MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Brake then clunk

Brake then clunk (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Brake then clunk (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Brake then clunk

Sorry Minnie! You were talking about snow, couldn't resist

Update Reply
YZFJohn @ 05/12/2011 13:06  

Yes you keep that white stuff up your neck of the woods.

Update Reply
harry worth @ 05/12/2011 19:39  

i suppose virgin snow does turn to grubby slush

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 06/12/2011 01:00  

yee Bill right messy!! Consider yer thread well an truly hijacked lol x

Update Reply
rossoandy21 @ 06/12/2011 10:12  

Is yer back wheel square n followin the front one ?

Update Reply
Littlefecker @ 06/12/2011 14:14  

Now look here!...Have you any idea of the anxiety my clunk is causing me you insensitive lot!

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 06/12/2011 17:11  

aah square wheel THAT would explain it lf hehe U btr take a look minnie...does the front wheel look a different shape ie rounded (thats lke a digestive biccy min) to the rear one which is perhaps more to the shape of a after eight mint (square)... Hope that helps minn...liike to help we does.....

Update Reply
rossoandy21 @ 06/12/2011 18:15  

nom nom nom....someone mention after eight mints?

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 06/12/2011 18:19  

so U gonna try rocking bike wiv brakes on when snowy stuff gone minn?

Update Reply
rossoandy21 @ 06/12/2011 18:27  

When conditions improve won't be able to stop me rockin Andy lol

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 06/12/2011 18:33  

lol minn....good fer ya...i was thinking more on yer little problem, but no answers lol hmm brake..clunk....it soes sound like u runnin sumone over lol

Update Reply
rossoandy21 @ 07/12/2011 20:31  

Sit on bike and rock it forward and back, does it clunk without brakes on?? If not, apply front brake only...does it clunk? if yes then it could be head bearing, loose caliper or disc or loose pads, or even a loose wheel spindle, could even be a failing/failed bearing. Could even be a problem with the forks. If not, apply back brake only....does it clunk? if yes then it could be loose torque bar, loose caliper or disc or loose pads, or even a loose wheel spindle, could even be a failing/failed bearing, or highly unlike but possible could be the cushdrive rubbers have worn.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 14/12/2011 16:49  

Cheers FJ. I've got loads of suggestions to try now. Don't have a garage so just waiting for an opportunity when it's not snowing, blowing a gale, lashing with rain, there's some daylight and I'm at home and I'm not getting ready to go out or suffering from a hangover lol!

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 14/12/2011 17:20  

Thats end of may then lol

Update Reply
JP @ 14/12/2011 17:26  

No JP, almost optimum conditions for conducting a clunk survey today, hurrah
and the good news is......No mysterious clunk since Podnil / Steve fettled my chain and the bad news is......front tyre went flat Never had a flat tyre before and thought those roads seemed terribly greasy today, so didn't stay out long...hope I haven't wrecked it

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 20/12/2011 14:21  

have you got fully floating discs as they wear they go clunk when you brake and pull away

Update Reply
baza 2458 @ 20/12/2011 16:56  

Awwwwww Minnie.
Sorry to hear about your flat tyre hun.
I very much doubt that you will have caused it any damage whilst riding. You would have to do a fair few miles with it completely flat to cause damage from the wheel rim digging into the tyre, so don`t worry.
Chances are you`ve just run over something. Use a car foot pump and pump it up and see if you can hear where the leak is coming from.
Occasionally a tyre may go flat for no reason, but if you can detect where the leak is coming from, draw a circle round it with a marker pen.

Hope you get it fixed

Update Reply
podnil @ 20/12/2011 23:06  

Hiya Steve.....bummer about the tyre but my daughter's boyfriend will give me hand with sorting that out But hey, thanks ever so for sorting out my chain...I really appreciate that I also found a devilishly clever place to hide the Grasmere gingerbread so it wasn't found by any offsprings, and I have just scoffed the last bit...cheers, cheers and thrice cheers! Doesn't take a lot to keep me happy lol

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 20/12/2011 23:26  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email