MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Nods, waves and leg shakes!

Nods, waves and leg shakes! (3) - Forums [Biker Match] Nods, waves and leg shakes! (3) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Nods, waves and leg shakes!

Being new to this biking malarkey, can anyone tell me the proper etiquette as to nodding, acknowledging etc? Also the correct signals to give oncoming riders if theres a problem ahead such as speed cameras, accidents etc. It would be much appreciated.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/02/2012 17:04  

Hi xSuzix, I was really having a go at the steel toe cap bad ass angry looking bikers with their frilly handbags strapped on the bikes.I'm not against Harley's my younger sister has a black metallic 100th anniversary model , drag bars,forward controls,custom seat , stage one ,does look and sound great! Now any Goldwing owners with their mobile Hindu temples want a go at me !

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/02/2012 17:27  

Hi Dave years ago it was a flash with the head lamp but because most bikes lights are on permanently it can't be done ,so a clear thumbs down is best A nod of the head to acknowledge then you have control at all times with you're hands on the bar's.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/02/2012 17:37  

Forgot to add,if a truck constantly flashes it is either the rozzer's or an accident slow down .

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/02/2012 17:40  

pmsl pj46 - that sounds like all my mates there in teh steel toe caps you described ...... hahahaha hahaha ya nutta
well yeah anyhow, happy biking and nods to everyone and yeah thumbs down for speed cameras and plod etc - youi will get to know what feels good Dave and what everyone is doing Happy biking

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/02/2012 17:53  

Ride safe xSuzix and friends long live SAMCRO

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/02/2012 19:07  

Thanks for that PJ46 and xSuzix, much appreciated, being new and all that, its a bit unnerving to start with but hope to get to know some of you.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/02/2012 15:46  

If there is a speed camera i use the old Jim Davidson "Nick nick" sign to let folks know.
I nod to most people unless i don't like the look of you!! lol

Update Reply
hdsnfun @ 06/02/2012 21:42  

When I first started riding , before the helmet law, you couldn't see if anyone was nodding or not . Your eyes were always full of tears, coz ''helmets were for poufs'' Lol .

But I imagine 100 years ago all car drivers waved or nodded at each other . And that's the main problem , numbers,.

30 year ago , we were all bikers together. Nowerdays there are lots of different groups of bikers. Not a good thing, I think.

Divide and conquer.

As more and more people turn to bikes.There will be more and more laws governing bikes and bikers . Squeezing out the individuality.

If you're too cool to nod at a fellow biker now , no matter what he's riding. I imagine that you'll be too embarrassed to nod , when you have to wear a full dayglo suit . Stick together.... Dusty ...

Update Reply
dustin666 @ 07/02/2012 08:50  

iv bin riding a long time even bin a DR...nothing wrong with a good old nod wre all bikers for gods sake KEEp NODding or shake a leg its what makes us diffrnt kevkool

Update Reply
spaceboy4 @ 07/02/2012 17:55  

One more thing when im in the car i always let bikes go some wave as a thank you , some dont why? im all for courtesy kevkoool ..oo0

Update Reply
spaceboy4 @ 07/02/2012 17:59  

Hi I’m new on here, when I’m out on my bike witch is most days I always nod at other bikers no matter what they ride, and if I see any biker's at the side of the road I slow down and give a to see if they are ok, and when filtering if a car pulls across to let me past I give them a wave as a thank you

Update Reply
tellsy @ 07/02/2012 23:30  

Nod me on here n il nod back, same on the bike.... iF I nod u out n about be polite n nod back if time allows,,, chose to be rude to me then I have a full vocab at my fingertips,,, chase me for your ignorance be warned 'I DO STOP'.

Update Reply
Gremlinmike @ 08/02/2012 21:39  

Do they teach you how to do the legshake on your CBT or do you have to wait for your DA training...

Update Reply
rockchickeelicious @ 09/02/2012 00:01  

in the uk a nod, wave or flash will do {headlight of course} im not sure about the leg shake thing... both feet on pegs at all times lol..kevkool even tho a nods as good as wink TeeHeehee

Update Reply
spaceboy4 @ 09/02/2012 10:34  

When I overtake a rider, I like to give them a friendly 'smack' on the back of their helmet... unless it is a sports bike rider with their arse up in the air, when a good old gooseing is called for. A couple of drawbacks though: a) I never know how this is received as I can see bugger all in my mirrors and b) I've never overtaken a bloody thing on my bike!! I think I will try this 'leg shaking' thing but from an insurance point of view, am I liable if they fall off when I am shaking their legs??

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 09/02/2012 17:01  

Nod to me and I nod back, simples

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/02/2012 18:50  

I always try to nod and wave if possible. I find in general its the sport bike riders who fail to respond especially the big bikes, a lot of these riders come into biking later in life do direct access then buy the fastest thing they can find on 2 wheels thinking they are bikers. Best fun is waving while riding my Harley I always use my right hand as using the throttle damper means she just keeps going.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/02/2012 12:30  

LoneWolf that was quite a howl , but fact of life tells us that nearly every body would like a bigger more powerful bike after passing their test. Did any one think you were not a biker because you bought a big slow Harley ! Anyway back to the forum if I see a Harley I will give them a nod and see what happens not a wave , because my right hand will have the throttle pinned to the stop !

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 12/02/2012 16:05  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email