MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

BM Website Issues/Help Requests

Adding links to gogle maps in posts

Adding links to gogle maps in posts - Forums [Biker Match] Adding links to gogle maps in posts - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / BM Website Issues/Help Requests /

Adding links to gogle maps in posts

Matt is there a way we can get the HTML code to work in posts. Just thought it may be a funa nd more visual way to plan rides or show good destinations could even have it on the events page.

Update Reply
cavywavy @ 30/05/2012 20:39  

we all ready have the post code there is't that good enough, lets keep it simple, a lot of people won't know what a HTML is

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 31/05/2012 06:13  

Hyper-Text Markup Language

Update Reply
Sandi @ 31/05/2012 09:06  

Post code is ok for a single point but if your planning rides its nice to show the route and then everyone can pick somehwere to meet on route. It was just an Idea, dont get me wrong the events orgnised are great but its all everone meet here or weekend camping here. This is a site for bikers and I like to actualy ride my bike, I dont have the flexibilty to do many of the weekends so I was hoping to just orgnise some days out ridding visiting places

Update Reply
cavywavy @ 31/05/2012 16:36  

Its a fine idea mate I had a look at your proposed route for a ride around Derbyshire and it was very helpful to be able to see the route without having to open maps (physical or on-line) I also appreciate that RIDING your bike as opposed to PARKING it somewhere is a priority for some who only have limited time off Being able to JOIN in on a ride at a predetermined point is a most HELPFULL addition to the "modus operandi" It gets my vote What about other folk ?

Update Reply
Emzed @ 31/05/2012 16:53  

That's fine if folk can read a map unfortunately most cant

Update Reply
JP @ 01/06/2012 13:31  

That's the whole point of cavy's idea JP Take a look at his google map link on his post regarding : Ride out bank holiday weekend could do somthing like this http://goo.gl/maps/ZrBr It's as clear and concise as anyone could wish and NO map reading skills needed The proposed route is well illustrated and because he's done it on Google Maps you can ZOOM in to see exactly where you might want to meet up with the ride, after making your own "rough guesstimate" as to when you could get to a particular location IMO it's a major plus to rides and meets

Update Reply
Emzed @ 01/06/2012 14:07  

I wasnt trying to start a fight it was just an Idea and only those that think it helps need to use it.
Like I said I was trying to come up with a way to orgnise some ride outs rather than meet ups.

Update Reply
cavywavy @ 01/06/2012 20:58  

No wurries cavy This is a forum for "discussions" I'm not fighting with anyone ! Just having my say A couple of years ago, when I was last on here, I used Google maps to plan my routes to other peeps houses when I was "mobile mechanic" Not everyone is as "up" with the technology I often set off for places and just rely on road signs But not when other people are involved in my travel plans "Free riding" is great when you're alone, no-one else to consider and if you decide to "go a different way" (some people call it getting lost) nobody else inconvenienced So I happen to think your links are VERY useful I've been riding bikes nearly 50 years and this is one of the best little tricks Ive seen for a VERY long time Useful not only to those of us who are "geographically challenged" (cant read maps) But handy for seasoned travellers like me who can see at a glance if a ride out is "reachable" to make it worth joining in Even if we cant make the start point, with this "route display" it's easy to pick a point to join in Like I said, this is just MY OPINION Others will doubtless take, either a similar. or different view, which is the whole point of a discussion/debate Never ever fight Not worth it Cos even if you win You lose BTW ... I think you've already answered your question about putting links in posts because I've tried both those on the "Ride out thread" and they work just fine Only 1 minor query, apart from the list of waypoints, alongside the map, can you think of a way to quickly identify the direction of travel ? Now comes the thorny question ? Do we agree to adopt the practice for future **"rides"** as a "standard" feature and who's responsility will it be ? Are you volunteering to convert other peoples routes to a "clickable link" ? ** not meets**

Update Reply
Emzed @ 01/06/2012 22:10  

Sorry, skimming over this topic and i'm not sure what's being asked of me.

As has just been done above - you can post google links easily into BM forum posts to give the route of the ride out.

Update Reply
Matt @ 13/06/2012 22:32  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email