MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

BM Website Issues/Help Requests

URGENT: Site errors - deadlock victim

URGENT: Site errors - deadlock victim (6) - Forums [Biker Match] URGENT: Site errors - deadlock victim (6) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / BM Website Issues/Help Requests /

URGENT: Site errors - deadlock victim

I've just got this error... means nothing to me so I copied it here . Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80004005' Transaction (Process ID 142) was deadlocked on lock resources with another process and has been chosen as the deadlock victim. Rerun the transaction. /sites/bm/index.asp, line 446

Update Reply
TAT2DVEGAN @ 15/08/2007 17:25  

Oh crap - THAT ONE is a bad one - and unexpected (The line of code). Eeek. :-( Im on a course this week Wed - Fri and my 2 tutors are both trying to help me figure this out. But we're strugging. Too many people connecting to the database every second and too many write requests. :-(

Update Reply
Matt @ 15/08/2007 18:10  

make ya mind up, one minute not enough folk, the next, TOO MANY lol

Update Reply
Sandi @ 15/08/2007 18:53  

Update Reply
Matt @ 16/08/2007 04:25  

ok the views column has been removed, and the constant UPDATE command stopped. The query on the All Topics page has also been altered... but we're yet to find out what the impact will be on performance. Please monitor very closely for me over the next few hours and let me know how you get on. Cheers

Update Reply
Matt @ 16/08/2007 16:20  

Oh my god I've never known the site to run so fast! A big performance problem as I said was that EVERY time you viewed a topic, the view counter was updated. This update added a lock on the database, which meant that if someone else opened the topic at the same time (or the All Forums page) then they got errors. Let's see how it goes now, I'm amazed at how fast the site is running now but I'm not holding my breath

Update Reply
Matt @ 16/08/2007 16:47  

I think I might have fixed it! Without any expensive server upgrades etc.

Update Reply
Matt @ 16/08/2007 18:24  

I can't wait to check the log files and see if there have been any problems today. :-) Has NOBODY received any deadlock errors?

Update Reply
Matt @ 17/08/2007 09:30  

aaaaah the silence! AND the log files state that nobody has had any deadlock or time out errors since I made yesterday's changes! Many thanks to Hans and Anne-Marie from Globalknowledge if this has worked.

Update Reply
Matt @ 17/08/2007 12:42  

Nope not had any errors It also looks tidier without the 'views' column and seems to load pages a bit quicker

Update Reply
Sandi @ 17/08/2007 14:29  

Yea theres more room for the subject title. Yep the site is faster... a HELL of a lot faster! No more database updates on every page. I honestly can't believe how fast the site is today.

Update Reply
Matt @ 17/08/2007 14:31  

Due to the new circumstances RE performance and no more deadlocks, I've made some changes to the chatroom. Namely: making refresh times 5 times faster. This means 5 times more hits to the server for each chatroom user. It could well cause the site to cripple again, but I hope not. Anyhow - please could everyone watch the chatroom VERY closely and see how you get on with it. You should see your posts coming up much faster, users appearing quicker etc. If you get any errors though, I need to know them asap. Thanks

Update Reply
Matt @ 17/08/2007 15:00  

The last DEADLOCK error from the log files was precisely... 2007-08-16 14:54:24 PST (Pacific time). That was 7:54pm last night in the UK... shortly before i applied my "fixes". Please god PLEASE tell me it's fixed (So I can move on to the next thing haha).

Update Reply
Matt @ 17/08/2007 15:07  

Please can I have some comments on this issue - how is everyone finding the site today and yesterday? is it fast(er) and does it still crash??? Im back at work now, so I can't monitor the site much with regards to speed. Therefore I'm relying on you all to advise me Thanks

Update Reply
Matt @ 18/08/2007 15:03  

UP until 20:30 today, it was slower than a second hand Lada.

Update Reply
rattler @ 18/08/2007 16:25  

hmmmm - check your internet connection lol I've been using it tongiht and it's definitely fast. If you're not sure if its your internet connection or the website, you will see at the bottom of every page a "Page generated in 0.5625 seconds" bit. This is how long it took to generate the page before you started downloading it. It should never get to more than 2 seconds. It could be 2 seconds even if it took 15 seconds for you to "download" the page to your PC. Does that make sense? lol

Update Reply
Matt @ 18/08/2007 16:43  

Hmmm, time to twiddle with my pc. Right where's me lump ammer lol..

Update Reply
rattler @ 18/08/2007 17:18  

lol, i could do with one of them for BM at the moment haha Im so hoping its been fixed though, spent days trying to fix this.

Update Reply
Matt @ 18/08/2007 17:34  

ok so now that the site is running like a dread (current internet problems aside), I have re-enabled the "100 miles" and "National" options to searches. Let me know if you have any problems, or if the site starts to slow down again. ta

Update Reply
Matt @ 20/08/2007 15:59  

Matt I had horrendous problems with bm last night, I couldn't log off once in there and then when I did I couldn't get back in. I was on chat to and it kept freezing on me, couldn't close it but couldn't post on it either, so ended up having my posts done by proxy, thanks Mate you know who you are. lol

Update Reply
Cruiser gal @ 21/08/2007 06:15  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email