MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

Biker killed in collision with Deer

Biker killed in collision with Deer - Forums [Biker Match] Biker killed in collision with Deer - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

Biker killed in collision with Deer

Looks like I had a very lucky escape when I hit one last june...

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/2011/07...-28995772/

Take care out there folks, you never know what around the next corner or over that wall. I was lucky and walked away, maybe not next time.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 11/10/2011 18:41  

That's tragic.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 12/10/2011 02:18  

I had the same thing happen to me coming back from Squires one Wednesday night on the M62 doing silly speeds, suddenly there was a big Deer on the road in front of me, i could'n swerve so i just aimed for the back of it and managed to miss it but the draught from it blew me right across the road. I was at Squires again the following Wednesday night but dedicated to come home a different way but on a bypass near Hull another small deer ran across the road in front of me, i missed this one easy enough but a car going the opposite way hit it. I then diceded not to go to Squires any more that year on a Wednesday night.

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 12/10/2011 02:49  

That point on the TT used to have just grass fields at either side of it,... its one of the best bits, and you could see anything legging it across those fields before you got too close. Now with all the trees been planted, and cover growing, its a haven for the Roe and Sika deer up there, and from a lorry cab at first light, every morning there's 5 to10 grazing a few feet from the wall, all they have to do is walk 10 yards and they are hidden,... or until one decides to go the other way and cross the road.

Update Reply
Paj1369 @ 12/10/2011 06:44  

Didn't know you'd had a close encounter of the deer kind Bill! I've had 3 now cross the road within 'crap your pants' distance, luckily only one of which i hit, and even more luckily it was only a little un.
Sometimes make me think of keeping the sports bike just for trackdays.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 13/10/2011 20:06  

yes as i said i'v had 2 not looking forward to the 3rd but it is something that people ought to be a were of when they are out on there bikes, actuary i have had a 3ed encounter but that was on a Mountain Bike so dont suppose it counts

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 13/10/2011 22:57  

Geez a deer on a mountain bike!!??....Chasing you was he Bill

Update Reply
old red @ 13/10/2011 23:03  

I was riding down a track between two fields Old Red, it was quite narrow and below the level of the fields. The deer jumped over the hedges from one field to the other it actually went over the top of me, it's a good job it did't land on the path or it would of landed on top of me,

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 13/10/2011 23:54  

Yep, I had a squeaky bum moment with a deer on the M180 in Humberside yonks ago...not nice

Would have been even less nice for both of us if I'd hit it.

Update Reply
Wills @ 14/10/2011 00:02  

The media just cannot get away from the chance of demonising bikers. Noticed they bring in 'notorious blackspot' etc to somehow imply that the biker should never have been on that stretch of the road. It makes you think they are only looking for witnesses to say he was riding too fast! Shame on the ars*hol*s.

Update Reply
Rattay @ 14/10/2011 11:34  

pmsl@ old red! Funny as ....

Mine was on a long straight stretch of road, 6am, fairly blatting along at the speed limit..., no trees on either side of the road, just a grass verge with a ditch and dry stones walls. The deer must have been down in the ditch eating. Maybe the sound of bikes coming startled it, but by the time i saw it as it appeared against the tarmac from the undergrowth, it was half way across the road. Braked as hard as the 4 pot radial tokicos would allow but without attempting to swerve, as that would have ended in certain disaster.
The ensuing impact, as my mate a 100 yards back reported was just like a mini explosion, splattering the bike and me in blood, bits of meat, fur, you name it. The impact veered the bike off to the left in a big wobble towards the grass verge, as it hit the right front of the bike. God knows how, but somehow regained control before mounting the grass. Upon stopping, the extent of the damage was very evident. Destroyed mudguard and right side fairing, bent and leaking radiator, lower fork leg casting bent, top fairing broken underneath, headlamp lens intact but all mounts and casing broken, and later discovered frame was bent too.
No surprises that the deer didn't make it , in fact we never found it's head, it certainly didn't seem to be attached the the mangled carcass we found in the ditch some way up the road. Riding the bike back, the stench was unimaginable, something i never ever want to have to experience again.
So yes, it cost me a fair chunk of money to sort, the frame straightening alone was £325 plus two 120 mile round trips to deliver and collect. Did luckily manage to get second hand bits to get it usable again, but still was over £700 to sort.

I consider myself VERY lucky. I walked away from it, and walked away away a safer rider too, just goes to show that you never, ever know what's around the corner, or even along a straight road where you think nothing could pull out on you. Was a big wake up call, if it'd been a sheep that weighed a lot more than a roe deer, or heaven forbid a full size deer, then i've little doubt the outcome wouldn't have been quite so kwakarider friendly.

Take care folks, and EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 15/10/2011 14:52  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email