lifesaver to be done when unsure whats behind you or if there is room for a vehicle to be in the area that your turning towards. and as you correctly stated , the left foot should be the prefered foot to go down when stopping , because you will be using only the front brake to bring yourself to a stop in the last few feet , and it should be the rear brake .and how can you do that if its on the road .

Update Reply
buzz_sp1 @ 15/06/2012 20:04  

Its a shame some training schools act in shall we say a less professional manner, interesting comment that some schools fail you should you fall behind, I am shocked as not heard of that one. I agree with buzz, it is bang out of order. The training scheme i volunteer for are all volunteers we do it for the love of it and not for proffit. some trainees will need a lot more practice than others to complete the CBT and training should be at the trainees pace to ensure they complete all the elements to the required standard. Once again agree with buzz... Compulsay basic training not test.

Update Reply
Sweeny Todd @ 15/06/2012 21:09  

Yeh buzz, my speed was 46kph and 44kph, just not fast enough
I do remember my lifesavers/ blind spot checks when overtaking and coming off roundabouts, turning into side roads etc, but don't always remember to look left and right before setting off, although I do look over my right shoulder. With regards my right foot down, I just seem to feel unstable with my right foot on the brake, I've even mastered a hill start holding my legs against the footpegs before I set off but I'm consciously trying to regain the taught way of riding..lol Like I said, I have a few 'bad habits' that need correcting

Update Reply
Karey @ 15/06/2012 21:09  

if you do blind spot check usually over right shoulder b4 pulling away that is just fine (no worries) . maybe if you lean the bike more to the left with your left foot down that will help with stability (and confidence) re hillstart , have you been taught the "hendon shuffle" a recognised proceedure since the 70s ? im sure within 2 hours i can get you doing 55- 57 kph with a smile on your face .. hopefully training starts soon

Update Reply
buzz_sp1 @ 15/06/2012 21:30  

Nope never head of the 'Hendon Shuffle' I'm always smiling when I'm out on my bike, except when I failed my test Well I look forward to taking part in this training, as and when

Update Reply
Karey @ 15/06/2012 21:38  

well thanks to em . its looking good that we can get a good sized group together to address a wide variety of issues . and have alot of fun at the same time (very important)

Update Reply
buzz_sp1 @ 15/06/2012 21:52  

sorry sweeny todd . ive only just seen your post , it got lost on the page switch . am glad to meet another volunteer instructor. also good to hear of another surviving voluntry school . not many of us left .. maybe you will be interested in helping out on emzed campagne .. have you got "c" qualification ?? or down trained , it doesnt matter either way , your skills will be needed to help out for this popular weekend ..

Update Reply
buzz_sp1 @ 16/06/2012 01:50  

It took me 3 attempts at my CBT and I only paid once for it. I dropped the bike first time, totally lost confidence the second time and the third time I ended up doing it on a scooter. I paid for a lesson on a scooter just to get my confidence back. Went back inside all ready to go home when the instructor asked if I was in a rush and did I want a little try out on the road, a couple of hours later he was handing me my CBT certificate I didn't stop grinning for the rest of the day

Update Reply
HippyRockChick @ 16/06/2012 07:20  

well I'd be interested in this - been putting off going for my test for far too long & have only done 100k's since last year ....I even keep putting off doing my theory & hazzard perception test cos I don't like the hazzard perception test... lol Emz - I know it's late - but welcome back

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 16/06/2012 09:32  

No worries Buzz. I am down trained but my yellow card expired now, i still instruct but dont do CBTs now, due to lack of spare Sundays. I tend to teach 125 training now and do referals from the get on campaign where people can have an hours free off road trial to see if they would like to ride bikes and take further training. I am happy to help out if i can,

Update Reply
Sweeny Todd @ 16/06/2012 15:07  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email