MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

St George's day

St George's day - Forums [Biker Match] St George's day - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

St George's day

HAPPY ST GEORGE`S DAY....ANYBODY OFFENDED BY THIS FEEL FREE TO EXIT BY THE TUNNEL PROVIDED

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 23/04/2012 12:57  

Got my flag flying from my radio mast at home.

Update Reply
Phil @ 23/04/2012 13:18  

my dragon says you're biased................

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 23/04/2012 13:54  

any excuse is better than none

Update Reply
Jack Jones @ 23/04/2012 22:36  

If anyone is offended by that, they should not be living here!

Update Reply
davidneale @ 24/04/2012 06:07  

I missed this thread, I was busy yesterday getting to grips with Maths again so I can do my course work. I don't really like saying HAPPY St George's day as the 23rd April is the anniversary of his DEATH. ' Saint George's Day is *celebrated on 23 April, the traditionally accepted date of Saint George's death in AD 303' *I think that word should be commemorated. Anyway, I'll try to be on time next year.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 24/04/2012 10:13  

its the thought that counts! a bit of food for thought St George was from Rome St Andrew was from Palestine St Patrick was from Brittain(taken by irish raiders) St David was from Wales!

Update Reply
bobbyfrankenstein @ 24/04/2012 11:04  

I learn something new each day, thanks for the info Bobby

Update Reply
Sandi @ 24/04/2012 11:49  

St George was from Rome

He also isn't a Saint he was stripped of that by the Pope as there is no such things as a dragon so he was seen to have lied

So it's actually Happy George day

No tunnels leading up here just great biking roads

Update Reply
madscots @ 24/04/2012 12:03  

Negative sod! How did the Pope know, where was his proof? Did Rome have a Pope in the year 303? Why is it HAPPY? The guy died, that's not a nice thing to say. You bad!

Update Reply
Sandi @ 24/04/2012 12:14  

Dragons must be real they are in the flag of Wales! Doubt if George killed one though! He was behead in 304 for being a christian, not recommended for a serving roman soldier in Palestine! First pope not sure but think it was gregory about 600!

Update Reply
bobbyfrankenstein @ 24/04/2012 13:04  

St. George must have been a modern dude, to be a Christian in Rome when most other folk were Catholics, and a brave dude too.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 24/04/2012 13:11  

err st george was turkish

Update Reply
kaycat @ 24/04/2012 13:16  

you mean there is more than one?!

Update Reply
bobbyfrankenstein @ 24/04/2012 13:21  

Info taken from the BBC website Saint George is the patron saint of England. He's popularly identified with England and English ideals of honour, bravery and gallantry - but actually he wasn't English at all. Very little, if anything, is known about the real Saint George. Pope Gelasius said that George is one of the saints "whose names are rightly reverenced among us, but whose actions are known only to God." Everything about Saint George is dubious, so the information below should be taken as mythical rather than real. Born in Cappadocia, an area which is now in Turkey Lived in 3rd century AD His parents were Christian Later lived in Palestine Became a Roman soldier Protested against Rome's persecution of Christians Imprisoned and tortured, but stayed true to his faith Beheaded at Lydda in Palestine 23rd April was named as Saint George's day in 1222 He is patron saint not only of England but also of Aragon, Catalonia, Georgia, Lithuania, Palestine, Portugal, Germany and Greece; and of Moscow, Istanbul, Genoa and Venice (second to Saint Mark). He's also patron saint of soldiers, archers, cavalry and chivalry, farmers and field workers, riders and saddlers, and he helps those suffering from leprosy, plague and syphilis. In recent years he has been adopted as patron saint of Scouts.
Some people have campaigned for Saint Alban to be the patron saint of England instead of George.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 24/04/2012 13:26  

Saint Alban gave shelter to a Christian priest fleeing persecution by the Romans.
Moved by the priest's faith, Alban became a Christian, and the two men swapped cloaks, enabling the priest to escape.

Alban was arrested instead, brought to trial and beheaded on the hill where St Albans Cathedral now stands.

The Dean of St Albans, the Very Reverend Jeffrey John, said: "Saint Alban, was a man of tremendous courage who stood up for truth and fairness and paid the price.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 24/04/2012 13:30  

Does England have any English Saints? 8 according to this website (most names don't seem English tho) http://www.britannia.com/bios/saints/

Update Reply
Sandi @ 24/04/2012 13:32  

i put forward sir alf ramsey! ST ALF!

Update Reply
bobbyfrankenstein @ 24/04/2012 13:37  

two different georges! St. George the Martyr is not the same person as George of Cappadocia the dissolute bishop of Alexandria, who is not considered a saint by any stretch of the imagination. While many of the stories surrounding St. George the Martyr are undoubtedly just legends, the Church has no doubt that he did, indeed, exist and gave his life as a martyr. When Emperor Diocletian ordered that all Roman soldiers known to be Christians be arrested and executed if they refused to renounce their religion, George stood fast and was beheaded in 304 AD. George of Cappadocia was murdered by an angry Alexandrian mob on December 24, 361. Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_did_Saint_George_become_a...z1sxdqNBcv

Update Reply
bobbyfrankenstein @ 24/04/2012 13:40  

Ee by gum! Lad, I'm getting an edumacation today, lol, thanks Bobby. PML @ Alf Ramsey. He's a former football manager int he?

Update Reply
Sandi @ 24/04/2012 13:46  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email