MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

MOT Question

MOT Question - Forums [Biker Match] MOT Question - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

MOT Question

Don't know if this is a numpty question or not BUT......the end of my clutch lever (the little ball) broke off a while ago. It's usuable but my MOT is due soon - is this a failure? or should I get a new clutch lever before taking it for its MOT?

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 16/04/2012 15:09  

as long as there are no sharp edges i cant see any issues. give the mot station that you are going to use a call and ask them.

Update Reply
Phil @ 16/04/2012 15:57  

There are very seriose safety issues change it NOW before you use the bike again hun please

Update Reply
JP @ 16/04/2012 16:59  

new one ...simples

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/04/2012 17:04  

hiya HMG .... my xt nearly failed on the ball missing off the clutch lever but the man had one in stock a couple of quid .... the ball or angled end is a safety feature to stop your fingers from slipping off the lever probably in wet weather or wearing textile gloves .... also depends on the MOT testers descretion at the time or mood lol... hope this helps .....pete......

Update Reply
nellie @ 16/04/2012 17:24  

While there is no requirement for the ball end there is a minimum radius requirement so any sharp edge or if in the opinion of the tester the damage impedes it's function or safety then it fails.

If it does have any sharp edges then you are also running the risk of a ticket for riding a defective bike on the public highway.

Update Reply
Gloom @ 16/04/2012 19:17  

If you don't want to buy new lever, most balls have a hole on the underside, file end of lever to fit hole and araldite in. Where a lever had a ball its a fail without.

Update Reply
harry worth @ 16/04/2012 20:01  

thanks for your input guys...I'll get a new one It wasn't that I didn't want to get a new one...just hadn't got round to it

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 17/04/2012 08:23  

A ball on your clutch lever also prevents your handbeing skewered should have a tumble ... .. I already have a ball on my levers, but I do need a new pair of pilot road 2's and new brake pads :( lol

Update Reply
chris.sheridan @ 09/05/2012 19:52  

Just for ref. New clutch lever fitted and mot passed today. Even if i did get conned into taking it in :-)

Update Reply
SPESH @ 15/05/2012 23:08  

couldnt u just swopped it over to the other side after he looked at that side and passed it, hehe
or drilled a gobstopper to fit...

Update Reply
rossoandy21 @ 16/05/2012 00:03  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email