MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Bike saftey video

Bike saftey video - Forums [Biker Match] Bike saftey video - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Bike saftey video

Just found this on a classic bike site you may find some outdated but best I have seen http://classic-motorbikes.net/videos-228-methods-of-the...perts-1955

Update Reply
JP @ 27/04/2012 13:56  

I enjoyed watching that J P, thanks. Considering how old that footage is the stunts were pretty good. Nice to know that some things have improved since then tho, the clothing and helmets for one.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 27/04/2012 15:29  

there is a lot of good info in there for new riders, it will bring a smile to a lot of older rider on the memory side. anybody from the wirrel area recognize the roads ?

Update Reply
JP @ 27/04/2012 15:58  

ah that was brill JP loved it and all that has changed really are the bikes and the gear.... still same old lessons to learn .... nice one cheers one tip i never thought of tho that this vid gave me was the old newspaper down chest to keep wind out!!! bit cheaper than the windproof gear on sale now!! heeheehee.... love it thanks

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/04/2012 22:01  

Classic, I love it

Update Reply
davidneale @ 27/04/2012 23:07  

Loads of roads I recognise round Liverpool and the Wirral looking a lot quieter than they are now, plus one Arthur Sir, who taught me to drive on a Renault 5 back in the 70s. Makes me feel seriously old!

Update Reply
Wills @ 28/04/2012 01:13  

Wills I thought you may have recognised a few roads but not the folk in the film lol

Update Reply
JP @ 28/04/2012 11:02  

Loved it! Good find JP.
Did anyone notice the car driving over the zebra crossing while there was someone waiting? Just shows inconsiderate drivers have been around for many years.

Update Reply
Zedbiker @ 28/04/2012 12:09  

Speaking as someone that spends all day driving around some of the more classy areas of Brum all day. There's an awfull lot more of em around now Zed. Good find JP.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 28/04/2012 12:23  

Quality link JP, cheers!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 28/04/2012 19:19  

This was a little before my time, but not so different when I started riding. In those days you could ride any motorcycle, with or without side car on an 'L' plate and without any training. Your mates would just show you how to change gears and pull away. Then the world was your oyster. The accident rate wasn't particularly higher than at any other time but people did have road sense. Most kids were given proper training for cycle riding, hand signals etc. That was the cycling proficiency test carried out at most schools. I am not sure if this still happens but if it doesn't it should be brought back. I could go into the present day cyclist behavior but not on this thread. It was plain from the film that our rights as motorcyclists have neen eroded over the years and continue to do so. In the film there was no Hi vis, no helmets, no indicators (appart from hand signals) and no particular convention for clothing. For some reason hand signals have been droped from tests and training. I don't agree with that, as there is no allowance for a failure of your indicators. I forgot. During that era, most families did not have cars. it was either motorcycle of some sort, push bike, walking or the bus. As I said before it was a brilliant film and a reminder of what was probably the hay day of british motorcycling.

Update Reply
davidneale @ 28/04/2012 19:42  

JPH, I was brought up in a motor industry family, and also my dad was nearly 50 when I was born, so I knew all the old characters in the trade when I was a kid, including Victor Horsman who introduces the film.

Update Reply
Wills @ 29/04/2012 00:37  

Hope it put a smile on your face seeing old friends wills

Update Reply
JP @ 30/04/2012 19:00  

So much of that is still covered in todays CBTs and DSA, i need to get a copy so i can take the michael out of one of the older instructors i work with.

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 01/05/2012 01:19  

Cool find JP, They deffo don't make them like they used to. Great vid, blunt and to the point. Maybe the DoT should spend a few of the coffers they rake in on making a more modern version.

Update Reply
bomb doctor @ 03/05/2012 09:43  

Dont think it was anythink to do with the gov I think it was a fime made by a shop ? But yes thay should take a look at it there is alot of stuff in there that only come with years of riding

Update Reply
JP @ 03/05/2012 15:56  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email