MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

What bike to get

What bike to get - Forums [Biker Match] What bike to get - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

What bike to get

Well I blame MCN Skeggers for this...... Anyone else see the BMW K1300S HP at the BMW stand..... I was kinda hooked...... So much so I have it all priced up and had a 3 hour test drive...... It handles like nothing else I have been.....unbelievable.... Before this I was pretty much hooked on the new model (larger Tanked) VFR 1200F ..... Which is a pretty good bike in its self and I am going to get a test drive on one next week...... BMW servicing is very good £160 @ 600 mile then £260 @ 6000, back to £160 @ 12000 and so on.... 2 years full warranty and extended for another two for £300...... I am a little put off by the price of the HP Version of the BMW and the lack of proper hard luggage.... But.... Did I mention the smile I had on my face after the test drive :-) So anyone got any points, ideas, opinions....... Sensible ones Jackie and relevant to the topic...... Lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/05/2012 22:13  

Hi johnnytb. I must say i do like the BMW's, they are great bike's. The only thing that put me off was all the extra costs for the optional extra's. I am a little bias here because i have one, take the Kawasaki 1400GTR for a test ride, i love it. Can't advise on the service cost because i have a mate in the trade who does mine for me but i'm sure you could find out. It comes with "hard luggage" side panniers and you can buy a matching top box if you need one. It has great power and is sooooo comfy, you have to go a long way before the numb bum sets in. Let me know what you think if you try one out, see if you get the big smile from the Kawasaki. All the best and good luck.

Update Reply
AndySimmo @ 01/05/2012 22:30  

Hi Johnny, we (welll SPESH) has the K1200R & we absolutely LOVE it. it'll be a hooligan & a sophisticat all in one go! We toured Spain on her last year (the nice wibbly roads not the Motorways!), did nearly 2000 miles with no problems - fully loaded & 2's up. We bought GIVI hard Luggage for her (& the fittings) got them off e-bay virtually brand new for only a couple of hundred £s. He's now thinking about a K1300R...but only cos it's got a quickshifter on it! I sat on that K1300 at MCN & I must admit THAT seat is well comfy!!

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 02/05/2012 09:10  

Johnny, the BMW servicing does reach a high on the 18k stages when its plugs and shimming check time, also when hydraulics need total change, my 18k was £413 36k was £516. Would be more if I let them change brake pads. Cannot find my bill for 48k but think was £250.

Update Reply
harry worth @ 02/05/2012 19:56  

Thing is my VFR is expensive servicing and it's every 4000 miles and the 16000 or 20000 mile service is a biggy with the shimms, the BMW just seems solid and well finished....could do with a hugger and some decent hard luggage..not a fan of the semi rigid expandable ones that BMW supply...there tiny compared to the VFR, as Holmfirthgirl says you can get GIVI, it's still around £15800 with the alarm fitted..... Ouch......but he'll, he offered me £4500 for my VFR VTEC ABS, full Honda service history....bike has done all it's miles on the motorways of UK and Europe...it never gets hammered 19000 miles on a 09 2009, it's got all hard colour coded Honda hard panniers and top box, the kit for running it with out the pannier and top box mounts are still in their wrapping along with the single seat cover....and spare box keys.....he is taking the piss!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/05/2012 21:42  

Just bye the BMW

Update Reply
sumodwarf @ 02/05/2012 21:54  

TBH you'll always get shafted on the part exchange deal. Sell yours through bike trader and then buy a year old model with all the extra's. I paid a low book price for my beemer, and it also had nearly two grands worth of extra's on it aswell. As HFG has said I love my K1200R, its not to everyones liking. But who cares its not there bike its mine :-)

Update Reply
SPESH @ 02/05/2012 21:58  

Can't buy a year old model the HP version just released in February, Alex I'm so tempted..... Its great bike

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/05/2012 12:58  

go on Johnny - you know you want to........ ...it's calling your name - "Johnny...come get me....I need you....."

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 03/05/2012 13:05  

Ha ha as Bobkat would say ..."is that code for something" pmsl

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/05/2012 11:54  

Ha ha as Bobkat would say ..."is that code for something" pmsl

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/05/2012 11:54  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email