MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

cx500 overheating problem

cx500 overheating problem - Forums [Biker Match] cx500 overheating problem - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

cx500 overheating problem

A friend of mine has a trike, its a cx500. He has a problem with it over heating, we've flushed the system, cleared the muck from the rad, tried another thermostat, even ran it without a thermostat. The water pump is working and the rad fan is too, we're now at the pulling hair out and wacking it with a lump hammer stage, any suggestions anyone please

Update Reply
gordon62 @ 24/06/2010 09:56  

isn't running way lean is it? if water pump is fine, rads getting hot and fans are working, then its another logical solution.... that or poss head gasket. is it loosing water or pressureising?

Update Reply
DeeStruction @ 24/06/2010 20:21  

seam to remember cx500's having water pump problems but its along time ago since i looked at one of them engines

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 24/06/2010 20:59  

does the engine overheat quickly or slowly?if its not losing water probable fault is a blocked rad,it only has to be blocked about10%,and it overheat,try another rad and see if it still overheats.

Update Reply
whiteairedfox @ 24/06/2010 21:04  

Is it a replacement engine of unknown origins or been left standing? Were there any other symptoms? If its been run without anti freeze the radiator, block or heads could be blocked or coroded internally, if its been stood inactive for along period other corosion or oil seal damage may have occoured.

Update Reply
yamahama @ 24/06/2010 21:15  

This maybe a silly question,but how do you know it`s overheating?
Is it blowing coolant out? Or is the temp gauge(can`t remember if the CX was fitted with one)reading high-could just be a faulty sender unit.

Update Reply
Wraith750 @ 24/06/2010 23:07  

Nealy's right, I recall from my time as a parts/warranty guy at a Honda main dealer that CX's had a lot of problems with the water pump impellor and seal. I also recall that they never really sorted the problem despite about 5 supercessions to the parts involved so most long term owners just went with replacing the affected bits on a regular basis.

Update Reply
Warhed @ 14/08/2010 05:57  

Done a bit of work around Trikes
Standard bike radiators are very stressed because the engine is having to wok much harder fro a given speed than in the original 2 wheeled configuration

CX500 uses a mechanical fan driven from the cam shaft the plastic fan have been known to be loose on the alloy bush witch fits the shaft
The ugly duct work around the radiator is important many trike builders remove it and you can get reduced cooling !

I would check the fan is tight to the shaft that the raditor is clean externly so you are getting a good flow of air though it

On a trike you may need to go to a larger radiator or additional electric fans to keep it all cool

A good test is to check that the trike will idle on the spot for a quarter of an hour at least

I would use an infered thermoniter to see what tempature verious bits get to the radiator should not exceed 110c
(remember water at pressure boile at a higher temperature !) system pressure should reach 1.1 / 1.5 bar above normal (printed on pressure cap )

Update Reply
davewilkins500 @ 14/08/2010 09:16  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email